Carbone Lorraine C44 Brake Pad failure video

vw151

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good points IP. I agree that is contradictory. But I did speak to this guy on the phone and even though I picked up a bit of an accusatory tone from him in his post I really felt that he seemed like a very stand up guy that was willing to work to help me out and honestly investigate the situation.

I also understand his skepticism in that he knows of 3 cases out of thousands sold and I'm sure he's seen more than his fair share of improper application of the product. I work in IT and believe me I understand "user error."

I am not saying that it gives a manufacturer a free pass or that I feel happy with the way my CL pads performed. I'm just saying the jury is still out and no matter what Mathias says at the end of the day he is just a very knowledgeable reseller who truly believes in his product. It's ultimately going to be up to CL to come out and say what the hell happened with this pad and we'll likely here what CL tells Mathias to tell us. Maybe this is true maybe not. It's my feeling honestly that , if there was an issue, they likely dealt with it in releasing the C55 pads but that is just my conjecture on the limited information I've gathered through this whole posting my issue on the internet debacle. Of course there are still C44 pads for sale so what the liability is there I don't know. I'd love to speak to someone that can give me concrete information on which part numbers failed and why. Hopefully I'll hear that once my pads get looked at, which regrettably has not happened yet entirely because I just shipped the pads to Mathias today. I'm sure things will move quickly once he receives them tomorrow.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure what to believe or take away from his post but through this whole thing I've been trying to stay calm and remember that you catch more bees with honey or something like that. I don't want to just bash the guy unless he really deserves it. Believe me this situation pissed me off too.

Edited by vw151

Well' date=' unfortunately, the only way you could know for sure would be to not send your pads back to C/L for "analysis". An outside source is the way to go for that information. However, you cannot obtain your free replacements without playing ball with the manufacturer. So, toss the quarter in the air and choose what's more important to you in the end.[/quote']

Hadn't thought of that. Not a bad idea. They are already in the mail though so we'll have to have some faith in CL. Beyond that the facts are all over the internet to help people make decisions about what pad to run, how to run them, how to clean their brakes and everything else.

I'm hoping Mathias will post up as to what investigation will be done and the results of the previous investigations. I don't really know what the process involves.

BTW' date=' I'm in no way saying Matthias is a shady reseller. I've recommended him and bought from him several times. He's a stand-up guy and sells great products. I just don't like the automatic accusatory tone before the "analysis" determines the "facts". It's kind of like he already knows the outcome... you know?[/quote']

I've heard nothing but good things about the guy. I do know what you mean though. Honestly, I'm a little sensitive about the issue as well because the last thing I want this thread to turn into is a flame war. I don't think anyone has gotten out of hand on here yet but I know how the internet can be. You are totally right though IP, him coming on here and stating that Carbone Lorraine is not to blame right off the bat is ..... well I'm not sure what to call it. I just hope in the end this turns out well and something good comes from this. Him saying that does make me a little leery though. ugh.

Edited by vw151

I'm not buying the pad thinckness crap.

if that's the real case, why do they make the cut in the center (the cut that is for telling when the pads need replaced according to my bike's service manual)

go almost all the way to the back plate?

what happened to that pad is a simple failure of the material bonding to the back plate or the material is just junk. either way you slice it, they are a shitty brake pad. simple.

if my pads looked like the one's brian posted, I'd never buy that garbage again. I mean look at them, they are crumbling away. that says to me they are junk.

who cares anyway, what's done is done. just move on to something better... buy some Ferodo's and be happy. lol

Edited by serpentracer

• 4 weeks later...
Well vw it has almost been a month, have you heard anything from CL yet? I'm betting they tossed them in the incinerator...

No word yet. I'll give it a few more weeks and call Mathias. Not sure if he reads the forums or subscribed to the thread. Maybe he'll post up when he hears something.

• 2 weeks later...