RSVDon is down.

RSVDon

Buuuuut, I'm still here breathing and walking so I guess that's good right. :D

Long story short, warming up tires, braking fairly hard, bike either locked a wheel or lifted the tail, not sure. Bike folded under, I went off the left side, did a couple of barrel rolls, and stopped rolling to watch my bike go sliding and sparking down the road. Probably dropped around 35 mph.

Damage report:

Me- skinned knees, bruised hip, stubbed thumb, and a busted ego.

Bike- turn signal, shift lever, bar end, and one plastic. The frame and swingarm sliders worked perfectly, didn't even touch the tail! Bike was actually still ridable.

Gear- helmet took a nice hit to the temple and face shield broke off, I didn't even feel a hit (Shoei FTMFW!). Jacket got scuffed but no seams busted or anything, boots worked perfectly, gloves worked perfectly and were very slightly scuffed.

Big thanks to CBRZach for riding the bike back to his place and taking care of things along with another friend of mine.

Now, time to bandage up the scrapes on my knees and go to fukin bed. See y'all in the morn.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one walks away. I know it hurts. You'll probably have the repairs done before completely healing up.

Cold tire incidents seem to be the issue. It sounds like the front tire stopped turning, and lost traction on a bit of pavement that didn't want to cooperate. Above and beyond, almost all incidents are an issue of traction and grip on the roadway. I guess we can't always have it. We just have to manage what we can get.

Everyone's done it a few times. Even me, if you count a 5mph dump on ice, when it was 38F outside. Frost warning shouldn't be ignored. Duh me.

Jeez o' Petes.... You guys are makin' me afraid to get the freakin' bike out :nono:

What is this.... 3 this week?!?

Glad you're ok

:plus1:

Glad you're ok, sure you'll be aching a bit for a few days.

All of this crashing talk has me scared into riding even more carefully. Time to get moving and get prepared for the ride today, gear, AND mentallity.....

Glad you're OK Don. Where was this at?

North Fairfield Road over the 675 Bridge.

Not quite sure what happened other than the bike completely folded under me right after the bars went full cock to the right. Recon Rats recap is probably right, and when it finally bit, the steering was cocked.

Luckily my buddy was behind me in his vehicle and it was a very low traffic situation so nobody else was an issue and we were able to get the bike up and out of there.

As I sit here in bed with both knees hurting a little still, I'm definitely thinking under-jean kneepads sound fantastic. I knew that was the one weakpoint to my gear setup and now that thought was just reinforced.

Damage actually looks pretty inexpensive. In terms of legality and riding, all I need is a turn signal and a shift lever. Cosmetic I haven't quite evaluated yet.

Soooo, I guess it was bound to happen sometime. I'm glad my learning experience was a relatively light one. I got off pretty lucky.

Sorry to hear that Don. I got replacement levers quickly from Vlad at motoworld from the forum. Bar ends are twenty a piece for the Aprilia weighted. I got a simple pair of track sliders for a Yamaha clearanced at Iron Pony for like $5.00. I still have the helibars for the old Mille if the clip on is bent too, if needed. I got a new set with the Falco (different size).

Get better, man!

Sorry to hear that Don. I got replacement levers quickly from Vlad at motoworld from the forum. Bar ends are twenty a piece for the Aprilia weighted. I got a simple pair of track sliders for a Yamaha clearanced at Iron Pony for like $5.00. I still have the helibars for the old Mille if the clip on is bent too, if needed. I got a new set with the Falco (different size).

Get better, man!

Ok, cool man, thanks so much! Ive got a set of heli-bars as well sitting around. Luckily I think the way the bike went down that it didn't even hit hard on the clip-on. Who knows, too much adrenaline to do much else other than get to safety and calm down. I go today to pick up the bike from a buddy's house. I'll get some pics of the (light) damage. Well......hopefully light.

Edited by RSVDon