So, it's pretty much a curse for new tires...

RSparky

picture.php?albumid=1128&pictureid=12310&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=1128&pictureid=12311&thumb=1 I got my new Michelin Road 2's yesterday.

And today, I hit a nail. It got lodged in my tread, and laid almost flat, which is good, but the tip did puncture about a half inch along the groove. It slid just under the skin of the rubber. When I got home tonight, I pulled it out with some needle nose pliers, and a screw driver.

What do you guys think? It looks like it won't really sacrifice the integrity of the tire, will it?

Edited by RSparky
pictures.

Depends on how deep it went in the tread. The problem that you may find is that even though the tire is holding air, once you start riding you will start getting dirt and debris inside the hole. That will eventually puncture your inner liner.

• 2 weeks later...

$200 tire is not worth your life. You can plug it and it will MOST LIKELY hold. But consider that when you are leaned in a corner and the load applied to that tire and the way that is will shift the tread around. Do you really want to think in mid lean, is this going to hold or am I going to loose it into that gaurd rail? I would be happy to give you the tire a cost and even discount the service cost of the change. Let me know.

Agree with above. Pretty generous offer from justin IMO!!

I know we all need to pinch pennies, but tires are the only connection to keeping you up. Spend $200 now and save injuries and other bike repairs later... Can you imagine a blow out on the highway...in traffic...

I know someone at work who almost says pridefully that his tires are almost bald. :nono: just don't understand that mentality.

just not worth it in my opinion.

It's probably fine. When it happened to me I replaced the tire, but it was a cut in my 1000 mile old tire and I wasn't sure how deep it went... also was somewhat close to the sidewall. I wanted the peace of mind... $160 worth.

Considering the amount of cord showing through the rear of my tire I replaced on Saturday, I would say they tend to be not quite as fragile as we think.

Having blown out several tires while moving... I don't skimp on tires. Especially the front tire. I like nice new tires with no holes in them. And I'll pay extra for a better tire. I had to take off a rear tire that had only about 500 miles on it, and replaced it.

And no, tires aren't fragile. I've worn several rear tires down to the cord. But not past that...