dyna beads balancing

oldschoolsdime92

We had one of those in Auto Shop at Westerville North. It looked like it was from the 60's but yer right, it balanced the hell out of a wheel.

It was from the 60's... and yeah, it did a hell of a job balancing a tire for high speed use...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got dyna beads along with a tire change from CSS... And I have mixed feelings. The beads seem to keep the tire in balance most of the time, but bumps in the road can throw the tire out of balance.

Being on of those "enginerds", my somewhat educated guess is that the beads stick to the tire carcass until some tire oscillation throw them off. Of coure if the tire is balanced, then the beads stay put. If the tire is not balanced they would tend to stick on the side closest to center (the "light" side). When I hit a bump they must be thrown off the carcass and bounce around until another equilibrium is met.

Enginerdiness aside, my educated butt tells me wheel weights would be better. Next tire change I will be using stick on weights.

That's about right. Back a ways I said "if free to move to a state of equilibrium" they could work. Well, if they are free to move, then they would be free to move to a state of imbalance when disturbed by hitting a bump.

I don't think I've ever seen a spin balancer that spins fast enough for them to work. Also, the tire hitting the road has more to so with it than a spin balancer can simulate.
so you're saying a real balancer doesn't spin a tire fast enough to properly balance it?

then I guess you should notify all the balancer companies they are doing it wrong.:D

Re-read what I said. I put the key to my statement in bold for you, just in case. Them, referring to the topic of this thread, dynabeads.

That's about right. Back a ways I said "if free to move to a state of equilibrium" they could work. Well, if they are free to move, then they would be free to move to a state of imbalance when disturbed by hitting a bump.

Great question there Tom. The centrifugal force that holds them to the inner surface of the tire must be strong enough to hold them when hitting a bump. I've never heard anything about any ill effects after hitting a bump with them (dynabeads) in a tire.