Nelson Ledges with FastTrax May 21, 22

deion27

Does anyone have any advise for a newbie at this track?

I don't race, but I was out there this last weekend with my buddy. My advise to you is to be VERY careful. That track is crap, it is a mess. Very rough and uneven. Be especially careful on the final back straight away. There is a dip you come out of that unloads your front tire just before you go into the last right hander......

This is what my friend looks like after that track Sunday. He messed up obviously but he is also very good at this.

4572944905_6f19b55842.jpg

Wow. I heard that there were alot of imperfections at this track, but its really that bad? I guess I didn't think it would be that bad with as many races that are held there through fasttrax. I'll be sure to really take my time out there as I'm not looking forward to going down again on just my second outing. Thanks for the warning.

The track is in rough shape, but to crash at 100 mph on the back straight isn't that fast there. Guys are still hitting 1:07s and around there at the facility... Well over 100 in the back. That hump or dip has been there for years. Try holding on to a race bike while tank slapping over that dip... In the pitch black night! Can be done, has been done and will continue to be done... Don't let it deter you from going up there...

The pic of the guy that crashed is a sign that the suit was inferior or didn't fit well... To cause that kind of burn and damage is not typical.

Nelson is fine at track day pace and even at FT race pace. It's rough. Don't walk the track at all even though you are allowed. It will mentally hose you for sure... Not sugar coating it as I have my own opinion, but for what you are going to do, it'll be fun for sure.

Just ride, have fun, listen to the coaches they have and enjoy.

any chance u could show a picture of the suit? i have a fieldsheer suit and it has held up well but it has not been 'tested' at speeds like that. knock on wood. p.s. sorry ur friend got hurt.

Fieldsheer but beyond that I don't know. He went down somewhere around 100 mph.

any chance u could show a picture of the suit?

Can't help you on a pic, he is far away. On the shoulder it was the stitching that gave away, I clearly remember seeing that. On the arm I can't say what happened.

Big +1 to everything STT-Brian said.

nelson ain't pretty, but it's not nearly as bad as it looks. At a novice pace, there's no reason to run off track.

the race line is decently smooth. breaking 1:10 is seriously fast at Nelson. I probably ride in the 1:18-1:20 range.

the back straight is MUCH faster than the front straight. front straight is 4th gear (i actually take turn 1 in 4th) on a 600, and you can get into 6th gear on the back straight if you have the balls to hold it wide open through the kink. At your second trackday, you won't.

That said, you want to at least have neutral throttle through the dip. DO NOT go through it on the brakes. It just upsets the chassis. if you want to go through the kind slow, that's not a terrible thing, just brake before-hand, and then throttle through it. It's totally unnatural, but it's definitely safer.

if i can convince my wife that riding 4 times in one month is affordable, I might be there on the 22nd, but it's doubtful. I MIGHT be able to come spectate and pit-bitch for you though.

Wow. I really appreciate all of the great advice. I'll definately watch for that dip at the end of that back straight. Sounds like a good place to practice working out my suspension adjustments. Hope to see you guys out there.