Anybody know who can work on my crank??

fireman_343

I'm sure some dirty minds are thinking some funny shit right now, but I'm talking about my motorcycle crank!

I've got a Takegawa 124 stroker crank off my XR100 motor and it needs news needle bearings and crank pin (maybe a new rod) installed. It is welded, so it would need ground off to pressed out. I would like to keep it here in Ohio before I ship it out to Cali for someone out there to repair it.

I can get the parts for it, I've got a contact in Japan that can get the crank rebuild kit to me fast, just looking for someone to install everything and weld it back up.

Here is a pic of my "unit" haha

DSC06793.jpg

Edited by fireman_343

Here's the Ohio list of shops that do crankshafts:

http://www.crankshaftco.com/engine-repair-directory/ohio.html

The only ones I've ever used is NAPA for cages and Columbus Col-Weld for motorcycle crankshafts. And that was years and years ago, so I don't know what to expect from Col-Weld now. I'd start dialing the phone and asking which ones can do it proper.

Last I knew, Columbus Col-weld did good work still. When I was in manufacturing, we had them do some splatter welding (I think that's what it's called) and they did a good job, but the process wasn't what would hold up in under the conditions we needed.

Last I knew, Columbus Col-weld did good work still. When I was in manufacturing, we had them do some splatter welding (I think that's what it's called) and they did a good job, but the process wasn't what would hold up in under the conditions we needed.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the splatter weld to hold up the same as the base metal. (Have the same metallurgical properties.) Not unless it were heat-treated again and all, and that would be too expensive.

I took my crank to columbus cold weld over on harrisburg pike they did a awesome job on it .

I was hoping a few would say it's still a great place. Back-in-the-day we took all the crankshafts there for repair. It was a lot cheaper than buying a crankshaft.

Don't know why, but I keep thinking the name used to be Columbus Crankshaft. I think I dreamed that up.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the splatter weld to hold up the same as the base metal. (Have the same metallurgical properties.) Not unless it were heat-treated again and all, and that would be too expensive.

I'm not sure what process they used. Money was really not an issue, but time was. I'm pretty sure they ended up cutting the end off the part and having a new piece made and bolted to what was left. This was a part for a blow molding machine. There were actually 6 of them in the place, plus I think they had an extra. Fun times. I sort fo miss that job.

Back OT... I bet CCW would know what to do, and has probably done that job, or one very similar before.

CCW said they don't have a jig for it, so they can't do it.

Looks like nobody can do it around Ohio/Columbus area so I'm going to ship off to engines only (www.xr100.com) and have them do it. Plus it's cheap.. $80 to install and fix everything!