heated grips

oldschoolsdime92

As the weather is getting cooler, I have decided im not putting my bike away this year. I just purchased a set of heated grips.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5220

Has anyone used these? Any thoughts or oppinions or things I should watch for upon installation?

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

I installed Hot Grips brand on my V-Strom. These are similar to the Oxfords. Installation was very easy. The hardest part was getting the old grips off. Some grips will come off with WD-40 and a thin screwdriver. Mine were glued on and had to be heated and eventually cut off. I used Posi-Lock connectors because I am a lousy solderer. I also used a rotary variable switch, rather than the three position switch. Works great.

I couldn't ever decide. But found simple motorcycle gloves that are so warm I don't need heated grips. For me, I'd probably get those Oxford hot hands that velcro onto the grips on those few occasions I'd really want the extra heat.

temperature.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

I couldn't ever decide. But found simple motorcycle gloves that are so warm I don't need heated grips. For me, I'd probably get those Oxford hot hands that velcro onto the grips on those few occasions I'd really want the extra heat.

temperature.jpg

this...nice gloves will keep you warm

had a set of gloves i got at pony, they cost like 45 or 50 bucks i dont remember....leather, real soft inside..

me and derek went riding on quads when it was -5 degrees, 3 days in a row - my hands were dripping with sweat after an hour of riding....after having those nice gloves, ill never see a need for heated grips

what gloves? All I see is an X. =P i think a nice pair of gloves in conjunction with my heated grips will be nice on the long cold rides.

It was a pic of Hot Hands grip covers. And it vanished, I can't see it either, nor can I edit it. I found Chinese-made Winter motorcycle gloves at the old YOC. It was the only brand/type they had, so I asked what the deal was, did they really work? The guy said yes they do. And yes they did.

edit: There's only 3 gloves at Iron Pony listed as Winter.

Field Sheer Pokerun Winter Long textile 53.99

Field Sheer Pokerun Winter Long leather 76.99

TourMaster Winter Elite 99.99

Edited by ReconRat

I have some real heavy gloves that work fine for must riding but in the 30's at freeway speeds for an hour = hands too cold to operate the bike safely.

I just ordered a set of these grips for my bike as I'm hoping to bike it as much as possible over winter. 40 mins at 65 mph

thats slightly interesting. I'd say it would stop any wind that may get through your gloves but, i don't know that it would work for along time.

i think it stops the air yes, but also creates another layer. i know when i'm working on the bike and i wear them my hands get sweaty. who knows.... might be worth a shot.

For dual sport riding the heated grips are great and the addition of ATV covers like these makes high speed riding for long distances possible.

winterhandcovers.jpg

These are the best covers I've found for the price. About $30 at Iron Pony in the ATV area, Ducks unlimited brand, don't collapse when you pull your hands out like some others do.

Edited by buildit

heat demons are another good choice for grip heaters. BMW have some killer winter riding gloves. In hindsight, I would have gone with the Oxford over grips rather than actual heated grips, gives you more options for grip styles.

OF694.gif

Edited by AOW

As the weather is getting cooler, I have decided im not putting my bike away this year. I just purchased a set of heated grips.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5220

Has anyone used these? Any thoughts or oppinions or things I should watch for upon installation?

Great grips have them on my Strom been working 100% for 3 years. I'm comfy down to the 10-15 degree mark on high. When I put them on the first time I used grip glue - mistake. Within a month the throttle side had walked a bit and slipped around.

Make sure you use a PERMANENT glue/adhesive. They are a nightmare to get off without destroying them, so if you use something that lets them slip, they're pretty much wrecked. The problem with them slipping is the wire housing will turn and interfere with the levers or throttle operation.

I got a new set of grips, and used clear coat spray paint to mount them, and they've not budged. Should have done that from the get go, but they are great heated grips and a slick package.

if i had a d.s i would be all over those! I don't think they would work on my sprint. I suppose if some nice gloves and heated grips and heated vest end up not being warm enough, its time to put the bike up

You might be surprised, I use them on the strom and they come in black so you don't have to look camo.:rolleyes: But if you decide you'd like to try before you by let me know and you can stop by on the bike and give them a try.