Anyone here use helmet speakers?

Casper

I've always used earphones, but they tend to piss me off. I've been looking at different helmet speakers, trying to figure out which ones I want to buy. Anyone here use a set? Do you like them? Were they worth it?

I use a chatterbox Xbi bluetooth unit on my helmets. In my one helmet I have the stock chatterbox speakers mounted in it with the mic for answering calls if needed, they actually sound pretty good. In my new helmet I just installed a set of iAsus x-sounds. They sound a little bit better than the chatterbox's. You're not going to get the same great souond you'd get out of a set of ear buds since the speaker's not directly in your ear, but for the convenience it's worth it.

I had the bottom of the line Chatterbox speakers, and they were crap. The cable pulled out of one just enough so I had music on and off in one ear for 100 miles.

I'd recommend the skullcandy asym's, they fit beautifully inside the helmet and provide a little outside noise dampening as well.

I'd recommend the skullcandy asym's, they fit beautifully inside the helmet and provide a little outside noise dampening as well.

+1

I picked these up and decided they would be the last set of earbuds I would try before going the helmet speaker route. Needless to say, I really like these. I too enjoy the fact they offer a little bit of noise dampening, but not too much to be oblivious to sounds going on around you

I did once. forget the brand but get this set up.

I got the speakers, used ear plugs and a battery powered headphone amplifier to be able to hear the music over my ear plugs. Worked good. :)

shitty helmets with wind noise probably

yep, earplugs removed wind noise. headphone amplifier makes music loud enough to hear over ear plugs but still with out wind noise.

I have a shoei RF-1000 but it might just be that I ride too fast on a naked bike.

That and I'm always dragging knee while flipping people the bird and doing wheelies with hot chicks on the back. I'm kind of a big deal.

yep, earplugs removed wind noise. headphone amplifier makes music loud enough to hear over ear plugs but still with out wind noise.

I have a shoei RF-1000 but it might just be that I ride too fast on a naked bike.

That and I'm always dragging knee while flipping people the bird and doing wheelies with hot chicks on the back. I'm kind of a big deal.

Well played sir!

I use the Scala rider q2 radio blue tooth two way with helmet speakers I love it. The new model can do mp3s too. A little pricey but worth it especially if someone you ride with often also has the headset.

I use the Scala rider q2 radio blue tooth two way with helmet speakers I love it. The new model can do mp3s too. A little pricey but worth it especially if someone you ride with often also has the headset.

the radio is alright, but the mp3 player feature sucks balls

your mp3 player powers the audio port, and drains power from the player....ipods arent strong enough to power the unit and play music effeciently...meaning, anything about 45mph and you cant hear the mp3s clear at all (way way too quiet)...its just noise, and barely that...i dont even bother using mp3s anymore, just use the radio

• 1 year later...

I don't know why but I've been considering going the helmet speaker route again. My only issue is if I'm going to do it, I need a suggestion of a high quality speaker that gets pretty loud. My goal is to wear ear plugs for the wind but still be able to have music in the old brain bucket that I can hear

I swear I've read somewhere people have done this with success but of course I can't remember where or who now

Scala teamset speakers, ear plugs. "Boostaroo" headphone amplifier from radio in tank bag to the aux-in on the teamset.

Normal riding - radio

Two-up - intercom

Phone calls break through the radio or intercom

Edited by Scruit

i can still hear mine with ear plugs in....

in fact, they sound better on the freeway with the earplugs...

around town they sound better without earplugs

lol

I actually have a sweet idea on the VFR of where to mount some speakers but alas I don't have the fabricating skills to pull it off

with speakers wouldn't you have to really crank up the volume to get any decent sound on highway speed? with or without ear plugs.

I'd think that you are hurting your ears by having the volume up so high.

I've pretty much given in to the fact I'll be deaf by 60 if I make it that long. I pretty much have to blast my earbuds as it is at freeway speeds. What gets me is I can listen to music all day and not get a headache, but an hour of windnoise on the slab gives me the worst headache in the world so thats why I'd like to explore this option while I'm bored in the winter

Plus people are always waiting for me to gear up and the hardest part is putting on the helmet without the buds popping out :(

with speakers wouldn't you have to really crank up the volume to get any decent sound on highway speed? with or without ear plugs.

I'd think that you are hurting your ears by having the volume up so high.

nah, with the earplugs I crank it up, but the speakers are mounted on the brake and clutch mounts directly in front of my face, so they don't have to be cranked all that high for normal roads.

when I'm stopped they seem a LOT louder, but some of the volume is lost to the wind.

putting on the helmet without the buds popping out :(

exactly why I went with speakers, plus I can leave my stuff mounted to the bike when i'm gassing up or making a quick stop, and not have to worry about fumbling for the mp3 player or whatever. Got a power switch and volume knob mounted to the right fairing.

hmmmm...The foam earbuds (i.e. JVC Marshmellows) are the only one's I've been able to make work, although mine are some sort of Sony model. I can leave it at a respectable volume while stopped and have no need to increase the volume while at highway speed. Foam covered or a noise cancelling earbud seems to me the only way to ensure I don't have hearing damage. Every other kind of in-helmet earphones or speakers I would think would eventually do irrepairable damage since you'd have to crank it up.

Although, Magley's option of externally mounted speakers would be the next best option for sure. But then when I come to a stoplight I'd have to lower the volume so other people don't hear me rocking to ABBA or Kenny G.

hmmmm...The foam earbuds (i.e. JVC Marshmellows) are the only one's I've been able to make work, although mine are some sort of Sony model. I can leave it at a respectable volume while stopped and have no need to increase the volume while at highway speed. Foam covered or a noise cancelling earbud seems to me the only way to ensure I don't have hearing damage. Every other kind of in-helmet earphones or speakers I would think would eventually do irrepairable damage since you'd have to crank it up

thats basically what I do now. I took the foam pieces from the marshmellows and stuck the on the Skull candy asyms. The only problem is that my ear canals are goofy shaped or size and I can't find any size that will stay in my right ear and the left is better but still not ideal as it works its way out in a short time