The Official "Best and Worst places to get service done" thread.

warhols_

Alright. What is, hands down, the best, most trusted place to get your bike worked on?

What's the worst?

I'm new to riding, have an 02 CBR600F4i, and it needs its scheduled MX next year and I don't want any problems. I hate it when I take my cage in to get service done. I've had a lawsuit in the past with Firestone (when they put my timing belt on half backwards), and I don't EVER want to go through that again.

I've heard that Ohio Motorcycle is pretty good (off Cemetery road on the northwest side). I've also been told to never take your bike into Ask.

Alright, Discuss!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People you personally know who have their service done by others. That's a good place to start.

However, that said, you owe it to yourself to become rather educated on the mechanics and what is needed and how it is done on your own. That way, you can either do it yourself (my choice) or when you take it in, you know what really needs done and what it will take.

Buy a service manual (a factory one - not a Chilton replica) and look over it in detail. Understand what loose valve numbers do as opposed to tighter clearances, etc. You get the point.

If you just want to know a place to have it done, Mid-Ohio in Mount Vernon used to be pretty good. They have some decent service techs. Otherwise, no place in Columbus is referred to from what I ever hear. Especially street bikes.

I hear a lot about the guys in Heath. They are drag race based, but they seemingly know what to do. I'd start there or at Mid-Ohio...

I've actually heard bad things about Honda Northwest. Also, I have gone in there on more than one occasion and looked at their bikes. Not a single person comes up to me and asks if I need assistance or if I have any questions. I don't need to be badgered but I'd at least like to be acknowledged.

I heard the place in Mount Vernon was a good place. Too bad its an hour away. I took my bike to Motorsports on Morse road. They did a good job for me. Plus I like the fact they have their service room open to viewing. That being said, I know people on these boards that HATE Columbus Motorsports and wouldn't let them work on their Schwin.

I've actually heard bad things about Honda Northwest. Also, I have gone in there on more than one occasion and looked at their bikes. Not a single person comes up to me and asks if I need assistance or if I have any questions. I don't need to be badgered but I'd at least like to be acknowledged.

I heard the place in Mount Vernon was a good place. Too bad its an hour away. I took my bike to Motorsports on Morse road. They did a good job for me. Plus I like the fact they have their service room open to viewing. That being said, I know people on these boards that HATE Columbus Motorsports and wouldn't let them work on their Schwin.

Yeah, Northwest's sales department blows. None of the guys really know anything unfortunately. They're simply salesmen. The service guys seem good. I'll try and get the name of the one guy I used to hang out with and talk to there. He seems to know a few things and is kinda old school. Watch the newbies with the MMI certs. They ain't always the best even though a document says otherwise... At our shop, we had a young gun come out of MMI and we replaced him within 6 months. He needed more guidance and we essentially were paying two techs to work on one bike...

Anyways, again, I think find some buds you know you trust, learn the mechanics of your bike no matter what you own and ask them what they think and check the shops out. Ask questions. If you ask detailed questions, they will respect you more, know you know what is the basic deal with whatever service you need done and will do it right knowing you'll probably catch it if it isn't...

Wait, that's probably too utopia-like....

My vote is for HNW also... just had some stuff done there and they were pretty easy to deal with.. took forever to get my bike back but they did good work. Speaking of which it loks kinda nice out.. I might go get my last ride of the year in lol

lol i went out yesterday too! it started pouring down rain, but i stayed out. had my rain suit on. came home and threw the battery tender on :(

i got some work done at WBS in dublin. they did a good job. fixed the bike in a timely manner. didnt have to take it back, and it was very reasonable in cost.

I had mike bike worked on by them also. Nice guys and they did a good job at what I felt was a fair price. There are not a ton of places that will work on the older stuff.

Hnw has always done great work for me. They have always got the problem fixed in a timely manner and any questions I've had for them they have had an answer. The service guys TY,Bill,Brad are very knowledgeable And if they dont know the answer will do the research to get the answer. Tom and Bob are also some very knowledgeable guys. Highly recommend these guys for your services.

Any other opionions on Classic Cycles Unlimited on Morse Road in between Rt. 3 and Cleveland Ave? They do have a nice showroom and helpful staff...

woah woah woah../sorry I'm late to the party...but let's not confuse Motorsports and Classic....unfortunately Classic Cycles is gone, and Motorsports is a much different shop.

That being said, Motorsports actually has a pretty competent service dept that could easily handle a valve adjustment on your bike. Go in and talk to Drue about what you want done and what all it involves. If he's not working there anymore by the time you get there....leave.

I was a bit worried when I heard that the long time service manager of Northwest left last year, but I haven't heard any horror stories since, and they're a very well run shop with a good history.

I'd also check out the powerstore in Marysville, and see which shop gives you the best feeling.