Oshp....

warpspeed

Got nailed this morning by OSHP for tint on front windows and too far down on windshield, and for tinted plate cover on the back AND no front plate....

Already peeled the window tint off, gotta get the windshield tint professionally trimmed, got the plate cover off and got the front plate mounted up....

I'm going to take pics of it, and try to have a cop? inspect it and make sure its all legal and sign the pics...THEN go tell the judge how the car came from florida and I bought it that way and its all legal now....which is 100% truth.

does the above sound like a good plan? worthwhile input welcome.

if I just pay it its $260 and I got trivial crap on my record.

From now on I'm keeping the front plate on and put on lighter tint this isn't worth it.

thanks BGV. so you just plead "not guilty" at the court date, and ask to talk to a prosecutor? not sure how that works, I've never been to court before.

JRM i was 100% respectful. I asked the leo if I could remove it and get it inspected and he said "talk to the judge"....

What's the ORC statute cited?

I'm like 98% sure you could just go in an plead not guilty and be acquitted. What evidence is there against you? A cop's word. A cop's eye is not a tint-meter.

Worse case, get it inspected, show it is within the legal limit, then plead not guilty. Saves you $260.

I am not a lawyer, but I spent 2 minutes on this post @ $200/hr legal fee... you owe me $7, but lets just call it an even $5 since I haven't passed the Bar....yet.

We got a warning in Worthington once for tinted plate covers, I had to take them off

and come back to the station and show them that they were off...

3692830006_large.jpg

The cop said the "ticket" was $200 EACH plate! So I gladly took the warning!

...Plus 20% is pretty freakin obvious.

Yeah, legal is only 50% I believe which is pretty light.

Edited by SWing'R

yea i hear ya.......but what really gets my goat is its listed as a moving violation....i want to know for sure if that = POINTS. I want to get my CDL and already have 6 points and more will really screw me over. plus insurance is already screwin me.

2010-09-27213132.jpg

i've never heard window tint be a moving violation, makes no sense to me. Regardless, none of those should have any points. Hell I got a ticket a month ago for 16 over in a construction zone and somehow I got zero points

found some more bs.......

OSHP website says 50% on the back windows

http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQ.stm#equipment

According to Ohio Administrative Code 4501-41-03, on Ohio registered vehicles window tint must allow 50 percent light transmittance on the rear and side windows, and 70 percent transmittance on the windshield. In other words, the tint can not be darker than 50 percent on the side and back, and 30 percent on the windshield.

Light transmittance of 50 percent does not apply on the windows behind the driver if there are outside left and right side mirrors. Remember, auto glass is slightly tinted from the factory and will make the tint you apply to your windows darker than advertised by the tint manufacturer.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.241
materials in or on motor vehicle windshields, side windows, sidewings, and rear windows that prevent a person of normal vision looking into the motor vehicle from seeing or identifying persons or objects inside the motor vehicle.
as far as the rear windows go, these guys COULD be wrong : http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OH/

thats redundant once you think about it.....if you have mirrors its legal, but if people cant see in and identify you its illegal... sheesh.

I'd be PISSED if i had to remove the tint on the rear windows, they were expensive! But not too worried about that.

Edited by warpspeed

Were you being a dick?

Because either the cop was having a bad day, or you were giving him one to get a tint ticket.

You could just fight it in court and get it thrown out.

Dude, its the Highway Patrol. They are hired by their level of dickliness.

Only Major Penises who were picked on ruthlessly as a youth are allowed to join the Ohio State Ticket Nazis

found some more bs.......

OSHP website says 50% on the back windows

http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQ.stm#equipment

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.241

as far as the rear windows go, these guys COULD be wrong : http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OH/

thats redundant once you think about it.....if you have mirrors its legal, but if people cant see in and identify you its illegal... sheesh.

I'd be PISSED if i had to remove the tint on the rear windows, they were expensive! But not too worried about that.

cliffs since thats a confusing mess

windshield: 70 percent max tint

side windows driver/passs: 50 percent max

all windows behind driver, including rear: no limit if you have side mirrors, 50% if you have no mirrors

thanks BGV. so you just plead "not guilty" at the court date, and ask to talk to a prosecutor? not sure how that works, I've never been to court before.

Only if you it gets that far. Call the prosecutor before the arraignment and let him know you corrected the infractions which you were cited for. Ask if you could have the charges reduced. If he won't plea this early then plead "not guilty" at the arraignment and then call the prosecutor before the assigned court date and request the reduced charge. Depending on the court, the prosecutor may want to plea it out well before the court date or on the morning of before court starts session.

Tint tickets are hit or miss when in court. I have been busted for 20% all around. In my little town, it cost me 185dollars. Most cops won't even mess with ticketing it, unless they need to get their count up.

Cops are suppose to test the window in question, and list what weather condition it is on the ticket. If it isn't tested, then it can be thrown out, because there is no way to know how dark the tint is.

According to the cops I have talked to, that I know, they have to test in at least one way. If there was no test done, then there is no way to prove it is illegal. Also, the windows covered with tint that are looked out of, have to be at 50% at the max in OHIO. That is the drivers window and front passenger. All others windows, can be whatever you want. Have never had a cop say anything about a rear window, so I don't know what to say about it. The front window, at least around here, can be as dark as you want, but no more than 6" down the window.

These tickets are like exhaust tickets. They don't carry a DB meeter, so they go by what they think is "to loud" which the court usually throws out, depending on the car around here.

I have been pulled over several times for exhaust, window tint, and audio. Every time I have to laugh. When a cop walks up to the car, ask for your license and etc... says he pulled you over for window tint, walks to his car, comes back hands you your stuff and says to make sure you get your exhaust fixed, and keep the radio down, what can you do? Then they ask what is so funny, and you tell him that the exhaust meets all requirements with mufflers(like I said, I live in a little town that doesn't require cats), and the radio is barely turned on, they get a little pissed. I have been pulled over by the same cop 3 times in one night for the same damn thing. How do you explain that?

Like I said though, take it for a grain of salt. I live in a small town, and that is how it goes around here.

Only if you it gets that far. Call the prosecutor before the arraignment and let him know you corrected the infractions which you were cited for. Ask if you could have the charges reduced. If he won't plea this early then plead "not guilty" at the arraignment and then call the prosecutor before the assigned court date and request the reduced charge. Depending on the court, the prosecutor may want to plea it out well before the court date or on the morning of before court starts session.

Long time ago I called to talk to the prosecutor and they said, "Why?!". I told them and they said I can't talk to them, but my lawyer can/will if I have one. So I got a pricey lawyer and he did and then got it settled. They can be pricks and not care to talk to you.

Edited by NinjaNick