hand gun v. shotgun v. rifle

redkow97

I may have started a similar thread a few months ago, but I can't find it... to recap; I've never owned a gun, and only fired hand guns. Hoping to buy myself an early christmas present though. (i gave up on my prior gun quest when the track bike needed a new rear tire :p)

Here are the "bullet points" (haha - i'm hilarious) of my situation:

- my primary concern is home defense, but I want to actually USE any firearm I purchase. Range shooting needs to be possible and affordable (i know the last range I was at didn't allow rifles or shotguns...)

- my wife doesn't like firearms. I have to choose ONE (for now). She particularly dislikes the size and "image" of shotguns, or this would be an easy decision.

- I am CHEAP. $200 is my absolute max budget. Cheaper would be better.

- cost and availability of ammo matter a lot.

- "stopping power" isn't a huge concern for me. Missing an intruder and shooting through my neighbor's wall IS a concern...

So where the questions come in...

how accurate can a novice shooter hope to be with a hand gun?

I like the compact size (for storage purposes) of a hand gun, and the wife somehow finds them less intimidating than shotguns, but I don't really love target shooting in the 15-30 foot range.

Options I'm considering:

1) telling the wife to blow it out her ear and buying an inexpensive 12 gauge. Only draw-back I see here is the size of the firearm, and maybe the recoil.

2) telling the wife, "I understand that a 12 gauge scares you and you'd have a hard time handling the recoil in an emergency, so I'm buying a 20 gauge" (is ammo as cheap and available? could I still shoot clays with it? is it still a decent home defense weapon? what could I potentially hunt with it?)

3) buying a cheap-ass hi-point .38 - for $135 new, it just seems like a convenient and cheap option...

4) going with an inexpensive .22 revolver or pistol that can share ammo with a .22 rifle I might some day be able to purchase - then the hand-gun is my "home intruder" weapon (despite the small caliber round), and the rifle is for when I want to pretend to be a sniper, or pick off looters in the street when the dollar collapses and the country descends into anarchy.

As much as I'd like a small arsenal in my home, I'm also trying to keep my wife relatively happy, or like I said, the shot-gun would be a no brainer.

thoughts?

• Upvote 1

I say get 1 of each.

if I had my way, I'd get:

- a .22 pistol

- a .22 rifle with a big-ass scope

- a higher-powered hunting rifle of some sort (haven't researched that at all...)

- a 12 gauge shotgun.

- a .45 pistol

Realistically, that would cover pretty much all my needs except carry, which I don't currently plan on doing (routinely). Might still get the permit though, just to have the option.

...but I'm married. I stopped getting my way as soon as we started planning the wedding!

Well it seems you got yourself a bit of a pickle.

This is just my opinion so here goes.

If you want to just tell your wife to stick it and go with the shotgun I think that for you and what you said in the first post would be best for you. Ammo is like twenty bucks for a brick. If you miss you don't have to worry about it going int'l the neighbors house. And thirdly recoil is manageable wig he propped form. A short barreled shotgun is prob the best bet for home defense for an inexperienced shooter like you described yourself as.

Second best option I think is the pistol idea. I know alot of folks don't like the high points for different reasons but I say a gun is better than no gun even if its cheap. I wouldn't go with a 380 though since you want cheap ammo. Sometimes it's hard to find and it can be on the pricey side at times also. I would go with a 9mm. Its about twenty three for a hundred rounds and available everywhere.

Last option for you I think is the 22. I love my river 10 22, but I wouldn't depend the saftey of my family on it. Its a blast to shoot and cheap as he'll but its not what I want when shit would hit the fan.

Here are the "bullet points" (haha - i'm hilarious) of my situation:

- my primary concern is home defense, but I want to actually USE any firearm I purchase. Range shooting needs to be possible and affordable (i know the last range I was at didn't allow rifles or shotguns...)

Shotgun, find a new range.

- my wife doesn't like firearms. I have to choose ONE (for now). She particularly dislikes the size and "image" of shotguns, or this would be an easy decision.

Tough Sh*t...bad guys dislike shotguns too.

- I am CHEAP. $200 is my absolute max budget. Cheaper would be better.

- cost and availability of ammo matter a lot.

Shotgun meets all those requirements

- "stopping power" isn't a huge concern for me. Missing an intruder and shooting through my neighbor's wall IS a concern...

Shotgun gives you both stopping and less likelihood of shooting up the the neighbors house. With the added advantage (with buckshot) that you don't NEED to be an accomplished marksman. Practice is always recommended.

If you get to the point of getting your concealed carry permit, you can get the handgun then. For now, get the 12 gauge. Much more versatile. Take the wife to a clays range. She'll fall in love with it.

Ok - that's along the lines of what I thought...

What about a 20 gauge?

is ammo still easy to find? can I shoot clays iwth it? will it put a (big enough) hole in a bad-guy?

They are petty similar but go with a12 ga. more of a market for it.

If you're already looking at Hi-Points, another option would be their 9mm carbine. Cheap(ish) ammo, fun to shoot, lifetime warranty, 9mm recoil is easy to handle in carbine form, and easier to keep on target than a handgun. Wifey might have issues with a "black gun" though.

This is all assuming you have no issues with having a Hi-Point in the first place - I know the subject of having one for home defense (or at all) can get some people fired up.

Ok - that's along the lines of what I thought...

What about a 20 gauge?

is ammo still easy to find? can I shoot clays iwth it? will it put a (big enough) hole in a bad-guy?

Going with a 20 gauge would really just be a symbolic gesture for the wife. They are no less powerful, simply delivering less payload. A 12 is actually a more novice -friendly round as it is far more forgiving accuracy-wise. The guy in the pheasant field with the 20 or the. 410 generally needs to be more skilled. I've also seen far better selection of 12 ammo than 20

Shotgun

Good for home defense.

A little above your budget but I picked up a brand new Rem. 870 home defense for $259. Barrel length is only 18.5 inches. So its not too intimidating. It's fun for shooting clays too. Ammo is about $20 for 100 rounds, for a low brass ammo.

I went with a handgun on round two. As it is more for carry, and range fun. And as Kawi kid stated, be ready for a new expensive hobby.

I suggest the 870 they are a little more than you want to spend new but you can get a used one cheap.

I was going out of town for a couple days my girl friend asked if I could leave one of my guns out for her incase someone broke in. So I got the 870 with the 18in barrel and two shot extension. She said no not that one your little one (my .45). I explained it to her like this; " if you need to use this (holding up a .45 round) and you are nervous, you've got less than 1/2 an inch to hit your target. With the 12 its like chucking a basket ball at them. Even if your aim is off a little the chances of hitting an intruder are greater." She said "i don't want to shoot anyone I want to scare them away". I grabbed the 870 and racked a round into the chamber. She jumped. "i scared you didn't i?" She replied "yeah". I explained that you would have to see you with the .45 to be scared. But everyone knows the sound of a shot gun and it is scary as fuck when you hear it unexpectedly. If someone in the house hears that and doesn't leave they are planning on seriously harming you or your family and you have to shoot them.

I would go with a shotgun, 12 guauge is my suggestion. At least a 16. The reason for the shot gun is its variety of ammo small bird shot, buck shot (a 3" triple ot fires 9 chunks of lead about the size of a .38 or 9mm round), slugs, rock salt and a lot of crazy less practical rounds available online. My favorite part is the ease to operate. It's so easy a caveman can do it. Lol. Pump, push, point and squeeze. Pump to cock it. Push the safety off. Point at the Target. Squeeze the trigger. In a panicked situation simple task are difficult keep it simple.

Red i have all the guns you mentioned when you want to meet at stonewall to see what you want?

shit man - i'd say tonight if I wasn't going to dinner with my in-laws.

I work at Pleasant Valley & Brecksville Rd, so I'm basically there already...

What kind of restrictions does stonewall have on shotguns?