Calling all speeding ticket experts!

Dubguy85

Just one thing to keep in mind, even if the judge makes it no points your insurance can still see it...

Points for violations refer to points on your driving license only.

Personal opinion yada yada yada

Bingo. This is what I was told. I am good friends with my agent and I had a lawyer too. I got a speeding ticket in Berea Ohio back in January for 71 in a 55. I was told by my agent that even if it was plea bargained down to a no points violation they could still tell it was a speeding ticket when my MVR was pulled at renewal. The good thing was since it was my first minor violation it was forgiven. I was going to fight it but in the end I just paid it because it was the middle of winter and I did not want to wake up at the crack of dawn to drive snow covered roads to a arraingment 2 hours away from Columbus when my insurance was going to forgive it anyways. Low and behold when my policy renewed my premium actually dropped. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what sucks the most about traffic court? You have to show up IN person, wait in a BIG room of people for your TURN, plea NOT GUILTY, then come back a month later to do it all again so you can argue your case...

ugh, what a pain

call these guys: Luftman, Heck & Associates

i had a ticket last summer. they charged $150 to represent you up to 3 times, basically until it would actually go to trial. you do not have to be present until the thrird time, if it goes that far.

so, i met him the first time, anyway. he was a little late so i talked to the proc first and he would do nothing for me. Note: if you have had a ticket in the last year you do not qualify for the remedial driving course, however, it seems to be an online course, or something; also, they no longer negotiate for a smaller fine or offer to pay the fee without points. i told the proc that i had a lawyer coming in and he placed my file aside. lawyer shows and talks to the proc, no dice. he goes the next time, no luck there either. third and final time is when the cop has to be there. as it turns out, the cop had some kind of issue with the way he was calibrating his laser, or some shit, and i got off that way and the incident removed from my record. payed my court fees and was on my way. cost me $230.

so, i would go that route. if you dont care about the money its the best way to go. my opinion is that the lawyers work with the procs all the time and know what to ask and how the process works; i.e., the proc could not have cared less if i died of a massive heart attack right there, but was chumming it up with my lawyer......dont know if it really matters, but wtf. i would have just payed the fine and been pissed about it and been a dick here on the politics forum, all the while having gotten a ticket from a flatfoot who didnt know how to tune his wand. anyway, whatever.....

Benjamin L. Luftman was my representative.

for the record, i was going every bit of the speed for which i was fined........but i feel not guilty. :cool:

if you are going to franklin county court for the ticket, its always worth it to fight it. franklin county is the busiest court in the state, so they are usually willing to deal with you since it gets you off their docket, and they can deal with the 200 other people they have lined up for the day.

if you get a ticket in some bumfuck little town with mayors court, its not worth it. they dont have shit to do, and are just waiting for you to come in so they can fuck you. full cost of the ticket, plus court costs etc.

Nothing is ever purged, removed or banished from records.

The judge can see everything right there in front of him, in that folder.

Those records are not for public use, but state and federal can access them.

• 2 weeks later...

Referencing our thread: http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=56037

I wondered if there are any LEOs or OSHP troopers with experience on how they use airplanes to issue speeding tickets. I'm more interested in the methodology and the technology used. The citation is marked 'Air' and not 'VASCAR' - so I'm curious as to what would shed some reasonable doubt on getting 4 motorcycles all traveling identical speeds and being able to identify each person on each motorcycle from the FAA mandated minimum height of 500ft over a rural area.

Legally, the blanket 'cast the net' (one bike = all bikes in group) for speeding doesn't hold a lot of water does it? How can 4 bikes have identical speeds?

Figured it couldn't hurt to ask on here and get some opinions to help me build a case prior to the arraignment, just in case they decide to try us on the spot (I plan to request a trial by judge or motion for a continuance to have time to file for discovery and subpoena evidence/witnesses if that situation should arise). I'm hoping to plea bargain. Win-win for everyone.

Edited by JRMMiii

Most Air traffic citations use visual cues from my understanding. In PA they use lines on the highway measured at an exact interval, then average speed has to apply.

This is why some states toll booths can issue tickets. You travel 100 miles and your time elapsed is 1 hour... that indicates that at SOME point in the trip you HAD to be traveling faster that 100 MPH.... now you could have been doing 200 MPH and then stopped for a half hour... but either way it's enough for anyone with an accurate time and distance to determine at SOME point you crossed the threshold.

I forget which math law this is... I learned it in Calc as a part of orbitals or some shit... but I can't remember what it's called.

Most Air traffic citations use visual cues from my understanding. In PA they use lines on the highway measured at an exact interval, then average speed has to apply.

This is why some states toll booths can issue tickets. You travel 100 miles and your time elapsed is 1 hour... that indicates that at SOME point in the trip you HAD to be traveling faster that 100 MPH.... now you could have been doing 200 MPH and then stopped for a half hour... but either way it's enough for anyone with an accurate time and distance to determine at SOME point you crossed the threshold.

I forget which math law this is... I learned it in Calc as a part of orbitals or some shit... but I can't remember what it's called.

Correct, that is how they do it in Ohio. They take a one mile stretch of road and divide it into four sections and use a stop watch to see how long it takes you to cross each section. I would assume they would have a good argument as far as the trooper not having the exact speed of all of them because I doubt the pilot is working sixteen stop watches at the same time, especially when they said cars were pulled over at the same time. According to the article 97% of the people caught by air just pay the ticket so it wouldn't surprise me if the cop is banking on that.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/07q2/busted_from_cloud_nine-feature

Edited by Pedro

Good info thar... the key is, you can't really argue with math... "well your honor I wasn't traveling that speed"

What you CAN argue is that the ticket (written for unsafe speed for conditions) is invalid because you WERE traveling at a safe speed.

well, prove it then. I have progressive. Is my Ducati (street bike) covered at a mid-OH track day or not, I was told by progressive that it was, I was told by State farm that it would be and I was told by Geico that it was definitely not covered.

I'm not telling people to go on my word. Just saying this is what I was told by the agents.

dont go by just what the agent says either. go by WHAT IT SAYS IN YOUR POLICY. you did read your policy right?

i have progressive, and it clearly states an exclusion for any loss that occurs while driving on a race track or closed course.

interestingly enough, when i first got the policy, the exclusion was only for organized racing events. i.e. track days were fine, racing was not. however when i renewed, they said that they were expanding the exclusion to any loss while on a track period.

Anybody ever get out of one in Fairfield county?

I just got a ticket to the Policemans Ball in Lancaster. 61 in a 45 by a State Pooper.

Already have my freebie from 2008 on my record and interviewing for jobs where a clean driving record is required.

Advice?

No, I can't argue with math, but I highly doubt in the full compliment of gear, the pilot can tell who was on what bike...

Damn good find Pedro... I actually read that article about a year ago. Good on you to find it again

No problem man. I read it a while ago too and it is pretty informative.

Anybody ever get out of one in Fairfield county?

I just got a ticket to the Policemans Ball in Lancaster. 61 in a 45 by a State Pooper.

Already have my freebie from 2008 on my record and interviewing for jobs where a clean driving record is required.

Advice?

Go to court and plead down. If you absolutely have to have a clean record, you can bite the $200-300 bullet and lawyer up.