cruiser questions.

redrocket04

Just looking for opinions here. Let's say I know a certain guy who rides a CBR600RR. It's not his first bike, but it's also not the most comfortable thing he ever sat on, and he's contemplating a cheap second bike, which would be the daily rider, and the CBR would become more of the track variety.

My choices for said cheap bike at the moment, are:

2003 Suzuki Volusia 800. It's got 7,000 miles, decent tires, 3 owners, as has aftermarket radio, as well as Corbin seat, and passenger seat with sissy bar. It's not EFI.

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. This one has 20,000 miles, decent tires, but will need replaced before next season, 1 owner, includes manuals, some kind of aftermarket pipes, I forget the brand, passenger seat with sissy bar. 20,000 commuting miles, and the guy is a motorcycle tech for a dealership.

Both are priced well. Obviously, the Volusia is a little less expensive, but not by much.

Do any of you have experience with either of these bikes? Are they good for what I'm looking at?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt this certain guy already go down this path with a similar thread only to get nowhere? Is someone needing some attention:)

No, that certain guy was looking to REPLACE the CBR entirely. Then he fell in love with the CBR, and it's not going anywhere, but he still kinda wants a comfy bike, too... :D

Didnt this certain guy already go down this path with a similar thread only to get nowhere? Is someone needing some attention:)

I think someone needs to tell the GF that he's riding, and if she doesn't like it, too bad! :D

On the serious side, I tend to prefer Cowasockee myself. Take a spin on each of them and see what you think of them. I just don't think I'd be thinking about a cwoozah, but maybe a VFR.

You are welcome to throw a leg over my Vulcan 500. just about the same frame with the bigger motor.

I like mine. I like the look, and how it feels. I will likely marry it after I get the carbs fixed up.

Totally unrelated, but I think I can threadjack my own thread... I went to Honda Northwest today. Side note, they're not very friendly there, are they?

Anyway, I checked out a new 600rr while I was there. Just sitting on it, made me feel like mine is a freaking Harley ultra classic. The new ones, they're so light. :)

Most metric cruiser dudes I know like:

Yamaha Star the best - it's the first choice

Honda for reliability and everything else that makes Honda good

Suzukis for price - (not as reliable)

Dunno what to say about the Kawasakis, other than they are probably fast

When you start buying cruisers, you won't be happy out on the highway, till you get up around 1100cc to 1800cc. They weight a lot, and need the extra power/displacement.

If it were me, I'd get the Vulcan. Newer, faster, owned by a tech, and name sounds neater.