Setting off around a corner

Scruit

In he motorcycle safety class they had us counter balancing during slow turns and manuvers. Slightly hang your butt off the opposite side of the turn.

On my MSF BRC I use a little 50cc dirt bike. I could balance that thing all day long and the figure-8 was real easy by counter-balancing as you say. The Volusia is a much bigger bike, of course, so I'd have to hang quite a ways off the high side to counter-balance it. Although my wife would say I've gotten heavy enough I might just manage it...

:wtf:

:cry:

What do you suggest? I had my eye on a BMW K1200.

That would be nice. I just said that about the proper bike because cruisers aren't known for their sharp handling & you sound like someone that is interested in the way a bike handles & a good handling bike.

You can counter-steer at any speed. The idea behind it is for the counter steer to "initiate" the lean for you.

Try it while just cruising straight, just bump the handle bar slightly to the right and feel the bike lean to the left.

I'm thinking I need to get up to Mid Ohio and do their bike course...

BTW, my turns are smoothing out greatly. As time goes by my trust in the bike's traction in the lean is getting greater so I'm losing the fear that dragging the pegs will cause me to tripod. Leaning mor into the corner initally is making it easier to smooth out the acceleration through in he corner as all I need to do it let the bike stand up again. By seeing the corner as a single thing rather than a mesh of two cornering styles I'm finding myself better able to take the corner in a single smooth curve.

I'm thinking I need to get up to Mid Ohio

I went to Mid Ohio for my first trackday, and not to discourage you or any1 from going, I wouldn't go there with a cruiser. You may be a moving chicane, even in the slowest group.

Edited by alienpi

I went to Mid Ohio for my first trackday, and not to discourage you or any1 from going, I wouldn't go there with a cruiser. You may be a moving chicane, even in the slowest group.

No, no, no... There's no way I'm taking my cruiser on the track. :wtf:

*Goes to mid-ohio website*

Dangit - I should have read the course info better. :o I did their Defensive Driving and Advanced Defensive Driving courses last year and they provide the car if you pay extra. I was hoping they'd provide the bike too. Apparently not.

No, no, no... There's no way I'm taking my cruiser on the track. :wtf:

*Goes to mid-ohio website*

Dangit - I should have read the course info better. :o I did their Defensive Driving and Advanced Defensive Driving courses last year and they provide the car if you pay extra. I was hoping they'd provide the bike too. Apparently not.

KTM Race Orange events. We provide the bike and you can take the Novice course and you'd be set!

I'm thinking I need to get up to Mid Ohio and do their bike course...

BTW, my turns are smoothing out greatly. As time goes by my trust in the bike's traction in the lean is getting greater so I'm losing the fear that dragging the pegs will cause me to tripod. Leaning mor into the corner initally is making it easier to smooth out the acceleration through in he corner as all I need to do it let the bike stand up again. By seeing the corner as a single thing rather than a mesh of two cornering styles I'm finding myself better able to take the corner in a single smooth curve.

This can be one of the hardest things to learn. Hell, I've been riding for years and my Shadow still feels like it's trying to slide out from under me on faster ramps. But, aside from the occasional over-gassed rear slip, it's never actually lost it yet.

It sounds like maybe you're approaching the turns just a little too cautiously--i.e., too slowly--and then having to accelerate in the middle of your turn, which is prolly the reason you find yourself heading into the opposing lane.

Now, initiating a turn at a reasonable speed and gradually increasing it as you complete the turn isn't a bad thing (that's how the racer boyz do it) but as a relative beginner with low mileage under your belt, you should try carrying a bit more speed into the first part of the turn--enough to ensure you're in a stable lean--and then hold your speed constant as you finish the last part of your turn. As you gain confidence, you can begin to increase your lean angles thru the turn as you increase your speed.

And I agree with the earlier post: there are no turns that don't begin with a counter-steer movment. They are just very slight at low speed.

And I agree with the earlier post: there are no turns that don't begin with a counter-steer movment. They are just very slight at low speed.

One way to prove it, that amuses me... is to steer with one hand, and see which way you actually have to push/pull to turn.

Counter steering is funny. You all have been doing it forever. Ever ride a bicycle? You do it... You've done it... Quit worrying about it and just ride. As stated by Nick in the video - it is and should be very intuitive.

You think about it, and you'll screw it up. Take it out of your mind and worry about other things like body position and throttle application. Counter steering is going on or you crash. Simple.

One way to prove it, that amuses me... is to steer with one hand, and see which way you actually have to push/pull to turn.

I have done this. A friend told me once of a class he was in or something where the people didn't believe in countersteering. He said he tied off a piece of string to the end of a bar, and got the bike up to speed. Then he pulled on the string, to prove what was happening. I think it was all experienced riders, too.

Counter steering is funny. You all have been doing it forever. Ever ride a bicycle? You do it... You've done it... Quit worrying about it and just ride. As stated by Nick in the video - it is and should be very intuitive.

You think about it, and you'll screw it up. Take it out of your mind and worry about other things like body position and throttle application. Counter steering is going on or you crash. Simple.

Ya know, taking your mind out of it is exactly how I have put it before! So many times I've been riding and thinking about the road surface, or a car in the other lane. Just look at the end of the turn, where you want to go, and all will be good.

• 10 months later...

I've found that "looking through the turn" helped me, as did more experience (Still a long way to go, of course). Experience has made me more familiar with what my bike will do based on what inputs I give it... Knowing how my bike will respond and bonding with it is a good thing :)

I WILL admit I'm not positive what the proper body position is for a lean/turn, though, if someone wants to enlighten me...? Hang butt/shift weight over the "outside" to counterbalance?