It's looking more & more legit that Nebraska is headed to Big 10!

Fonzie

Things have been moving fast the last 24 hours. Big news today is that Big 12 is pushing Nebraska & Mizzou for allegiance by Friday. Tom Osbourn on College Football Today this afternoon flat out says Huskers would like to have an official offer from Big 10, going into that Big 12 meeting on Friday.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5265631

Nebraska's decision on whether to commit long term to the Big 12 or leave for a potential Big Ten invitation could come on Friday, a school told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday.

The source said the school is leaning toward the Big Ten, but an invitation hadn't yet been extended, and there was no indication when that would occur. The consensus within the athletic department is that Nebraska wouldn't separate itself from the Big 12 without some assurance that a Big Ten invitation would come, the source said.

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB/status/15797374332

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2010/6/4/1500646/the-rumormill-the-big-xii-to-pac

Kansas: Hey everyone, what's going on?

A&M: What the hell's the matter with you? Aren't you in enough trouble already?

Kansas: What are you talking about? I'm just supplying study supplements. There's nothing wrong with that.

Oklahoma: If by "study supplements" you mean the actual test key, then yes, there is something wrong with that.

:lol:

With Notre Dame still playin' the tease/hard to get....

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/06/08/big-ten-notre-dame-are-talking-again/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Texas also talked about, but them, Oklahoma, Tech, & A&M seem to be more seriously linked with Pac 10, who really busted this thing open in last few days by stating they want to go to 16 teams. There's a mad scramble right now to pillage the Big 12, with Baylor also being talked about for PAC, but I guess Cal-Berkley is objecting to Bay because of their religious affiliations. CFT saying today that Rutgers & Maryland are also coveted by Big 10, perhaps in a "next" phase

Edited by Fonzie

I'm pretty pleased, I think its a good move for both Nebraska and the Big 10. I have some Cornhusker friends so I'd love to let them get a yearly beat down by OSU.

Maybe Michigan will become relevant again when they get rid of RichTard after this year. The last 6 years have been great but the rivalry aspect is starting to suck

I think the Big 10 stays at 12 teams for awhile unless they can get ND and another team as well to make it 14 for two 7 team divisions

From that one article, it sounds like the B10 is trying to put a serious squeeze on ND, by talking about adding up to 16 teams. If the Big 12 does disolve, with Pac 10, Big 10 expanding, & SEC is projected to scoop up FSU, & maybe VaTech .... There really wouldn't be any quality schools for ND left to play other than maybe MAC/WAC schools, to fill out a 13 game schedule & make a BCS run. Plus.... NBC probably won't be as eager to shell out big $$ for that kind of lame ass schedule

Several people have said if ND would just join the Big 10..... A lot of this scrambling would just subside

Those worries all go away for now if Notre Dame and the Big Ten are able to come to an agreement.

The addition of Notre Dame would give the Big Ten and the Big Ten Network a football program with a global draw while also giving the league 12 members -- which allows for a lucrative conference championship game.

A phone message for Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick was not returned.

Notre Dame joining a conference also seems to resolve some of the issues that it will face down the road, chief among them are scheduling. Inside a conference, scheduling would not be a problem. And the conference payout of between $20 and $22 million in the Big Ten would be a significant bump from the exclusive NBC deal.

The key for Notre Dame is deciding if joining the Big Ten is worth giving up the mystique of independence.

Edited by Fonzie

ESPN reporting tonight from Orangeblood that Nebraska is definitely planning to leave Big 12 for Big 10..... Though I still didn't see mention of an official offer

They were saying earlier that Nebraska is upset over Big 12 offices moving to TX, along with the championship game now, & other things. I'm wondering if UN isn't using this as a ploy to gain some leverage back in the Big 12??

Article out of Lincoln stating some of the academic benefits for Nebraska joining Big 10. Gotta admit though.... After reading it, I'm not so sure what benefits
they're
bringing to
us
, other than a formerly premier football program??
LINCOLN — It's the Midwest's unquestioned power conference, a collection of tradition-rich universities that jostle for position in the Top 25 and haul in staggering amounts of money.

Oh, and the Big Ten plays decent football, too.

While Husker fans are fixated on the pigskin potential of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's rumored conference courtship, it's worth pointing out that the conference in question is even better academically than it is athletically.

The Big Ten's academic and research prowess has some UNL professors and researchers quietly hoping the university does jump conferences. And if Penn State University — the last university to join the Big Ten — is any indication, the rumored conference move could be just as lucrative for the academic campus as it could be for Tom Osborne's athletic department.

“Simply put, it's very fancy company,” says John Nichols, a Penn State associate dean and former faculty senate president, recalling his university's move to the Big Ten two decades ago. “The academic payoff can be huge.”

The Big Ten's list of 11 members reads like a who's who of top U.S. universities.

Northwestern is an Ivy League-caliber private school just a notch below Harvard and Yale in national rankings.

The University of Michigan is arguably the nation's premier public research university, and its professors hauled in nearly $600 million in federal research funding — five times as much as UNL — in the latest government calculations.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison can claim the discovery of Vitamin A and Vitamin B, the world's first bone marrow transplant and the world's first synthetic gene. It's also the flagship school of a public university system that's the envy of nearly every other state in the country.

And the rest of the Big Ten universities aren't exactly slouches. In fact, every one of the conference's schools is rated among the nation's top 30 public universities in the latest U.S. News college rankings.

Compare that to the Big 12, a conference that boasts only two schools — Texas and Texas A&M — among the top 30 public universities.

UNL is ranked lower academically and brings in fewer federal research dollars than anyschool currently in the Big Ten.

“A number of (Big Ten universities) have physical facilities and infrastructure that's pretty substantial compared to Nebraska,” said John Janovy, a longtime UNL parasitology researcher and author. “Some also have an intellectual climate that's a little less fettered than Nebraska.”

Simply associating with the Big Ten could pull up UNL's academic reputation, making it easier to attract top students and win federal research grants, several professors said.

But there are also concrete ways UNL could be improved by a move to the Big Ten.

Chief among those is the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, a group of the Big Ten universities and the prestigious University of Chicago, which doesn't play NCAA Division I sports. The CIC leads a slew of collaborations between its members.

The group shares more than 60 specialized undergraduate classes. For example, students at Michigan can easily take a foreign language course not available at Michigan but offered at Minnesota, said Thomas Sullivan, the University of Minnesota's provost.

It shares a fiber-optic network that drives down the cost of computing, and a Google partnership will eventually result in the complete digitization of each Big Ten university's library.

The CIC also makes it easier for doctoral students and university researchers at various Big Ten schools to partner, said Barbara Allen, director of the CIC — research collaborations that bring in some of the gigantic federal grants that every university wants.

“It's great to play on Saturday, but all the rest of the time we're working on curriculum, research, infrastructure,” said Sullivan, the University of Minnesota provost. “It's much broader than the sports we see on TV.”

The possibility of partnering with prestigious Big Ten universities is catnip to high-powered UNL researchers such as Charles Wood, director of the Nebraska Center for Virology. The University of Wisconsin-Madison and Northwestern University have outstanding programs in virology and cancer research, he said.

Collaborating with those and other Big Ten schools “would probably enhance the (UNL) academic program, not only for virology but for other academic programs as well,” he said.

Penn State University is proof positive that associating with the Big Ten would most likely enhance any university, professors and administrators there say.

In 1990, when Penn State joined the conference, the university's professor salaries were lower than those of their new counterparts. Penn State also brought in fewer top-notch students and fewer federal research dollars than many other Big Ten schools, said Nichols, the former faculty president.

Now the college is virtually indistinguishable from other Big Ten schools. It collected and spent some $400 million in federal research money in 2008 — the 15th highest total in the country — and was rated the 15th best public university in the country last year.

Professor salaries have increased. So has the quality of faculty hires, incoming students and virtually every other measurable characteristic, Nichols said.

“I think at Penn State we said, ‘Well, we're a Big Ten university now. Let's act like one,” he said. “It raised the bar.”

http://www.omaha.com/arti...ores-off-the-field-too

It's official..... Colorado has announced they are leaving Big 12 for the PAC 10

Sidenote.... SoCal may have to vacate their '05 BCS National Championship, along with the 2 year bowl ban & 4 years of probation. Still no word from Downtown Athletic Club if they're gonna strip Reggie of his Heisman

It's official..... Colorado has announced they are leaving Big 12 for the PAC 10

Sidenote.... SoCal may have to vacate their '05 BCS National Championship, along with the 2 year bowl ban & 4 years of probation. Still no word from Downtown Athletic Club if they're gonna strip Reggie of his Heisman

just as I was hardcore missing college football they manage to provide me with much happiness and entertainment...this pleases me :D

It's being reported that Texas and Texas A&M are petitioning the Big 10 for admission. Could the Big 14 be far off?

Eastern Division

- Penn State

- Ohio State

- Michigan

- Michigan State

- Indiana

- Purdue

- Northwestern

Western Division

- Illinois

- Wisconsin

- Minnesota

- Iowa

- Nebraska

- Texas

- Texas A&M

It's being reported that Texas and Texas A&M are petitioning the Big 10 for admission. Could the Big 14 be far off?

Eastern Division

- Penn State

- Ohio State

- Michigan

- Michigan State

- Indiana

- Purdue

- Northwestern

Western Division

- Illinois

- Wisconsin

- Minnesota

- Iowa

- Nebraska

- Texas

- Texas A&M

That's one hell of a tuff lookin' conference. They kept talkin' last night though, like all the Texas schools were goin' Pac 10.... Basically the whole Big 12 south

Not sure how I feel about the Texas schools bein' part of a midwest conference

That's one hell of a tuff lookin' conference. They kept talkin' last night though, like all the Texas schools were goin' Pac 10.... Basically the whole Big 12 south

Not sure how I feel about the Texas schools bein' part of a midwest conference

I know in the interest of making the conference a better overall conference I would love it. On the other hand it would sadden me that OSU wouldn't dominate it

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference. :eek:

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.

http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

Sounds like Big 12 teams are gonna be split up all over the country

Edited by Fonzie

Here is the USA Today article about Texas and A&M. I think the Texas schools are to conservative, from a culture perspective, to be a part of the PAC-10. The Big-10 is a much better fit from that point of view. As far as Oklahoma joining the SEC, that would be huge for them.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/06/report-texas-texas-am-eyeing-big-ten-while-oklahoma-working-to-join-sec/1

Here is the USA Today article about Texas and A&M. I think the Texas schools are to conservative, from a culture perspective, to be a part of the PAC-10. The Big-10 is a much better fit from that point of view. As far as Oklahoma joining the SEC, that would be huge for them.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/06/report-texas-texas-am-eyeing-big-ten-while-oklahoma-working-to-join-sec/1

That article dismisses the KCTV report that TX & AM petitioned Big 10 for admission. I would think there would be a record of said petition? :dunno:

And who the heck is the Chris Brown & Orangebloods? Never heard of him/it before.... And they seem to be all over this story the last 48 hours

Eastern Division

- Penn State

- Ohio State

- Michigan

- Michigan State

- Indiana

- Purdue

- Northwestern

Western Division

- Illinois

- Wisconsin

- Minnesota

- Iowa

- Nebraska

- Texas

- Texas A&M

Dude your sources are not credible at all. You need to stop this nonsense about texas schools going to the Big 10 cuz it wont happen.

Texas has two main rivalries it wants to keep in tact. OU and Texas A&M. Despite what you think...OSU is not primary rivalry that would draw them into the Big 10. Traditions run deep in in most of the southern schools...esp in Football. Texas, OU and TAMU will do everything in their power to stay in the same conference.

Texas A&M will never join the Big 10. On the off chance that TAMU does not follow t.u., TAMU will join the SEC. Gene Stallings has DEEP roots in the SEC and Alabama as well as a national championship.

Dude your sources are not credible at all. You need to stop this nonsense about texas schools going to the Big 10 cuz it wont happen.

Texas has two main rivalries it wants to keep in tact. OU and Texas A&M. Despite what you think...OSU is not primary rivalry that would draw them into the Big 10. Traditions run deep in in most of the southern schools...esp in Football. Texas, OU and TAMU will do everything in their power to stay in the same conference.

Texas A&M will never join the Big 10. On the off chance that TAMU does not follow t.u., TAMU will join the SEC. Gene Stallings has DEEP roots in the SEC and Alabama as well as a national championship.

I reported an article that was posted in USA Today, a small new outlet you may have heard of. As far as the layout of the Big Ten, that was my view on how it would be layed out. Take your blood pressure pill and relax.

BTW, Nebraska just had a new conference to state they have petitioned the Big Ten for complete membership in said conference.

Nebraska press conference on ESPN News right now.... They just asked for admission to Big 10!!

**EDIT.... Matt beat me to it

Edited by Fonzie

I reported an article that was posted in USA Today, a small new outlet you may have heard of. As far as the layout of the Big Ten, that was my view on how it would be layed out. Take your blood pressure pill and relax.

BTW, Nebraska just had a new conference to state they have petitioned the Big Ten for complete membership in said conference.

My pressure wasnt elevated and that post wasnt intended to sound or hostile...dick :p

I didnt see an author on that USA Today article...alot of "legitimate" news media sources have opinionated/biased sports writers with "credible" sources. It happens alot with sports stories when one guys thinks he knows whats going on, but in reality only has a bias and just wants that story to happen.

Edited by ohdaho