What kind of gun??

hollywood3586

I utilize a .357 with hollow points for home defense. Just know your hearing will be gone for a LONG time if you have to fire in a house. :lol:

you know i shot an AR the other day, i dont know what the hell it was but it was REALLY BIG, and i could not hear for a good 30 to 40 secs. Thats bad huh?! lol it kind of scared me, the gun had no real kick to it but it was SO LOUD!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sir, by no means, am a small woman. lol Im thinking of something smaller also to hide from my daughter. I have a three year old and have to keep it locked up. so for something being under my bed or in my closet i think a 9 is the choice we might go with. :)

I dont want to start a rant or big debate but.. I hate it when peeps say they need to hide it from thier kids. That is bad, why, because they WILL find it and be curious and mess with it and thats when the bad happens. Show it to them and educate them and for gods sake let them touch it then when they come across it and youre not around its not new and interesting to them its old news they'll move on to somthing else.

I dont want to start a rant or big debate but.. I hate it when peeps say they need to hide it from thier kids. That is bad, why, because they WILL find it and be curious and mess with it and thats when the bad happens. Show it to them and educate them and for gods sake let them touch it then when they come across it and youre not around its not new and interesting to them its old news they'll move on to somthing else.

oh no trust me she will know about it but she is about to turn three... i dont think shes at the age to even remember what i will be telling her about a firearm. but until then i would keep it up and away from her.

Mine got her first gun on her 4th birthday, a pellet gun granted but a gun none the less and started learning then. She is 10 now and is shooting everything I own even the AK and will lay groundhogs out with it at over 100yrds and is far better than her mother with a pistol as well. Start em young and teach them right so they wont be the next statistic.

That works great at the range' date=' but not very applicable to an invasion or DFE.

[url']http://www.vpc.org/studies/uninfour.htm

You do realize that you quoted an anti-gun group right? Using the VPC for any gun related argument earns you a 1 month timeout on firearms threads buddy. Go hang your head in shame and sit in the corner.

If you learn to aim caliber size is irrelevant. The double tap is a fine art to learn as well.

That being said I have 22, 9 and 40 but will grab the 9 first.

A gun is better than no gun. However, small caliber weapons should never be the first choice for self defense. .380 minimum for carry (size compromise), .38 or 9mm minimum for home defense.

the judge holds 6 rounds and if you miss 6 times with it you should NOT even have a gun in your hand

Okay, 6. But thinking of home defense, personally I would want as many rounds as I can have. For all I know 2 or three guys could break in my house. Sure I am out numbered but I will go down fighting. One shot to the head on each would be perfect but that will never happen. That's just my 2 cents.

Holly, Don't forget about the correct ammo for whatever you get. Get some hollow points, don't use FMJ.

I sir, by no means, am a small woman. lol Im thinking of something smaller also to hide from my daughter. I have a three year old and have to keep it locked up. so for something being under my bed or in my closet i think a 9 is the choice we might go with. :)

Good thinking regarding "locking it up". Kids will find guns. I did. Most on this forum knew exactly where the hidden guns were. I have a Gun Vault at bedside... I'd suggest the same or similar for anyone. However, I make sure that my kids see the guns, touch the guns, and ask about the guns as often as they like. I don't want to create a mystery. As for the gun, as said before... get one that you will shoot comfortably and then go out and practice. You'll find a full-size 9mm pretty easy to handle.

9mm at the minimum and not as hard on your ears as a .357 but I love my Ruger, plus I only have one gun. It's always next to me and it's not like I have to go searching through a house when I suspect an intruder, which you should never do anyways since I live in a small apartment. If you think that there is someone in your house, secure your children and call the police, while you and your family wait in the room that you have designated as a safe room, armed of course. You can play the hero and go looking for the bad guy and maybe you won't get ambushed, maybe.

Boy i bet the neighbors keep tight rein on there cats if you hear somthing in your yard... :D

Nah, 223 would be overkill for cats. .17hmr on the other hand.....

I spent one summer working from home with my 10/22 sitting in the window in case of groundhogs. It was a devastating summer for those varmints. :D

I don't want to start a rant or big debate but.. I hate it when peeps say they need to hide it from their kids. That is bad, why, because they WILL find it and be curious and mess with it and that's when the bad happens. Show it to them and educate them and for gods sake let them touch it then when they come across it and you're not around its not new and interesting to them its old news they'll move on to something else.

I agree, but at the same time, I keep my guns in small safes around the house. Something the kids can't get into, but I can in a hurry.

Good advice from everyone.

Be aware that any round fired that misses, can go out through the wall of your house, through the entire neighbor's house if it's lucky, and even enter a third house before stopping. It happened here in my neighborhood. It wasn't me. It was only a 22cal, and it was lucky.

Not only the sound of a magnum revolver can be overwhelming, but the flash in a dark room might blind you from firing again real soon. But it does the same for your opponent.

The sound of a shotgun loading is said to make half the opponents run, and the other half freeze. But that is for LEOs, I have no idea what happens at home. If I lived in a neighborhood where firefights were common, I think I'd move. You can always come back to visit a firefight.

Target identification is as important as anything else. It's often in the dark. That's why everyone is saying a flashlight or two is just as important. You must identify what you are shooting at. That requires bravery, quickness, and intent to defend quickly. That means practice moving around in your own dark house. Find the places that provide cover from being visible, and hopefully cover from return fire. Sounds extreme, but it's necessary to survive. This part has to be thought out ahead of time. There will be other things happening to distract. Vocally challenging the intruder to stop, surrender, or run is probably necessary if you can't make a positive visual identification. Sometimes they tell you to go back to the bedroom and let them take your stuff, that's identification.

Consider motion detection lights that spotlight your entryways or windows when something moves. Or gives a silent alarm, so you can move into position beforehand, and watch the fool with confidence.

I like revolvers. They are stupid proof, I don't have to be awake to use one. I tend to think that 5 or 6 rounds are enough, but I'd be wrong. The best world is to have a revolver and a large capacity semi-auto. And I suppose three hands to hold them and the flashlight. Practice.

I don't like magnum revolvers. They really aren't for a one handed grip on most people. I can do it, but the muzzle tends to jump and shoot high, missing the target. It requires concentration and lots of practice. But most magnums can be loaded with less powerful rounds, making them easily controllable. Then I like them a lot, the extra weight makes them extremely controllable.

I'd stick with what is known to work. 38cal and 357cal revolvers, and 9mm, 40cal, and 45acp semi-autos. And practice often. Just be aware that any shot can leave the area and go down the street, through the wall, etc. Shotguns with birdshot will not go very far, but can still go through the first nearby walls and wood that it finds.

And there really isn't anything wrong with a shotgun. A short 20 gauge or 16 gauge shotgun, instead of a 12 gauge, is a lot easier to control, and would work extremely well. And the kids can be taught on a 20 gauge. I really don't like just the pistol grip on a shotgun, but it does work better inside the house. It's just harder to aim. Practice. If you can't turn around in a hallway while holding a full length rifle or shotgun, without hitting the wall, it's a problem.

Get with someone, and try various pistols and revolvers (and shotguns) till you find what you like and want. Rent them at firing ranges if you have to.

And have fun, if you don't like doing this, it won't work out as well.

Edited by ReconRat