Any Old Skool Suzuki Mechanics Out There?

Jcarlson

Specifically for an 82 GS450LZ. I'm having an issue with my clutch. Just sitting still, (engine on or off it doesn't matter), when you pull and release the clutch it's not a smooth release. It releases in a jerky motion.

When starting out in 1st gear, you have to let it out about 1/2 way before you hit the friction point but then it grabs and you take off in a shot if you're not careful. You have to ride the clutch a bit to take off. Once up and running it shifts just fine, it's just when starting out from a stop.

I had the spocket cover open yesterday, and I think the PO rode this thing through a mulch bed or something because it was packed with debris. The release flapper thing that pushes the push rod in/out was pretty crusty too and I cleaned it as best I could with GUNK as best I could. I sprayed GUNK over everything I could get it on and cleaned a bunch of crap off.

With the cover open I pulled the handle and it moved in a smooth transition. Obviously this will happen because there is no resistance from the clutch, but I think this eliminates a bad clutch cable. I replaced the cover and it seemed to release "better" but after a while it started acting up again.

Got any clues as to where the issue might be? Does the release flapper thing need to be lubed something? Should I replace it first before the clutch? Do I need to replace the clutch?

Anything you have to offer would be a HUGE help.

Thanks

Jim

You were in the right area. Generally, with the old push rod type release, it is the Release Screw Assy mechanism that wears out and gets "notchy". This will cause a grab or hesitation near full release. Replace it. While in there, remove and check closely the other associated parts. Don't break anything, some of these parts are discontinued and will be hard to find new or used.

24 SKU: 23200-44100 SCREW ASSY, RELEASE Includes Item(s) 25 - 26 1 $32.35

http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/parts.aspx

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/SUZ/2/02/57/0016.Gif

edit: If the push rod is exposed at all to the chain, make sure it hasn't ever been hit by the chain and damaged.

Same for any part where the chain could hit if it stretched or broke in the past.

One more thing. I didn't see an LZ model, I saw a 450L and a 450EZ, but no 450LZ. I think it's all the same part, but make sure you get the right one.

Edited by ReconRat

Hey Tom, thanks for chiming in. Yeah, it's a 450L when you look at the fische but the Z is just a modle code. If you look at the fische for things like the gas tank it says model Z or Model T, things like that. That's why I included the Z.

Anyway, what you're saying sounds like we hit the nail on the head. The fische on Babbitsonline says that whole assembly is still available so I think I'll pick one up and see what happens.

Thanks again

Jim