hand gun v. shotgun v. rifle

redkow97

I as well as most others here know that gun shops, LE and military all allow morons in their ranks. If they didn't they'd be in violation of the EOE laws. ;)

I resemble that comment. :lol:

you better bring your A game because there will be 20-30 damn good shooters here.

:werd:

Don't lie, clays was the best you did. And that wasnt great. :)

Bring that pistol over now I'm home. We'll shoot and you can get your box of awesome that I'm holding for you.

I'm not gonna lie I was nervous as hell. After I got settled in and my timing down I was right up there close to ben. I had 7 or 8 then josh fucked me with a broken one and thew off my next shot. I have never shot in front of that big of a crowd before lol.

I'm not gonna lie I was nervous as hell. After I got settled in and my timing down I was right up there close to ben. I had 7 or 8 then josh fucked me with a broken one and thew off my next shot. I have never shot in front of that big of a crowd before lol.

Don't blame me, you should have been able to hit that. lol

You're actually on the anytime list bish, you know that.

:banana: I know this. :D

Lol! I really didn't shoot much honestly I just talked with everyone. If we had more fresh targets I prob would have. I could never tell where I was hitting lol

Very true. That's why I kept hitting the steel. At least you could hear when you hit.

22's have no knock down power.

I've heard this a lot, and I understand the basic principle that bigger bullet makes a bigger hole, but bullets are explicitly designed to PIERCE, not knock people down.

a rubber bullet or bean-bag is designed to knock people down by being blunt; as in the opposite of sharp (like a bullet).

So when people are making claims about "knock down" and "stopping" power, I assume they really mean "immediate and obvious pain."

A .45 inflicts more immediate and obvious pain than a .22? - I'll buy that, but my suspicion is that if I were to shoot someone with a .22, they wouldn't be sticking around to find out if the second shot tickled.

Now that said, I do believe that an armed home intruder IS likely to have something larger than a .22, and being out-gunned is never ideal. If someone's breaking in JUST to cause me harm (and not for their own personal financial gain), then the benefits of having a larger caliber round at your disposal make more sense - but I think that will rarely be the case.

I've heard this a lot, and I understand the basic principle that bigger bullet makes a bigger hole, but bullets are explicitly designed to PIERCE, not knock people down.

a rubber bullet or bean-bag is designed to knock people down by being blunt; as in the opposite of sharp (like a bullet).

So when people are making claims about "knock down" and "stopping" power, I assume they really mean "immediate and obvious pain."

A .45 inflicts more immediate and obvious pain than a .22? - I'll buy that, but my suspicion is that if I were to shoot someone with a .22, they wouldn't be sticking around to find out if the second shot tickled.

Now that said, I do believe that an armed home intruder IS likely to have something larger than a .22, and being out-gunned is never ideal. If someone's breaking in JUST to cause me harm (and not for their own personal financial gain), then the benefits of having a larger caliber round at your disposal make more sense - but I think that will rarely be the case.

Almost everything you said in this post is wrong.

here is a decent article... http://www.chuckhawks.com/beginners_stopping_power.htm .

its not all about pain its about how the bullet reacts when it hits its target. i prefer the nornady ftx critical defense ammo. its designed to puncture through thick materials like denim and then spread out for more of an impact.

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense/

Edited by kawi kid

Went shooting today(half day of work) was looking at some wheel guns for summer carry. I like my xd but it would be nice to have a wheel gun I could drop in my pocket and go. Liked the ruger lcr and the smith bodyguard 38. Smith has a built in laser which was kinda cool. Both very light, the ruger has a recoil shock dampner in the grip which would be nice. Both were not to bad in price and this was at stonewall, so better prices are easy to find. I liked the smith has a cylinder release behind the rear site not on the side(left handed here) so the controls were better for me to use.

Edited by speedytriple

So this got me thinking, in pistols that can be either 9mm, 40 or 45, do you go for the more capacity with the 9mm, a few less with the 40 or even more less with 45. From Sig's website = (9mm) 17 Rounds, (.357 SIG,.40 S&W) 14 Rounds, (.45ACP) 10 Rounds

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=54&productid=66

I am leaning towards some some type of semi auto pistol, either in 9mm or 40.