Mid-Ohio 6/28 and 6/29

redkow97

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well Monday was pretty much a waste. 1 "dry" session and one semi dry session.

It allowed me to refresh my memory of the layout, but I was just putting around out there. The guys passing me had bigger stones that I do.

first "I" session of the day, the first rider on track came onto the front straight and I saw his rear step out about 70 degrees. I have no clue how he fucking saved it.

Second lap, same guy gets a big wiggle in the same place (maybe 30 degrees this time), and then 40 yards later, another big wiggle. all 3 incidents were with the bike straight up and down.

Third lap, the guy crashed. I heard it over the track marshal's radio. "between 7 and 9." So that set the tone for Monday. I rode the last session before lunch and the first session after lunch. The track was finally coming in when it absolutely poured again. Three of us walked into the infield to check out the track conditions, and immediately cracked beers. ha.

The staff called the day about an hour later, so we didn't miss anything at all...

Tuesday wasn't what I expected, but ended up good. The morning was dry, but cool. I'm not used to Mid Ohio's surface, so the looseness of the track takes some getting used to. Still managed to turn some 1:52's or so during the last session before lunch.

After lunch, the sun finally came out and we had good grip. Dropped into the 1:48's but got stuck there. Oh well. Not bad for a track I've seen twice.

The coolest part of Tuesday though was watching the AMA riders practicing in Advanced group.

Brett McCormick, Paul Allison, Ron Hix, and Corey West were all testing for the races in a couple weeks. What was most impressive to me was a guy on a red R6 with "Hale Racing" on it. #139 I think. He was right behind Corey West the entire "A" session, and wasn't letting him get away. I talked to the guy briefly, after West had packed it in for the day, and he said they were in the 33's. He's a privateer, so I assume he IS "hale racing." nice guy. I'll be pulling for him.

well Monday was pretty much a waste. 1 "dry" session and one semi dry session.

It allowed me to refresh my memory of the layout, but I was just putting around out there. The guys passing me had bigger stones that I do.

first "I" session of the day, the first rider on track came onto the front straight and I saw his rear step out about 70 degrees. I have no clue how he fucking saved it.

Second lap, same guy gets a big wiggle in the same place (maybe 30 degrees this time), and then 40 yards later, another big wiggle. all 3 incidents were with the bike straight up and down.

Third lap, the guy crashed. I heard it over the track marshal's radio. "between 7 and 9." So that set the tone for Monday. I rode the last session before lunch and the first session after lunch. The track was finally coming in when it absolutely poured again. Three of us walked into the infield to check out the track conditions, and immediately cracked beers. ha.

The staff called the day about an hour later, so we didn't miss anything at all...

Tuesday wasn't what I expected, but ended up good. The morning was dry, but cool. I'm not used to Mid Ohio's surface, so the looseness of the track takes some getting used to. Still managed to turn some 1:52's or so during the last session before lunch.

After lunch, the sun finally came out and we had good grip. Dropped into the 1:48's but got stuck there. Oh well. Not bad for a track I've seen twice.

The coolest part of Tuesday though was watching the AMA riders practicing in Advanced group.

Brett McCormick, Paul Allison, Ron Hix, and Corey West were all testing for the races in a couple weeks. What was most impressive to me was a guy on a red R6 with "Hale Racing" on it. #139 I think. He was right behind Corey West the entire "A" session, and wasn't letting him get away. I talked to the guy briefly, after West had packed it in for the day, and he said they were in the 33's. He's a privateer, so I assume he IS "hale racing." nice guy. I'll be pulling for him.

I saw the Cleveland Browns themed bike coming off the 'I' sessions....but that's all i saw. I'm assuming you'll be at BeaveRun on the 3rd?

unfortunately I'll be on vacation the 3rd and not riding. Wish I was riding.

without tooting my own horn too much, I felt like I was one of the faster "I" riders out there. #12 on the green/blue Kawasaki was fast, and some guy with yellow leathers. I think he was on a 600RR as well, but i'm basing that solely on the under-tail exhaust.

I overheard a guy in the bathroom talking about how he was turning 1:55's and his buddy was doing 2:00 laps, and they were getting passed like they were standing still. His exact words were, "there are guys out there 'slumming it' today."

I just found it a slightly hysterical that the guy thought people faster than him obviously belonged in Advanced. By that logic, everyone slower than me should have been in Novice. it's all relative. oh well. I had fun.

unfortunately I'll be on vacation the 3rd and not riding. Wish I was riding.

without tooting my own horn too much, I felt like I was one of the faster "I" riders out there. #12 on the green/blue Kawasaki was fast, and some guy with yellow leathers. I think he was on a 600RR as well, but i'm basing that solely on the under-tail exhaust.

I overheard a guy in the bathroom talking about how he was turning 1:55's and his buddy was doing 2:00 laps, and they were getting passed like they were standing still. His exact words were, "there are guys out there 'slumming it' today."

I just found it a slightly hysterical that the guy thought people faster than him obviously belonged in Advanced. By that logic, everyone slower than me should have been in Novice. it's all relative. oh well. I had fun.

I was turning on average 1:45's and i was getting killed for the most part in A. I passed some but most of the racers and instructors were killing me. oh well, i had fun :)

I was turning on average 1:45's and i was getting killed for the most part in A. I passed some but most of the racers and instructors were killing me. oh well, i had fun :)

As long as you had fun Thats all that matters right?

you hold back little bit after you run out.i dont usualy pass you.it was awesome day.A was very fast .

you hold back little bit after you run out.i dont usualy pass you.it was awesome day.A was very fast .

A group was faster than usual. There were a ton of racers. As long as it doesn't hurt your ego it's not bad. They are so good it's like they aren't even on the track. They just pass and move on.

I've got a lot to work on still. I'm gonna go back to the MAX LED saturday. The weather is looking awesome.

rusty, you were pretty quick. i wasn't holding back much...especially the last two sessions. I was a little slow at the end of the back straight...but you were pulling me. nice work.

rusty, you were pretty quick. i wasn't holding back much...especially the last two sessions. I was a little slow at the end of the back straight...but you were pulling me. nice work.

Were you on the yellow R6 with white Shift leathers? If so, I believe i've got some video footage of you. I was behind you for few laps in one of the sessons after lunch. VW151 is sorting through the video footage.....hopefully he'll post it up when he gets to it.

Were you on the yellow R6 with white Shift leathers? If so, I believe i've got some video footage of you. I was behind you for few laps in one of the sessons after lunch. VW151 is sorting through the video footage.....hopefully he'll post it up when he gets to it.

We had some extra cameras so we put one forward facing and one rear facing on steven's bike. Last night reviewing it we synced a session up with both videos running at the same time and you could watch people get passed from front to back or vise versa, it was really cool. I just need to figure out how to edit it together now.

Having said that, yes it will probably take me a bit to get it all sorted and uploaded.

so you going saturday to beaverun?i already sign for mid ohio

Corey was testing setup - not running hot laps. Hale on Mondy was running OK, but nowhere near what Corey will run. Expect to see Corey in the 29s... Hale isn't going to be at that pace at all...

In truth, I was surprised that the group wasn't faster. Expect to see them Saturday. They will need more time on the bikes...

West is the fastest of all the guys riding those two days. Trust me...;)

Monday, or Tuesday? I didn't pay much attention to anyone on Monday. I didn't think West even left the garage on Monday.

Given that he left at lunch, I'm sure West has several more seconds to drop. Hale was just impressive to watch because he was the only one keeping with West (including the Celtic and Chronic riders) AND had never been there before.

I didn't hear what times anyone else got down to after lunch.

yeah...that was me. video would be cool...thanks!