Motorcycle Theft: Ex-thief speaks...

BonkerS

more food for thought..... 90% of the people that have home alarms do NOT have their garages alarmed. I can't speak for you, but the majority of my wealth rests in my garage. Between the bikes, tools, and twin keg beer fridge, I would be out big time if someone robbed my garage.

more food for thought..... 90% of the people that have home alarms do NOT have their garages alarmed. I can't speak for you, but the majority of my wealth rests in my garage. Between the bikes, tools, and twin keg beer fridge, I would be out big time if someone robbed my garage.

given the topic, might not be the best idea to advertise that, no?

yeap! i concur! a few years ago, I had a motorcycle that was stolen from an underground parking lot of a large apt complex that I lived at...it was awful..we were all ready to leave for a Grattan track day and just needed to load up the bike..we go to the garage spot and it was empty. Had one of those brief insane moments of "is this where I left my bike" and hoped that I actually parked somewhere else

another time, I was parked on the street one block away from work (MetroHealth Hospital on the west side). After work, I went to start the bike and go home, the ignition was all scratched up, someone jammed it pretty good so that my key wouldn't fit and start my bike

I called a friend who came by with a small truck. Since the ignition was locked and handlebars turned, we couldn't roll the bike. He grabbed a closet rod from his car (the kind that travelers use to hang clothes in their back seat), slipped it in the front wheel and my husband and a local cop (I called the local police to come so they wouldn't think I was stealing my own bike) both took the rear and boom, not less than 15 seconds later, the bike was picked up and in the truck out of sight

I was shocked how quick and easy it was and will never forget..later I asked the cop where the best spots were to park that were safe for my bike and they let me park in the garage where cars can't fit..told me the best spots that thieves would not go (top floor, furthest corners where there is only one way out and take a long time to get out)..that worked for the rest of the time that I was there

good read, now string his ass up and hang em. A thiefs a thief.

I'm fine with the idea that someone has repaid their debt to society and is truly reformed.

However, if it's all for show and he's still a thief...

This reminds me of my favorite bike theft story. My buddy lives in Washington, his friend had a nice sport bike but lived in a bad area.

He drove a big bolt into the cement floor and welded a nice loop on his sidestand so he could chain the bike to the ground.

They used a grinder to cut the kickstand off and left a note saying "If we want it, we're taking it"

This reminds me of my favorite bike theft story. My buddy lives in Washington, his friend had a nice sport bike but lived in a bad area.

He drove a big bolt into the cement floor and welded a nice loop on his sidestand so he could chain the bike to the ground.

They used a grinder to cut the kickstand off and left a note saying "If we want it, we're taking it"

damn. i'm not sure what would make me more mad, the missing bike or the spiteful letter. i mean, that just adds more pain on top of it.

good post though.

I remember seeing this a couple years back. Think it goes to show that not much is going to deter them. If you look, it takes 25 seconds from when the VAN (yes, a van) door opens until they have it loaded and close the door and leave the scene.

This video is a good example on how they scoped out the bike, the set-up for the grab, and the theft itself. Sad thing is, if you really think about it, I doubt that if anyone realized what was happening that they would have bothered to intervene anyway. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96QM-lzLM8

• 1 month later...