Das Bimmer is totaled...

Flying Brick

I was taken out by a taxi making a left turn as I was coming home from work the night of the 3rd. I don't know if they didn't see me or just hate motorcycles, because they drove off. Did about $8k in damage, as I was going 45mph. I slid across 3 lanes into a ditch; ATGATT saved my life. Only damage to me was a bruised hip and a really sore shoulder.

DSC05616.JPG

The icing on the cake was that it happened the night before the_silverfox and I were leaving for Chicago to get married. So we had to ride 2-up on her bike and pull the mini trailer. If anyone sees a blue and white taxi with a giant dent and a missing hubcap, please punch them in the face for me.

I was taken out by a taxi making a left turn as I was coming home from work the night of the 3rd. I don't know if they didn't see me or just hate motorcycles, because they drove off. Did about $8k in damage, as I was going 45mph. I slid across 3 lanes into a ditch; ATGATT saved my life. Only damage to me was a bruised hip and a really sore shoulder.

The icing on the cake was that it happened the night before the_silverfox and I were leaving for Chicago to get married. So we had to ride 2-up on her bike and pull the mini trailer. If anyone sees a blue and white taxi with a giant dent and a missing hubcap, please punch them in the face for me.

In bold. CONGRATS!

Sorry to hear about the taxi taking you out, glad all is well with that, as well.

Does the taxi company not have the ability to tell where its taxis were? They should be able to narrow it down, then look for the one with red paint in it...

It's stories like that made me install a dashcam in my car. I also installed one on my bike.

why did you have to 2 up? your info thing says you have 2 more bikes

congrats on wedding

I couldn't ride there because of my shoulder. I was able to ride part of the way back on Friday. Even if I was fine, the Z1000 is a bit rough to ride to Chicago and the Honda tops out at 37mph.

DSC05616.JPG

Did you see which taxi company, or do you remember the color of the cab?

I know it was Blue Cab. But because I didn't get the plate number, there's not much I can do. At least that's what insurance and a lawyer told me.

What side would his damage be on. I know you said that it was turning left, but was it front, side, or rear damage.

If you have some of the broken bits then can you go to the taxi company and match them up with any taxi with matching damage? Probably too late now - they would have fixed the damage quietly already.

Any businesses or homes in that area that might have CCTV aimed at the intersection? There's a Huntington bank on the west side of that street, no?

How many cars does Blue Cab have? If it's ~200 then you're SOL, but if it's more like 5 then they should be able to allow an inspection of the vehicles...

Do they run the taxis all night or can you go there after dark and see if they have a damaged one in there.

I don't understand why the insurace/lawyer say you can't go after the company itself - the cars will be insurred (or self-insured) by the same entity, so does it matter exactly which one did the damage? File suit and let them produce all their cars undamaged...

Edited by Scruit

If you have some of the broken bits then can you go to the taxi company and match them up with any taxi with matching damage? Probably too late now - they would have fixed the damage quietly already.

Any businesses or homes in that area that might have CCTV aimed at the intersection? There's a Huntington bank on the west side of that street, no?

How many cars does Blue Cab have? If it's ~200 then you're SOL, but if it's more like 5 then they should be able to allow an inspection of the vehicles...

Do they run the taxis all night or can you go there after dark and see if they have a damaged one in there.

I don't understand why the insurace/lawyer say you can't go after the company itself - the cars will be insurred (or self-insured) by the same entity, so does it matter exactly which one did the damage? File suit and let them produce all their cars undamaged...

I had the same thoughts. Lawyer said it would just get thrown out. The police said the driver would likely get it repaired by a shady bodyshop. Insurance said without getting a plate number, there is not much I can do. Had I not left for my wedding, I might have stormed in there. The only piece of the car I have is the wheel cover, the VIN isn't on that for sure.

Sorry to hear.

Next time you talk to anyone in a position of legal knowledge, as them if helmet-cam footage of the accident would have chnged the outcome, even if the cab # is not captured.

A video would absolutley prove that the accident involved a blue cab. In your situation it's your word against them and if they cover it up then you can't even prove the Blue Cab was there.