Sigma Computer

hue jass

I’m tired of my inaccurate speedometer so some guy on the FJR Forum has this mod where he puts a bicycle computer on his bike and gets totally accurate speed and trip. Sigma is a German company that makes really good bicycle computers. The guy with the FJR uses a wired model but I wanted to see if one of their wireless models would work on a bike - it does. You can’t use the magnet that clips onto the spoke obviously, so you have to epoxy a rare earth magnet available at Radio Shack (P/N: 64-1895 $2) to the disc carrier.

I was lucky that the RC has it’s rebound damping reservoir mounted externally so I could fasten the transmitter to it with a zip tie. The Receiver mounts with trim tape to the Woodcraft handlebar riser. Mounting the receiver is easy but mounting the transmitter could require some ingenuity if there isn’t a convenient place to put it, but anything is possible if you want it.

A tiny dot of 5-minute epoxy fastens the magnet to the rotor carrier and believe me, doesn’t come off (at least at 90mph) and only weighs about half a gram. To pair the transmitter with the receiver you just rotate the front wheel or start riding. You also have to get an accurate measurement for the circumference of the tire. I did it with blue painters tape around the tire and sliced with a razor, peeled off, layed-out on the floor and measured in millimeters. You simply enter this number into the computer exactly to the millimeter.

That’s it! No wiring and it works perfectly. The batteries in both the receiver and transmitter last for over a year and are easy to change out. It’s totally accurate and adjustable by changing the circumference value for the tire if necessary. The trim tape that holds the receiver onto the bar is strong. I found the computer on eBay for $45 with free shipping (Sigma BC 1009 STS).

Now I don’t have to guess how fast I’m going.

2j4x4xl.jpg

51y2hc.jpg

You can just about make out the magnet on the rotor carrier around to the right of the transmitter.

Here's a link that shows the Sigma, it's components and setting on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmJ3jKLy3s

Here's a link to the guy's install on the FJR site: CLICK

Edited by hue jass

I like my speedohealer. Nothing extra to look at on the gauges, and no wireing either it just plugs in took 5mins tops.

When I opened the package I said, 'Man I want to put this on my bicycle!' - I put it on the RC as planned. The great thing is you don't have to find correct speed to calibrate against. Get an exact measurement of the circumference and you're locked in. It was balls-on accurate. Was, that is - this morning I took it off and put it on my bicycle.:lol: Latest version of the SpeedoHealer is on the way.