Looking at dual sports, need some input

YSR_Racer_99

Love my sportbike, but after my ride to Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago, am thinking about something I can comfortably ride pretty much anywhere, and for some distance, though it'll mostly be tarmac. No cruisers, not really looking for a sport tourer, and cost is an issue. The older guys I used to ride with swear by DR650's, and one of them has a newer KLR650. By looking on Craigslist and such, seems that the KLR's may be ridden more by distance riders, as they often have aluminum bags/ cases and more "goodies" on them . Not really looking to ride THAT far. I'm not an Ironbutter. Maybe 3-4 hours max ride, and that would be pretty infrequent. I want something I can throw around in the twisties. Something that doesn't put so much weight on my wrists, and something with a comfortable perch. I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam. I fell in love with a KTM 625SMC and bought it off the showroom floor a few years ago. INCREDIBLE bike, except for the seat and the vibrrrrrrationssssss. It vibrated so badly that it blurred my vision. Put 2k miles on it in two years, then sold it. Yes, had it back to the dealer, but it didn't help. Love the upright/ supermoto thing, which is part of the reason I'd like another dualsport. DRZ400 seems to be a good fit, I would just like more power...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jeff

If you're going to ride road only a used V-Strom 650 would fit the bill about perfectly for what you want. 90/10 pavement/dirt road.

A KLR will too, but it's a chore to take on the interstate, some engines burn oil at sustained high rpms and they have a tendency for the front to wallow around from buffetting wind. You can decrease that some by getting a different front sprocket and smaller handguards, front fender and a fork brace. But in the end you'll still want to keep it on the smaller roads which is where it shines.

The seat will kill your ass after 2 hours, but you can get a Walmart $20 ATV cushion seat cover that attaches with quick connects.

KLR stands for

Keep

Loctite

Ready

Get the pre 08 models, parts are plentiful and cheap, if you screw up the plastics on the 08+ it's $$$$.

I've never ridden a DR, but apparently they're even less road oriented.

I think you are limited to a DR, DRZ, KLR, BMW GS 650 / 800 / 1200, or V Strom; or an exotic - KTM Adv, etc.

Cost precludes the Beemers and KTM, the KLR honestly has spotty reliability, the DR / DRZ are probably not quite comfortable enough for what you want (though kickass bikes), the Strom is pretty fucking great all around.

The DRZ is a good bike, but it has two big issues keeping it from comfortable distance, lack of 6th gear and a brick for a seat. Also, it carries its weight way up front and high, so it feels much heavier than it really is offroad, unless you're doing a lot more offroad than on, I'd opt for the DR650 in its place. Yes, it's simpler (is that a bad thing?), but it's a better road bike all the way around and can still do some light offroading. Carries more weight (luggage, etc.), smoother at highway speeds, and has less gremlins.

If you're only going to hit fire trails and gravel roads, the DL650 stomps them all, and is a blast on the road.

I love my DL650. If I only could have 1, it would be the one. I know you will think I'm full of it, but I can keep up with most guys on sport bikes on just about any twisty road in Ohio. On the straight sections, not so much. It won't out accelerate anything, but it has just enough motor to be fun, and handles really well. It's also really comfortable. Last weekend I did a couple hundred miles, including 5-10 miles of gravel / dirt roads, and 80mph tight sweepers. It's really the best do-it-all bike I've ever owned.

Vstrom, BMW or KTM Adventure...

The rest are cheaper built and look like they are plastic toys. Take a ride to Moab and test a couple of them out. The Adventure was awesome at Moab... Riding off road and on slick rock and the like and it performed great. Well balanced and torque enough for any street riding...

And the waters get murkier. Thought I kind of had it narrowed down. I'm gun-shy on anything KTM after the 625SMC experience, but what a great, well-built bike (except the vibration thing). This isn't for lonnnnng distance stuff. I'm def. not a tourer. Much more of around town/ backroads. Avoid the highway when I can (the whole straight line, droning thing...). Again, all of the input is appreciated. Pls keep it coming. I'm amazed at the amount of Vstrom support. I had no idea.... Any thoughts on the 650 vs 1k versions?

And the waters get murkier. Thought I kind of had it narrowed down. I'm gun-shy on anything KTM after the 625SMC experience, but what a great, well-built bike (except the vibration thing). This isn't for lonnnnng distance stuff. I'm def. not a tourer. Much more of around town/ backroads. Avoid the highway when I can (the whole straight line, droning thing...). Again, all of the input is appreciated. Pls keep it coming. I'm amazed at the amount of Vstrom support. I had no idea.... Any thoughts on the 650 vs 1k versions?

If you aren't doing long highway distances, get the 650. I got the 1k because of hauling stuff long distances.

Interesting stuff on the 650. I'm amazed at the amount of support and kudos that this thing gets (on this board, as well as on the 'net itself). For fun, I was comparing it to the SV650, and in most instances the DR650 gets the edge. The SV is portrayed as a little more sport-oriented (esp the S version), but everyone talks about how versatile the VStroms are. Surprised also at how many have the large and small versions, and say they're suitable for totally different scenarios.

Thanks all. More research. Gonna beat this thing to death.

Interesting stuff on the 650. I'm amazed at the amount of support and kudos that this thing gets (on this board, as well as on the 'net itself). For fun, I was comparing it to the SV650, and in most instances the DR650 gets the edge. The SV is portrayed as a little more sport-oriented (esp the S version), but everyone talks about how versatile the VStroms are. Surprised also at how many have the large and small versions, and say they're suitable for totally different scenarios.

Thanks all. More research. Gonna beat this thing to death.

Check out www.stromtrooper.com. Everything you could want to know about VStrom. The 1000 is called the Vee, and the 650 the Wee.

If you are liter bike type of rider, you will likely want the 1000. The 650 handles a little better and is much easier to ride, but it doesn't have the liter bike kick or low end torque. The 1000 is a better highway bike, although the 650 will do it just fine- just a little doggy at high speeds. I have a 1 tooth larger front sprocket on mine to give in a little longer legs... makes it feel less frantic and is better at highway speeds and above. Just keep in mind that 65 horsepower is just 65 horsepower. The flat torque curve makes it a very useable 65hp, but it's not going to charge out of corners like a more powerful bike.

It's strange how different the two bikes feel (1000 and 650). The weight difference feels quite significant at slow speeds, and fast switchbacks. I like the lighter feel of the 650 better, and find it has enough motor for any riding I do. It's not as sharp a tool for twisties as my Triumph, of course, but it's VERY capable if you are a good rider; feels very planted (although some suspension work really makes it much better- fork brace, cartridge emulators), but takes more effort to turn in than a true sport bike. I have surprised quite a few people with what should have been much faster bikes.

I took it to a track day at Beaverrun in PA, and in the beginner class I was constantly being held up in turns by guys on real sport bikes (that couldn't ride, obviously). The problem was, I could easily pass them in the tight areas, and they would blow by me on the straights, so I had to get around them again on each turn. The experience did not shame the bike at all in the handling department. I laid it over hanging off until the pegs were grinding hard, and it was as stable as could be... a lot of fun, too.

I really don't think you will go wrong with either DL for what you are looking to do. If you want to sacrifice a little comfort and versatility, the SV is a great bike as well. The DL is a better do-it-all.

If I had to give up one of my bikes, it would be the Speed Triple. I love it, but I love the DL more, if that tells you anything.

I like the DL650 so much I bought it twice.

Literally.

:p

I love my Vee, really really wouldn't trade it for the world, but if I were buying a bike just for me I'd do the 650 without question. It's nimbler, has fewer things to sort out (not that the 1k has many), gets better mileage, and it's better at more things....plus cheaper (new).

The Vee is a truly awesome adventure touring bike, 2-up you'd have to put 2 fat chicks on it to feel that you had a passenger, and in higher-revs that big 996 just really comes to life...that's a big grin-factor to me. I love what it does well, but I do find myself wishing it were 75 lbs. lighter when on the fire roads and light trails, and a little more flickable at low speeds, basically...that it's a 650.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you are limited to a DR, DRZ, KLR, BMW GS 650 / 800 / 1200, or V Strom; or an exotic - KTM Adv, etc.

Cost precludes the Beemers and KTM, the KLR honestly has spotty reliability, the DR / DRZ are probably not quite comfortable enough for what you want (though kickass bikes), the Strom is pretty fucking great all around.

:goodpost:

The V-Strom will do the job. I spent a week on the DR650 in Mexico. Great in the dirt; no fun on the highway.