Vintage bikes

jmwildi

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I meant is that with anything we have (besides our active project), you'd be looking at a frame-up build, instead of just fixing an otherwise complete bike. You'll probably have a more pleasant start if you watch craigslist for one like we just found: We got a 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 that a guy had started moving from an untitled whole bike onto a titled frame for $200. Needed carb work, some cosmetic stuff, and a little electrical babysitting- everything else was just unbolt, move, bolt on.

Ah okay, now that we're both clear as mud, you're right. Craigslist or something else would be a better idea, thanks for the input though.

Edited by jmwildi

I have an 82 CB900 that is not running, but it also does not have a title. I would take $350 for it. http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1809305402.html

Looking for something mid-70's or earlier. For an odd reason that I can't explain I'm facinated with kick-start bikes and I know I'm not going to get over it until I get one and work it out of my system. Thanks though.

http://forums.13x.com

WERA classifieds. You'll also want to check the vintage section. The bikes for sale there will likely be things people picked up to turn into vintage race bikes, but lost time, interest, or money. Definitely not "complete" in most cases.

that's also a good resource for parts when you do purchase a project. Racers always have a good supply of the stuff that commonly breaks.

The CB 550 I have needs a little cosmetic work, but it has that classic cafe racer potential and that awesome four into four megaphone exhaust. needs some mechanical work but runs, sunfaded original tank with the orange striping and no dents at all. I am reasonable on price, and the bike just oozes classic, that's why I couldn't say no when I bought it myself.

What year is it and do you have any pics of it?

Sinner: An old school bobber is where my ideas are taking me too. I figured I can kill two birds with one stone. Sharpen the mechanical skills and wind up with a nice classic bobber. :D

bluebird: That bike is way too pretty from what I'm going to do to it :D Thanks though, it is a sharp looking bike.

Actually, my mom's got an '81 Suzuki GN400 thumper, kickstart-only, in need of some cosmetic attention. It runs pretty well, also. She'd probably take any reasonable offer-- her new bike is electric start; she hated kicking the other one.

Actually, my mom's got an '81 Suzuki GN400 thumper, kickstart-only, in need of some cosmetic attention. It runs pretty well, also. She'd probably take any reasonable offer-- her new bike is electric start; she hated kicking the other one.

Give me an idea of a reasonable offer cause I'm working with about $500 on the top end. Found out this morning that some worthless skalawag in Austrailia hit my bank account up for about a grand. The bank is taking care of it but I'm short on funds til they get it sorted out. I'd deffinatly be interested though.

working on it

I'm bad at this shit, I will post a few when the wife gets home. She can hold my hand and let me know how the electric box makes the pictures appear.

I know the feeling. Usually if something doesn't work, my first response is to kick it. What reasonable price range are you thinking for it?

Give me an idea of a reasonable offer cause I'm working with about $500 on the top end. Found out this morning that some worthless skalawag in Austrailia hit my bank account up for about a grand. The bank is taking care of it but I'm short on funds til they get it sorted out. I'd deffinatly be interested though.

I could go $500 obo for the cb550 if that would help matters. Hopefully the bank gets that shit sorted out, never a good situation.

I could go $500 obo for the cb550 if that would help matters. Hopefully the bank gets that shit sorted out, never a good situation.

Indeed, it's happened before but my bank is pretty quick at sorting it all out and getting my money back. I'd feel comfortable offering $400 right now or I could do $500 in a couple weeks.

Here are the Pics, had to wait on the wife.

That's not bad at all. Mom would probably want around $600 for hers, so this CB might be better for you for now. Actually, if I had the cash I'd up-bid on that. :p Looks pretty nice.

I'm not going to BS anybody either, it is a mechanics special. It runs but it will need some attention (minor engine work, new rear rubber) to be a rider, along with some of the cosmetic issues, like an aftermarket speedo and missing side cover, but the bones are good and if your plans are to bob it anyhow then you will probably be selling alot of the pieces to fund the build anyway. Honestly I got this on trade and had plans to rework it myself into a cafe racer, but I'm also about to start bobbing a 81 LTD440 and with the three bikes in the garage I'm getting tired of moving bikes into the driveway so I have enough garage space with which to work.

I feel you on garage space. Mine has recently become the respository for miscellaneous crap. Gonna have to get it cleaned out a bit now. Not too worried about the mechanical issues, something needing some work is exactly what I was looking for and the cosmetics are a non-issue given that I'm going to bob it out. All in all it sounds perfect for a nice winter project, when do you want trade the bike for sweet cashy money?

Well I'm currently having a brother detailing the carbs for me but I should be getting them back and putting them back on in the next day or two. If we decide on a price Saturday would be probably the best day as my parents are giving me my first day of riding and respite in a month by taking the three rugrats I call children for the evening. So I should be free after about 11a.m