Bicycles: advice on this bike?

jbot

Hai Gaiz,

I'm looking to get a all-purpose type of bike. I'm not going to be doing any 1 type of riding, so I thought I'd just get a mountain bike. Keep in mind, I have no idea about bicycles at all other than that the last time I had a bike, I got 1 for $5 and it was a rusted up road bike that wouldn't stay in gear that I used in college. It did have this cool leather seat though.

without further ado, any opinions on this bike?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/bik/1919220005.html

i did some basic research. people said this is a good starter bike, with a more than decent frame.

most importantly, in your honest, unbiased opinion... can it do sweet jumps?

Edited by jbot

Treks are high-end pricey bikes. Guess it really depends on how often you're gonna be riding and where. Also depends on what they want for that one on CL.

I've got a DiamondBack, think I paid like $289 for at Dicks.

he listed for $300 and said the price is a "little negotiable" in an email, but that i should come check it out.

and it looks to be an older model since the only thing that shows up for trek 6500 are the ones with disc brakes... and those are significantly moar expensive.

bleh. too bad i am too cheap to buy new.

dude you need at least a rear shock, disc brakes, and front forks

Hard tails are fine. Discs are for more serious riders and if just casual riding, they aren't needed. Fork, yes.

The Trek shown on CL is really old, too. Too high priced and more applicable to a collector, I suspect due to the good condition.

I'd go to spending $500 and look for a higher end used or a good new one. Trek, Fisher, Specialized, etc are good choices in that range of money.

There's a TON of great deals on Ebay, too. Just need to research what you're looking at.

Check out www.MTBR.com and check the forums and the reviews section. Best site for MTB bikes...

Hard tails are fine. Discs are for more serious riders and if just casual riding, they aren't needed. Fork, yes.

The Trek shown on CL is really old, too. Too high priced and more applicable to a collector, I suspect due to the good condition.

I'd go to spending $500 and look for a higher end used or a good new one. Trek, Fisher, Specialized, etc are good choices in that range of money.

There's a TON of great deals on Ebay, too. Just need to research what you're looking at.

Check out www.MTBR.com and check the forums and the reviews section. Best site for MTB bikes...

Oh, you ride mtn bikes? :p

Hai Gaiz,

I'm looking to get a all-purpose type of bike.

I've been trying to find something like this as well, and it's a lot like trying to find an all-purpose motorcycle; you're going to compromise somewhere.

Unfortunately, there is no hyper motard of the bicycle world (which compromises on power, aerodynamics, etc...)

The best I've been able to come up with is a hardtail mountain bike with decent front suspension, and then invest in a second set of rims with street-friendly tires.

swapping bicycle rims only takes a couple minutes, and I think you'll probably find that you end up leaving the street tires on 90% of the time.

One thing to take note note when choosing between a department store bike and a Trek, Specialized, etc is quality, components and weight. Will Dicks bike get you around..sure but I wouldn't want to be taking that thing anywhere near a trail..

Brian is right $500 will get you a good all starter bike that won't fall apart on you if you start doing any serious riding.

Hmm..I have a little interest in this as well. I keep saying I'm going to buy a bike, but I can't seem to find one with a hand cannon mount for my treks through the hood. That, and I know little about bikes. I know I don't want to spend $500 on something I won't use that often, but since I'm slinging 225 lbs on it, I don't want it to fall apart either.

Edited by InyaAzz

I got a dicks diamond back with front shocks only. off road style of bike, works fine for my rides. I use it for the bike path here by wallace lake and some light dirt riding. It is somewhat heavy but so am I. If you want to drop 5 bills on a trek of some thing else to have it sit in the garage go ahead. My bike has been beat up going down some hills an trails and has been fine with my walrus ass on it.

pDSP1-7075327dt.jpg

Edited by speedytriple

Well, I, like the noob I am, jumped the gun and bought it before checking the thread. On the other hand, he came down quite a bit from his asking price so I hope I didn't get bent over too bad. It is in pretty good shape I guess.

Live and learn

i'm pretty much going to use this to "walk" the dog when I get lazy, and ride back and forth from the bathroom to canopy at the track (til i get a xr100 lol) and etc etc.

the old man i bought it from is a bike mechanic and he said he'll fix whatever is wrong with the bike so there's that haha

Edited by jbot

Well, I, like the noob I am, jumped the gun and bought it before checking the thread. On the other hand, he came down quite a bit from his asking price so I hope I didn't get bent over too bad. It is in pretty good shape I guess.

Live and learn

Dumb ass. Are you bringing this POS to beaverun this weekend?

this is my bicycle:

dw9tl2.jpg

fixed gear mountain bike. fuji frame, bulletproof 3pc crank, rear is a surly flip flop hub laced to a sun rim. front wheel is an alex X2000. shimano brake levers, low rise bars.