New with an old bike

thebussman

Hi all, from the campus area. I'm fairly new to bikes, I bought a 86' VF500 interceptor. She's kinda beat up does everything I need. not bad for $300? I got my endorsement but so far I only got 800 miles under my belt. I'm about to go here: http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=59456&page=2 tomorrow if anyone else wants to join.

pics:

VnQhTl.jpg

zyAfol.jpg

Edited by thebussman

Welcome. I have two newish riders in my group, and four very experienced dudes helping them. You're welcome to come and join us for one of our rides-- pretty much every Friday evening or Saturday afternoon. At this point, if the new people are with us we generally don't go anywhere terribly demanding, but any ride is better than not riding. When we go out without them, it's a bit different. Either way, just PM if you're bored and wanna join up.

Also, we're pretty well-versed in older bikes (because we're all broke), so we tend to ride all day and wrench all night if you have some mechanical issues you'd like to address.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Aerik, I may be down for a ride or 2 I've got most of next week off of work. let me know if anythings going to be going on.

Nice bike! I love my 85 Interceptor 500! I just need to get it put back together! I will warn you not to run it up to redline all the time, kinda take it easy on the ole V4 and it will last quite a while! They do have some issues with oil getting to the top end of the engine, so make sure you keep plenty of good clean oil in it. If you like to work on stuff, check out vfrworld.com and go to the first and second generation section. I post some over there, and have learned a LOT about the bike.

Nice bike! I love my 85 Interceptor 500! I just need to get it put back together! I will warn you not to run it up to redline all the time, kinda take it easy on the ole V4 and it will last quite a while! They do have some issues with oil getting to the top end of the engine, so make sure you keep plenty of good clean oil in it. If you like to work on stuff, check out vfrworld.com and go to the first and second generation section. I post some over there, and have learned a LOT about the bike.

Yea i already spent some time on VFRwrold, it's a good site. the reason why it was only $300 was because it wasn't running so i did have to do a ill' work on her already mostly carb work, just did a valve adjustment too. let me know if you need any help with anything.

Yea i already spent some time on VFRwrold, it's a good site. the reason why it was only $300 was because it wasn't running so i did have to do a ill' work on her already. just did a valve adjustment that solved a lot of problems. let me know if you need any help with anything.

You want to reassemble the engine for me? :lol:

I have the heads off it, and about half the valves out, replacing the worst ones with valves from a pars engine that I got with the bike. I paid $500 for my heap, not running, partly apart, carbs needed cleaned, etc... I put probably 1000-1500 miles on it last year after all that!