Anybody know what gun this is????

Casper

Anybody know what this is????

The only marking on it anywhere is the number 34. Sorry for the shitty pics. Used my phone.

EDIT: Updated photos.

DSC01952.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

Edited by Casper
updated photos finally... three years later... they still suck but are better

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any pics of the entire gun laying on its side.. That will help. I have a few ideas but I dont want to say anything yet. Also, do you konw what caliber it is? If not look at the end of the barrel and at least take a guess. Also look in the chamber and tell my how long the barrel is before it starts to narrow for the neck of the cartridge.. Usually caliber is stamped on the barrel somewhere as well but maybe not in your case..

Here are a couple of things to take note of. Since the only markings are of the 34, I would guess that its not made by a major manufacture since they usually at least stamp their models with a cartouche of the company, caliber, etc..

Also, it appears to have a foreplate instead of a magazine, I dont believe that the foreplate was present too far back in history.. Actually that reminds me. some companies would stamp their identifiers on the inside or outside of the forplate, open it and check. It may be an older "replica" I need better pics or to see it in person. It also could have been rebuilt at some point so some of the markings may now be gone. Where did you find it.

Here are a couple of things to take note of. Since the only markings are of the 34, I would guess that its not made by a major manufacture since they usually at least stamp their models with a cartouche of the company, caliber, etc..

Also, it appears to have a foreplate instead of a magazine, I dont believe that the foreplate was present too far back in history.. Actually that reminds me. some companies would stamp their identifiers on the inside or outside of the forplate, open it and check. It may be an older "replica" I need better pics or to see it in person. It also could have been rebuilt at some point so some of the markings may now be gone. Where did you find it.

Found it in my father-in-laws attic. He had no idea it was up there. The house was built by his father. He told me to keep it. So I'm trying to figure out what the hell it is. Its very aged, so it is possible the wood at one point had a stamping but can't be seen now.

Ok so its not 7.62x39. The 7.62x39 is the AK47 round if Im not mistaken. The part that confuses me is that you said its almost 2X as long before the barrel narrows for the cartridge neck. Let me think about that one. Could be something like a .250, .257, etc. Sounds like it is .25 caliber, may also be a magnum based on the length.. I will have to do some thinking on that one.

Okay, finding more stuff. On the inside of the foreplate its marked:

Found some other markings as well. All odd characters and the number 34. On the bolt the number 34 appears in 3 places. Two of the places have the lett Y and what looks like a crooked T above it. The top of the T slants upwards from the left.

Ok, so now we are getting somewhere.. there is the possibility that those numbers are Rifle number X, at the Xth Company, at the X Infantry Regiment.(or something similar.. The letters sometimes signify role, Example I=Infantry, A= Artilery, T = supply troop or train troop, etc... If it was mass produced during a war, that could be the reason for no manufacturer identifiers especially if its foreign.

I was thinking of the arisaka but yours appears much shorter.

It is much shorter than the 38 and 99 models, which is all I can find pics of.

The slanted T I mentioned earlier is this: s1.gif but without the circle around it. That pic is Japanese for Series Number 1.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

this seems rather obvious to me but it could be a model 1934 of something. it looks similar to the arisaka but the bolt looks much smaller on your rifle and the wood section also looks smaller.

edit: judging from the last link posted it looks like a 38 carbine which has either been modified or just had a smaller wooden part. bolt looks identical.

It just hit me, I think it is the Ariska but potentially the more more rare 38 "carbine" version which explains the shorter barrel.. Satan, look at the end of the stock "barrel end" and see if there is a hole where a cleaning rod should be.

It just didnt hit me till benyen said carbine.. not to mention... YOUR PICTURES FUCKING SUCK....

ps POST PICS OF THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN THING SO WE CAN GET A GOOD LOOK AT IT.