I'm starting to research...

RSparky

Sparky - you're on a 650, so I assume that's a 160 rear - As such, your options will be slightly less expansive than those looking for a 180 or 190.

If you're a michelin guy, go with the 'regular' pilot powers. I used those on my F2 well into "I" group with NESBA, and there are plenty of STT coaches who ride them in Advanced; especially the rear, to save cash.

As others have said, DO NOT ride the track on a plugged tire. It sucks to shell out money for a new tire, but it sucks more to have tire failure be the reason you crash.

As I implied above, "middle-ground" tires aren't easy to find in 160 rear sizes; at least they weren't when I had my F2... You're likely going to be choosing between sport oriented street tires, or DOT race tires. There were no "trackday/street" tires in the 160 size a couple years ago. That MAY have changed since then though.

There are 2 schools of thought with tire purchases:

1) "buy the stickiest tire you can afford - it might save your ass (and your bike) if you do something dumb."

2) "only buy a tire you're actually going to use to ~80% of it's potential. Relying on the tires to bail you out of trouble allows you to form bad riding habits, and as a track newb, you probably won't have the speed to keep DOT race tires hot enough to work well anyway."

I fall into the second camp. I don't believe tires have ever CAUSED or even ALLOWED anyone to crash. Learning to feel feedback from tires is an important skill, and one I prefer to learn at a beginner/intermediate pace rather than buying super sticky rubber and masking the feedback until I'm at an even faster pace.

It's also important to remember that spending $40-$60 to have your suspension properly set up can improve EVERY tire's ability to provide grip, and likely makes them wear slower and more evenly as well. So a one-time suspension setup can probably do more for you than spending $60 more on EVERY set of tires.

it's the off-season, so PM me (or others here) if you have specific questions; and don't take any one person's advice as gospel (except for riding on the plugged tire - don't do that).

Everyone's situation is different. Bike, budget, goals, etc. all determine what's best for you.

My suspension isn't very customizable I believe... The rear has a 'preload' setting, but 'sides that, I doubt I can get far.

Would be nice though. I feel as though putting the front down just a tad would make it (feel) much safer in corners..

As far as tires go... Now I'm second guessing the PP. As I do a ton of highway miles. 50 a day average. That's why i got the 2 compound tires.

Is there a usable 2 comp. tire that will be sticky enough, but not need warmed up?

:wtf: That's a pretty specific set of tires right there. Oh yah, then I'll have to make sure I can get one to fit my skinny rim.

Side note: Aren't skinny tires better? Less stable, but easier to bank, yes? So, why do RRs have fatter tires?

Edit: Nvmd. Grip area. ghey.

Edited by RSparky