Stuck Parking Brake-'05 Wrangler

flyboy1011

So just picked up a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport(pics to come), and yesterday parked on a slight incline, so I used the parking brake. Long story short, I must have either pulled too hard on the brake or the lines are bad or a combination of the two. So are there any automotive guys out there who could maybe come by and help me unseize this biatch?

Yes, they usually do and if not you just tap on the lever that the cable hooks to at the brake drum and that will free them.

If thats the case, can't he just have someone hold the button to disengage the brake (release the tension), then tap on the cable hooks to free them? That way you aren't destroying the cable. I would try that first, in hopes that I'd fix my brake

If thats the case, can't he just have someone hold the button to disengage the brake (release the tension), then tap on the cable hooks to free them? That way you aren't destroying the cable. I would try that first, in hopes that I'd fix my brake

I like this idea.

try driving in reverse and braking hard. that used to free up the parking break on my probe. I stopped using it after the third time it stuck...

but reversing the direction of force can sort of "wiggle" the brakes the same way you'd wiggle a tent stake to get it out of the ground. forward, then brake. backward, then brake; and repeat.

^^what redkow97 said. I've had the parking brake stick on my Jeep, and I just drive it to fix it. Big pop/clunk and it lets go. With mine, it's something else that sticks when it's wet outside. Lots of brake squeak also, for a bit. It's not my cable, I think... It's a Jeep thing...

don't assume it's just a simple stuck cable problem.

I've seen brake shoes come off of the back plates on drum brakes and lodge themselves inside the drum.

Dodge neons are notorious for this.

if you have disk brakes on the rear wiggle the cable around. this often frees them up.