Ohio Fallen Heroes Memorial Poker Run 6/12/10

jporter12

Hey Chevy - how many bikes were there today?

Man I have no idea. When we left AD Farrow I'd say roughly 125ish. When we got back at the end it seemed like the number tripled. One of the head honchos had said something to everyone to the effect of "It's great to see 600 bikes here today." So I'm not really sure. I do know I was one of 6 sportbikes. :D

One of six sport bikes!! LOL!! That's funny. Nothing like standing out in a crowd, huh? I had planned on going. I wanted to go so bad. I wanted Tressle to sign my tank (see pic below). A dude from work that was going to go with me backed out cuz of the weather. I thought about going it alone. I figured I'd watch the forecast and see what happens. They predicted 80% chance of thunderstorms so I backed out myself.

Now, I live in Westerville - 10 miles from Farrows. It rained ONCE at 11:00 for about 15 minutes. THAT'S IT!!! Local radar never showed anything for Delaware county at all. I should have freakin gone anyway. I'm sooo pissed at myself and the weather man!!

Was it a good ride?

Dude you should have come. We only had one sprinkle as we were leaving Mt. Vernon, for a whole 3 minutes. It wasn't too bad. Not a face paced ride with twisties or anything. Just an easy laid back one for a great cause. This is one ride that really hits home with me. There is at least one marker there for a fellow trooper from my unit in Iraq so I feel I owe it to him and all the other heroes regardless of the rain or not. This will be pretty much an annual event for me.

Afterwards was the party at AD Farrow. Live music, drawings, free stuff, hot air balloon, patriotic stuff for sale. It was pretty cool. Make sure you go next year. Oh and I tend to favor the military/patriotic poker runs so if there is another one you would like to go on, let me know and I'll see if I can make it.

Man I should have gone. Oh well. There's always next year. I'm a former National Guard member for nine years. Never deployed but came close in the first Iraq war - just waited for a phone call that never came. That's why I wanted to do this ride; to pay tribute. I listed another ride website on here - Lets-Ride.com. That's where I get alot of ride info from. I've only been riding for two years, and I really don't have anyone to ride with so I don't get to do too much of this. That's partly why I didn't go alone yesterday. I have some fuel/acceleration issues with my bike too, so I'm still a little leary about going too far. Afterall the bike is 30 years old so it's bound to have some kinks. For now I'll keep monitoring this site, start going to QSL bike night, that sort of thing and maybe start getting to know some people. If you ever see the Buckeye Bike you'll know I'm around somewhere. We'll talk again, I'm sure.