hand gun v. shotgun v. rifle

redkow97

Last time i went to stonewall with the shotgun it was $20 an hour.

There is a brand called Pardner, it is a clone of a Remington 870, around $200.

Remington has produced literally 10 million 870 shotguns, so i am just about any place would have a used 870.

I started the addiction, err hobby, at the beginning of the year and have 3 firearms. My first purchase was a remington 870 12 gauge home defense with the 2 round extention. I payed way too much for it ( $425) but wanted one, so i got it. Since it only has an 18 inch barrel, i am not sure it would work out too well skeet shooting, so i will pick another 870 for skeet and hunting.

^ My cousin's and LEO and he pointed me at the NEF/H&R "pardner" when I started looking last year. ~$220 new at sporting goods stores for the 18.5" version.

It's a part-for-part copy of the remington 870 with few exceptions. What I liked about it was that you could use most 870 accessories.

Speedy - if I can find time, I'll PM you. I'll be at school some of the day tomorrow, and at Cedar Point on Sunday. Would you be available Saturday? I wouldn't cry if we went during the buckeyes game, but I understand if you want to see it.

Hi-point doesnt make a .38

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, because I'm relatively uneducated regarding firearms, but what's this? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/227/products_id/48311

isn't the only difference rim-fire v. center-fire?

I count it as the "same" ammo even if they're not interchangeable rounds...

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, because I'm relatively uneducated regarding firearms, but what's this? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/227/products_id/48311

isn't the only difference rim-fire v. center-fire?

I count it as the "same" ammo even if they're not interchangeable rounds...

Thats a .380 very different round.

I've actually considered a revolver due to the simplicity of the design.

as a home defense weapon, you have to leave it loaded so it's ready any time. I'm sure I'm not hte first person to think, "isn't leaving the spring compressed in the magazine all the time kind of a bad idea?"

a revolver has no such issue, but I have been led to believe that rimfire ammo is less reliable.

six of one, 1/2 dozen of another?

yeah, i think i'm sold on the shotgun, as much as the wife will hate it, I think she'll hateit more if I shoot through our wall and kill a neighbor while defending us...

So 12 gauge it is.

now what ammo do I use? I'd like to play with slugs in someone's back yard, but i'm seeing 8 pellet, 9 pellet, 27 pellet, etc. cartridges, and I have no idea what I want for home defense, clays, etc.

I wouldn't get a Hi-Point for a cheap pistol, there are a lot of other options out there that are reasonably priced like a Ruger LCP or a Kel-Tec (I have a p32 and love it). For home defense I would go with pump action 12 or 20 gauge.. Think about it like this, alot of the time break ins occur at night which means your aim isn't the best from just waking up and being in the dark making the scatter of a shotgun much more effective than the more precision shooting of a small caliber pistol unless you have laser sights which will bump it out of your price range anyway. If you are planning on shooting skeet or sporting clays you can use a 20 gauge just fine with or without choke tubes (I even shoot 28 gauge sometimes just for the fun of it), but for shooting trap you would want the 12.

Edited by drew95gt

Just want to add, a shot gun is not a point in his direction and you can't miss, type of weapon. It still needs to be aimed. At close range like in your home, you will only have a shot pattern of about 1 to 5 inches. Shot patterns will increase the farther away the target is.

I've got a High Point and have yet to have a problem with it. Also made here in Ohio with a lifetime warranty.

Never owned one personally, thought about buying one but was convinced otherwise by my dad. He had his dealers license for years and sold many guns so I took his word on it. Can't beat the lifetime warranty on it though. Looking through the Hi-Point forums I did see a bit of FTF talk not sure if it was the ammo or gun but I wouldn't want that to be an issue in a life or death situation. I would own one in a heartbeat to go out and just play around with though.

Just want to add, a shot gun is not a point in his direction and you can't miss, type of weapon. It still needs to be aimed. At close range like in your home, you will only have a shot pattern of about 1 to 5 inches. Shot patterns will increase the farther away the target is.

Very true, but he was talking about a .380 for home defense...I would much rather have a 5 inch shot pattern than a .380 round for home defense purposes. My point was that with the .380 you would have to have a more strategically placed shot to bring the perp down where as with the shotgun you could hit him about anywhere in the upper half of the body and he is going down. I wasn't really going for the aiming vs. pointing thing, but you do make a good point.

Very true, but he was talking about a .380 for home defense...I would much rather have a 5 inch shot pattern than a .380 round for home defense purposes. My point was that with the .380 you would have to have a more strategically placed shot to bring the perp down where as with the shotgun you could hit him about anywhere in the upper half of the body and he is going down. I wasn't really going for the aiming vs. pointing thing, but you do make a good point.

No, you are totally correct about .380 vs 12ga. Just didn't want anyone thinking using a shot gun is a 100% guarantee you hit the target.

No, you are totally correct about .380 vs 12ga. Just didn't want anyone thinking using a shot gun is a 100% guarantee you hit the target.

Both you guys make valid points but don't forget the pucker factor of the business end of a 12 gauge vs a .380.

I still prefer the blaze of glory way, Imma come out of the bedroom with and XDM 40 in each hand and let the lead fly. I got 40 chances of hitting somthing. :D

That's only if they make it past the claymores lined along the perimeter.