Need a new computer

Monstrosity

My laptop took a shit the other night and I'm tired of having a friend fix it. Its about 4 or 5 years old now so I think I got my $$ worth out of it.

Only problem is I'm not sure what to replace it with or where to get it. My main use is to surf the web. I also use it for work when I travel a handfull of times a year and will need Excel & Word.

The last one came from best buy and I spent more than I should have. Money's not a big issue but the more I dont spend will be more money for my next toy!

Thanks!

Toshibas are great but for what you need it for, get a netbook. Small and cheap... But I would say Mac FTMFW!!!! Here we go....

I have a netbook, they're great for what they are designed for but I wouldn't advise them for "extensive" use or surfing, the small size gets to be annoying.

Probably a fullsize laptop. check micro center. (microcenter.com)

If it's just the hard drive that's fried and you want to keep the laptop as a 2nd machine or pass it down to someone else you can try booting from one of the LiveCD linux versions (google Puppy Linux or Ubuntu LiveCD). Of course this assumes that you have a working CD reader. For storage once you have the LiveCD working use a thumbdrive. To use MS Word and MS Excel files use a program called OpenOffice, Look for how to install it on the forums of which ever linux distribution you're going to use.

I've kept an old Toshiba out of the landfills for years now using this technique. I use that machine mostly for surfing the web and checking email. Works great.

Edited by newOldUser

If it's just the hard drive that's fried and you want to keep the laptop as a 2nd machine or pass it down to someone else you can try booting from one of the LiveCD linux versions (google Puppy Linux or Ubuntu LiveCD). Of course this assumes that you have a working CD reader. For storage once you have the LiveCD working use a thumbdrive. To use MS Word and MS Excel files use a program called OpenOffice, Look for how to install it on the forums of which ever linux distribution you're going to use.

I've kept an old Toshiba out of the landfills for years now using this technique. I use that machine mostly for surfing the web and checking email. Works great.

I have a Toshiba laptop that the HD took a shit... i my have to try this. i used to run linux back in the day and the wife hated it. lol

If it's just the hard drive failed, why not replace it? They're not that expensive!

Toshiba FTW. I bought one while in Iraq in 2005. It has seen 140 degree heat, been through countless field rotations, full of dust and sand, dropped, thrown and just plain out abused. It lasted until a few months ago when the screen finally gave out. Check out Toshibadirect.com. They have some good refurbed units which is where I got my current laptop as well as new ones.

All my computers are HP factory refurbs. and I've never had a problem with any of them. I've got a quad core hp for my home theater setup and my wife and I each have loaded up (core 2 duo, hdmi, wifi, fingerprint scanner, etc) HP DV4t laptops that we use daily. I didn't pay over $500 for any of them, there's good deals to be had out there for the HP's.

If it's just the hard drive failed, why not replace it? They're not that expensive!

Sometimes I just don't want to put another dime into repairs of an old machine. If it was a newer machine I might agree with you. I'm guessing a replacement drive (assuming this unit allows access to the drive) would cost at least $50

• 5 months later...

ORDN Sanity Check, or price check rather...

i7, 1GB dedicated video, USB 3.0, eSATA port, 500GB, 4GB DDR3... $850. Cheapest i7 system I could find. Other computer nerds, your thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041RRVOG/?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealnewscom

Specifications

• Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
  • Display: 16-inch HD LED-backlit Widescreen (1366 x 768)
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-740QM processor 1.6 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
  • Graphics: ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5730 1GB DDR3 VRAM
  • WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n (@ 2.4GHz) , Bluetooth v2.1
  • LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
  • Memory: 4GB DDR3 (up to 8GB)
  • Storage: 500GB 7,200RPM hard drive
  • Optical Drive: Super Multi DVD
  • Camera: 2.0 Megapixel
  • Speakers: Altec Lansing speakers with SRS Premium Sound
  • Microphone: Digital Array Microphone
  • Card Reader: 1x 8-in- card reader (MMC/SD/Mini-SD/XD/Memory Stick/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS-Pro-Duo)
  • Input / Output:1x Headphone-out jack (SPDF support), 1x Microphone-in jack, 1x Express Card 34, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 3x USB 3.0 ports, 1x E-SATA
  • Battery: 6 cell
  • Dimensions: 14.98 x 10.33 x 1.08 (W x D x H)
  • Weight: 6.38 lbs
  • Color: Brown