Rider down Cambridge

cfd37buckeye

Don't know a lot of the details, but responded to a bike vs. van head on about an hour ago to set up the LZ for Med Fight. I do not know the circumstances surrounding the crash, and this is pure speculation. As close as the point of impact was to the center line, it looks as if the van was pulling across the lane and the rider hit at the drivers A post. Heavy damage to the van, rider lost his helmet at impact. There was a head/shoulder print in the windshield where the rider hit. His bike, Yamaha R1 was scattered in a debris field about 50 yards long. Bike was completely destroyed, and in several pieces. The front wheel was in pieces, tire dismounted, and center/ rotors / calipers all about 30 yards apart. I did not see the rider, but the guys on the heavy rescue said he was intubated, and unconscious, and the condition was grave. Do not know who he was, but will advise as soon as I know anything. Say a prayer.

Motorcyclist killed near Cambridge Airport

Highway Patrol investigates head on crash

AVC News 6/8/2010

osplogo3.gif

The Cambridge Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol is investigating a fatal motorcycle crash... according to reports, the accident occurred on State Route 660, near the Cambridge Municipal Airport just after 7 pm. A van being driven southbound by a Cambridge woman hit a northbound motorcycle, head on. The motorcyclist, 18 year old Tyler Mouer of Cambridge, was taken to Southeastern Med where he was pronounced dead.

The 41 year old woman who was driving the van, along with her two 10 year old daughters were also taken to Southeastern Med for treatment. The woman is listed in fair condition, the children were treated and released. The crash remains under investigation by the State Highway Patrol.

I have been in public safety for 20 plus years, and yet, I stood and stared in astonishment at the debris field left behind by the bike. I agree that the speed had to be high based on the amount of damage to the van and the bike. He was an accomplished dirt rider, but that doesn't always translate to the street. I also agree...18 years old on a liter bike is crazy. I am 40 and I don't want to touch one.

My libertarian streak thinks tiered licensing is wrong, but stories like this make me change my opinion greatly. I don't think many 18 year old boys, testosterone factories that they are, have any business on a bike that powerful...any more than I think an 18 year old should have unrestricted access to a Ferarri F240 in full race trim.

was my wife's friend's son , she says he has been on motorcycles all his life ,.... Rip again.

Skill and experience don't equal maturity, unfortunately. I don't know too many 18 year old boys who are aware of their mortality and value self-preservation enough to ride a bike with that much power safely and within their limits.

I'm not saying this to be callous, because it bothers me when a young man dies like this, but his death does more to prove my point instead of countering it. I just hate to see a kid that young on a bike like that, and I can't imagine the pain of losing a kid either...so I guess it's a personal issue having a teenager.