Triumph brakes suck

SpeedTriple44444

So, my Triple has like 6000 miles on it, and today on the way home (30 miles from home) the rear caliper locks up! What the hell? The rotor was smoking hot when I stopped. I pried the caliper open and didn't use the rear the whole way home. Anyone have any idea what the deal is?

The fronts have been squealing pretty much since it's new.

Mine did that after hitting it hard on a panic stop on the freeway. My rear brake is not a floating rotor (it's a floating caliper), so the caliper kinda froze a bit on the caliper mount it slides on. I kicked it to free it, and pulled it when home to see what stuck it. I didn't find anything, but a bit of sand or grit in the right spot will stop one from moving freely and it will drag.

So that's an easy to fix answer. The other possibility is that your caliper piston did not retract enough to let go.

Either way, once it starts dragging, it heats up and doesn't get loose, it expands fluid and tightens up.

Edited by ReconRat

The latest issue of either Cycleworld or Motorcyclist just addressed this. Basically stating that you may be inadvertently putting pressure on the brake during normal riding. I'll find the tid -bit and post more intelligently in a few mins.

I'm not sure if its an issue on the speedys, but in the sprints, triumph messed up and didn't coat the pistons, and brake dust builds up on them bad, and loose feel. I pull off my front calipers and clean it up with brake parts cleaner and its good to go again. Perhaps yours are filled with brake dust and crap, and getting stuck?

Backing out of wheelies? Why back out if you can still ride it? Parking lots...just use the front brake really hard and endo it.

:lol: I'm just kidding. But I don't ever use my rear brake...had a BAD experience w/ it when I was a new rider and quit using it.