hand gun v. shotgun v. rifle

redkow97

care to elaborate?

My point was really to get some clarification about what people really meant by "stopping power."

the notion that a bullet will knock someone over or somehow impede their forward progress for any reason beyond pain seems flatly wrong from a physics standpoint.

Basically stopping power is anything that stops them from doing what they are doing. Any shot directly into the heart or brain will more than likely stop the person. However, a .45 to the heart will top that heart a bit faster than a .22 because it will take a chunk out of the heart rather than putting a little hole in it and waiting for it to bleed out. Thus the .45 has more stopping power. A lot more pain and usually damage involved with something like a .45. When you look at a .22 though, it has the tendency to not stop moving in the chest. It just plinks around on all kinds of bones and then makes a lot of damage that way. A bullet can kill no matter what it is. Plain and simple.

Red lets put it this way it would take a perfect shot with a .22lr to stop someone with one shot. With a larger bullet the odds are better for a one shot stop. I am not saying one shot with the guy flying backwards. just saying one shot from a 9mm,.40, or .45 has a much greater chance of enough damage to stop someone with one shot. Now a 12ga with 00 buck in a 3 inch mag might stop someone in there tracks as in no more foward motion.

I have an xd .45, I love it. It has the 1911 style safety on the back. The glock style trigger safety. A grip that's perfect for large hands but not too big for small hands. An ambidextrous mag release. The firing pin pokes out the back so you can check to see if its cocked by sight or touch. Same with the indicator that shows if a round is in the chamber that sticks out the top of the slide. It is light weight for its size. Has a rail to mount stuff on. I attached a glock light/laser to mine for when I don't use it as my carry gun. Mine came with a thumb saver loader, 2mags w/ holster, a holster and a cable lock for child safety. I have had it 4 or 5 years now without a single problem. It's design is great for point and shoot style shooting. I often carry mine or its my #2 home defence gun (second to my 870).

Down side is .45 ammo is becoming pricey.

A quality self-defense round will expand upon impact' date=' causing a greater percussion to the body and internal organs.

A good example, since you mention physics, would be to poke your wife in the chest with your index finger, then punch her in the chest with a closed fist at the same speed. Not exactly a perfect experiment, but it is a fair illustration.

The slower and fatter the round, the more damage it will do the the target. You don't want to "pierce" the target. You want to blow what's inside of it to hell and back, while keeping the penetration only on one side.... the side you fire at.

This is for home defense, like you asked for.[/quote']

Basically stopping power is anything that stops them from doing what they are doing. Any shot directly into the heart or brain will more than likely stop the person. However, a .45 to the heart will top that heart a bit faster than a .22 because it will take a chunk out of the heart rather than putting a little hole in it and waiting for it to bleed out. Thus the .45 has more stopping power. A lot more pain and usually damage involved with something like a .45. When you look at a .22 though, it has the tendency to not stop moving in the chest. It just plinks around on all kinds of bones and then makes a lot of damage that way. A bullet can kill no matter what it is. Plain and simple.
Red lets put it this way it would take a perfect shot with a .22lr to stop someone with one shot. With a larger bullet the odds are better for a one shot stop. I am not saying one shot with the guy flying backwards. just saying one shot from a 9mm,.40, or .45 has a much greater chance of enough damage to stop someone with one shot. Now a 12ga with 00 buck in a 3 inch mag might stop someone in there tracks as in no more foward motion.

You guys all said it better than me. I couldn't formulate my thought enough for a good answer but yes, you are correct.

A quality self-defense round will expand upon impact' date=' causing a greater percussion to the body and internal organs.

[b']A good example, since you mention physics, would be to poke your wife in the chest with your index finger, then punch her in the chest with a closed fist at the same speed. Not exactly a perfect experiment, but it is a fair illustration.

The slower and fatter the round, the more damage it will do the the target. You don't want to "pierce" the target. You want to blow what's inside of it to hell and back, while keeping the penetration only on one side.... the side you fire at.

This is for home defense, like you asked for.

perfectly put.

in the red.... when he first posted his question i was poking my dog in the forehead then with a fist lightly bumping her head while she slept and trying to think how i could put that to understandable words :lol:

perfectly put.

in the red.... when he first posted his question i was poking my dog in the forehead then with a fist lightly bumping her head while she slept and trying to think how i could put that to understandable words :lol:

Ha ha ha ha. I managed to picture this happening. And then I looked at my sleeping dogs and started pondering. ha ha ha

care to elaborate?

My point was really to get some clarification about what people really meant by "stopping power."

the notion that a bullet will knock someone over or somehow impede their forward progress for any reason beyond pain seems flatly wrong from a physics standpoint.

It has nothing to do with physically stopping the momentum of a moving mass, it is complete incapacitation of the target via major internal damage. Here's a read for you on the problems with projectiles that "pierce":

http://www.texassmallarmsresearch.com/TechInfo/556Performance/556Performance.pdf

Pages 3 and 16 make the main point

Edited by brn6604

A good example, since you mention physics, would be to poke your wife in the chest with your index finger, then punch her in the chest with a closed fist at the same speed. Not exactly a perfect experiment, but it is a fair illustration.

This is for home defense, like you asked for.[/quote']You should be a teacher, the kids would love your power point slides. :)

It has nothing to do with physically stopping the momentum of a moving mass, it is complete incapacitation of the target via major internal damage. Here's a read for you on the problems with projectiles that "pierce":

http://www.texassmallarmsresearch.com/TechInfo/556Performance/556Performance.pdf

Pages 3 and 16 make the main point

thanks - and that makes more sense. If the round tumbles after entering the target, I can see how that, combined with additional mass would cause a lot more impact than a bullet that simply pierces.

so now I want 3 guns instead of one :( should probably still stick with a shotgun as my first firearm, but a .22 will definitely be on the list.

Tpoppa's revolver is still an option I'm considering... 9" barrel means I won't have many excuses for not being accurate though :p

.17 is a little nasty fast round like a .22 on roids it is rimfire not much knock down, but will take any small game and shoot very flat. The .243 is a hunting round could be used on anything from groundhogs up to deer (or zombies), it is a centerfire rifle round. And the two shotgun barrels are 20, 12ga multi use barrels also a center fire type round.

Draw backs are slow rate of fire, lower end brand. About all I can think of. They are very easy to clean as the gun comes apart very fast/easy. Ease of use, pull the hammer back and you are good to go. They have a hammer block when the safety is on so the hammer can not slip and hit the firing pin. I have a youth set for my boys with the 22lr and 20ga setup. It shoots very well for the price of the gun.

the single-shot thing kind of sucks, and the lightness of the gun means that a 12 gauge is going to kick like hell, no?

but the versatility might just be worth it... the wife said one firearm; she didn't say anything about having 10 different barrels :D

are these strictly designed as "youth" guns, or could I take one to the range without being mocked too mercilessly?

They make for a good starter gun as you can have multipal calibers with one "gun", Also the cost is not to high, It would be a good starting point for someone who has never owned a gun, or has little experience shooting one. They shoot quicker then most bolt actions I have used, as long as you have your round out of the box where you can grab them.

They make for a good starter gun as you can have multipal calibers with one "gun", Also the cost is not to high, It would be a good starting point for someone who has never owned a gun, or has little experience shooting one. They shoot quicker then most bolt actions I have used, as long as you have your round out of the box where you can grab them.

this sounds just about perfect. .22 for plinking around, 12ga for home defense or shooting clays, and then something in between for when the zombies come :) (something legal to hunt with if i wanted, so 243 is probably out...)