@the farmers

Likwid

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you explain why corn fed is different than grass fed (aside from the fact one eats corn the other grass).

I find this whole thing very interesting... going from "buy steak at Giant Eagle" to "buying from a farmer" is a major difference.

Some say that grass fed has more of a gamey taste to it, it will cook faster. Some cuts are leaner and contain more omega 3's. Its all the health food swing. I think Brazil is mostly grass fed.

OTOH I don't eat beef much, I'd rather have pork loin for 1.60 a pound :)

Really depends on who you ask Matt. PETA is all for grass fed, Beef eaters are for grain fed. Grass fed will be a tougher cut becase they roam the pasture and work thier muscles. Grain fed are usually confined to small areas and pens so they dont toughen up the muscles and they fatten up faster. Peta doesnt like that because they are confined. If you want a cut of meat like you get at a topend steakhouse you want a grain fed cow from a farmer or butcher shop. You wont get that at a grocery store.

Some of the Amish up the road from me raise and butcher thier own and sell quarters as well.

I like to have the steaks cut then grind the rest to hamburger and mix it with ground Lamb. I also like my deer ground up and mixed with sausage.

Now I'm hungry gotta go eat.

Mmmmmmm

I have Omaha steaks that I'm just running out of... the whole convenience of just grabbing some steaks from the freezer and putting them in the fridge... then the grill... is awesome.

i'll probably get shit for this but have you ever tried the A1 marinades? I swear by them for the less than stellar $5 giant eagle strip steaks

Also, Sams club has some pretty damn good strip steaks. A 6 pack of 12-14oz strips usually runs $30-35 and I think they are wayyyy better than most of the Omaha steaks I've had

I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

easy there Tommy...you should stick to Callahan Auto Parts :D

I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

Great. Now I have to watch Tommy Boy while eating steak for dinner... This thread is getting expensive, since I don't think I own a copy of Tommy Boy (it used to be on TV often enough that I never need to buy it!)

Anyone know somewhere in Ohio you can buy a quarter cow?

Thanks!

Can't you just go to any butcher & get this from them? I'm pretty sure that's what my MIL's done before

You got a big enough freezer to handle all this meat Matt?