Need Shotgun input.

chevysoldier

What shotgun should I get?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What shotgun should I get?

• Rem. 870
    • Anything but a 870.
    • H & B

I'm looking into getting a shotgun hopefully soon, this will be my first. I'm trying to stay under $300. I want something mainly for home defense with the occasional clay so next time I'm not stuck sitting on the thrower. :D I have really been looking at these two.

First is Maverick 7 + 1 Round 12 Ga. I like having 8 rounds in the gun, better for defense. (Can also get a 5 + 1 model)

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=422757&pdesc=Maverick_7_1_Round_12_Ga/20_Blue_Barrel/Cylinder_Bore/Synthetic_Stock&r=view&from=grid

Then the Remmington 870 12ga. This is only 4 + 1 so that would give me 3 less shots. But I was told the accessories for this shotgun are readily available.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95549

What do all you guys think? Any other recommendations?

Edited by chevysoldier

You can buy ANYTHING for them. Any barrel imaginable, stocks, etc. And as for the 8 rounds thing, you can get extension tubes for the 870. Literally, you can get anything.

Hmm. You paid $320 for it? I see on the site about a $30 rebate?

You can buy ANYTHING for them. Any barrel imaginable, stocks, etc. And as for the 8 rounds thing, you can get extension tubes for the 870. Literally, you can get anything.

He is right! there is even a drum style mag extension that holds something like 25 or 30 shells... not for hunting of course. i have one and it started as a smooth bore with full wood furniture and now it is cut to just above legal limit and pistol grips front and rear. havent upgraded tubes yet but you dont normally need more than 4 shells... i have other guns for shootout situations. lol 870 rem is anything you could want in a pump shotgun and all parts are cheep compared to mossberg or others. Btw i can change my barrel on mine in about 15 seconds or less so you can have other barrels and swap them easily. just cant go hunting with a folding stock or pistol grip. The 870 is the small block chevy of the gun world.

Remington 870, so many accessories for them. Look at www.cheaperthandirt.com for a selection.

SHT-082.jpgTAC STAR Shotgun Rem 8 shot Mag Extension Easy to Install No Gunsmithing

Nice site. Gonna have fun on there.

He is right! there is even a drum style mag extension that holds something like 25 or 30 shells... not for hunting of course. i have one and it started as a smooth bore with full wood furniture and now it is cut to just above legal limit and pistol grips front and rear. havent upgraded tubes yet but you dont normally need more than 4 shells... i have other guns for shootout situations. lol 870 rem is anything you could want in a pump shotgun and all parts are cheep compared to mossberg or others. Btw i can change my barrel on mine in about 15 seconds or less so you can have other barrels and swap them easily. just cant go hunting with a folding stock or pistol grip. The 870 is the small block chevy of the gun world.

Awesome. I've never really dealt with shotguns. Only shot my dads and some friends. Don't know a whole lot about them but this is getting my excited now. :D

We should do a range day get together and shoot some crap. We could rent out someplace indoors during the winter and get a group rate!

Need to get together again before winter. Ranges usually frown upon the use of tannerite. And I like shooting at my own leisure, not under time restraints.

tannerite?!?! wtf dude... obviously that would be frowned upon by an indoor range and it would be something to schedule for the winter for something to do as a group when we cant go riding. if u want to get together earlier thats cool. just a future plan thought..... Casper? That was sort of toward u to see if we could throw around some OR weight. if not no biggie

tannerite?!?! wtf dude... obviously that would be frowned upon by an indoor range and it would be something to schedule for the winter for something to do as a group when we cant go riding. if u want to get together earlier thats cool. just a future plan thought..... Casper? That was sort of toward u to see if we could throw around some OR weight. if not no biggie

Yeah I know. I've never been to an indoor range. Just always gone to my parents land to shoot. I kind of enjoying shooting outside in the winter anyways. Gives you more variables to think about. It might not be 80 degrees, sunny and calm when you need to use the firearm. I might be in for a range day depending on the cost.

We happen to have a fellow on here who is gracious enough to let us use his land. :D

That was a blast last time. I had so much fun.

Ok... well... seeing shit exploding for free is good!!... dog gone it! im in! lol

:lol:

+1 to everyone else above and before. I own 3 870s (my grandfather's wingmaster, my wingmaster, and express home defense). Picked up the home defense for $320 before $30 rebate at Vances. There isn't a finer multi-use sub-$grand scattergun made. I believe Maverick is Mossberg's budget gun. My FIL's fell apart after a box of shells but that was nearly 20 years ago.

Remington has produced over 10 million 870 pump shotguns. I have a 870 Express synthetic stock, 7 round model. I am borrowing a barrel and will go turkey hunting with it. I plan to purchase another 870 to use for skeet.

When i was looking for a shotgun, i narrowed down my choice between the Mossburg 500 and the Remington 870. I choose the 870 based on numerous people that i know that own this model and the affordablity.