dyna beads balancing

oldschoolsdime92

i just got new rubber a month ago, and i've noticed that on longer rides my hands start to go "pins and needles" where they never did before. i don't notice any more vibration, but i'd have to guess that there is. wonder how these would work on already "balanced" wheels?

You need to pull your weights off remove your valve core and put the beads in then replace valve core and air tire up

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if my hop is gone, i know they are working. I have a slight hop at about 40 mph. Its a brand new tire, but dustin did not have the ability to balance a single sided swing arm wheel.

Check both sides of the tire on the rim, looking for where the tire might not be fully seated at the bead. This will cause a serious "hop". Been there, done that. Some tires have a mold line all around and makes it really easy to see where the tire dips in at the rim. This was really common with the old tube tires.

Other than that, I would wonder if the tire is really round.

I used them twice for balancing rear tires, i really don't know if they did much. Seem just as easy to use a static balancer and some stick on weights.

btw; check with your tire manufacturer, in some cases the use of dynabeads will void the warranty.

Ex:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

Tires injected with dry/liquid balancers or sealants, or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_warranties.asp

Some states have banned the use of lead wheel weights so do they not warranty tires sold in those states?

THAT is interesting.

Although, 3M is selling a polymer solution that comes on a roll, as a tape. Pretty cool stuff. There's a "ruler" to tell you how much a length of it will weigh, you cut it off at the mark for the amount you need, sitck it on and go!

Big truck tires, Sure.. Motorcycle tire running at 15,000RPM @ 160+mph.. You must be an idiot.

DONT USE THEM IN YOUR MOTORCYCLE!!!

Well my buddy ran them in his Shitko 009 raven tires and got over 12k out of the rear and about 16k out of the front so they must do something in there

Big truck tires, Sure.. Motorcycle tire running at 15,000RPM @ 160+mph.. You must be an idiot.

At what speed does all of this become irrelevant? I know that on most CARS, anything above a certain speed you don't feel the inbalance any longer. I would think that a bike tire would have to be pretty far out of balance to be an issue at that high of a speed, and most bike tires I've seen have been pretty close on balance. Before I get slammed here, I'm sure that some are pretty far off, just that I haven't seen any, and I'm not sure I would want to run any that are very far off.

What is used at the track?

Why? Centripetal forces don't change from 70mph on truck tires to 160 on motorcycle tires. As long as you have the proper weight amount per tire (like not throwing in 10oz in a front tire) they will balance themselves out normally.

I've got them in mine now, and I haven't had problem one.

At what speed does all of this become irrelevant? I know that on most CARS, anything above a certain speed you don't feel the inbalance any longer. I would think that a bike tire would have to be pretty far out of balance to be an issue at that high of a speed, and most bike tires I've seen have been pretty close on balance. Before I get slammed here, I'm sure that some are pretty far off, just that I haven't seen any, and I'm not sure I would want to run any that are very far off.

What is used at the track?

I believe on cars you don't feel the imbalance anymore because the vibrations are so close together they "cancel", for lack of a better word. Still, I would want to ride anything, 2 or 4 wheels, knowing I had a unbalanced tire.

gotta go with sam on this one...

I bought a little wheel balancer for $30, i put it on there, give it a spin, and balance it up, I'm planning on tossing it back on there after a couple thousand miles and see how far off balance they are.

I don't want anything flying around inside my tires.

works like a charm. i like not having ugly stick on weights on my wheels and balancing takes about 10 seconds when you are mounting a tire. they have been in my bikes for the past 3 years.

PS: for anyone wanting to try them or for the people that already do, it is much cheaper to buy the beads at a semi truck shop than on motorcycle websites. Last time i checked it is about $24 for 3 ounces at Columbus Scooter and Cycle and only $7 for 8 ounces at coshocton tire.

gotta go with sam on this one...

I bought a little wheel balancer for $30, i put it on there, give it a spin, and balance it up, I'm planning on tossing it back on there after a couple thousand miles and see how far off balance they are.

I don't want anything flying around inside my tires.

Let us know how far out of balance they are when you check them

Why do you all think that centripetal force will always cause the beads to go to the unbalanced area? Physics says that once the speed of rotation is enough to hold the object in place, it will hold it in the spot where it is once it reaches the necessary rotational speed to overcome the weight of the object and gravity (1G).

AKA. it will hold those beads on a flat spot just as easy as it would hold them on a rounded spot.

Edited by flounder

Why do you all think that centripetal force will always cause the beads to go to the unbalanced area? Physics says that once the speed of rotation is enough to hold the object in place, it will hold it in the spot where it is once it reaches the necessary rotational speed to overcome the weight of the object and gravity (1G).

AKA. it will hold those beads on a flat spot just as easy as it would hold them on a rounded spot.

Why don't you just try them and see that they work?