I'm starting to research...

RSparky

It's confirmed with the lady, and as a matter of fact, she's going to buy my first track day for me... :D

So, as I am a total newb to track riding, I'm starting my research now. Seems like NESBA has a more beginner friendly system than STT. Not to mention that you don't have to pay to look at their events.

Prices don't seem half bad, but I'm a little confused as to the frequency of track days offered at Mid-Ohio. I know the track is wanted by car racers, and other training classes, but that still seems like a pretty slim schedule. The mid-ohio site wasn't any help either.

Guess I'll just have to check back sooner to the start of next season to find a better schedule.

I'm sure some of you guys are very familiar with tracks and whatnot. How do I go about finding a good price and a quality day?

:stupid:

Actually I would disagree, I think STT has a better beginner program, I am sure Hoblick can testify to this case.

As far as schedule you are going to have to wait till the end of the year/ beginning of 2011 before you see schedules released.

Mid-Ohio runs their own show, and will be about $195 for a novice track day. Depending on how much you are willing to travel their are other tracks within a couple of hours drive. Putnam, Grattan, Beaver Run are all great tracks. Nelson is a little bumpy but it isn't terrible like people try to make it out.

You can expect to spend at least $150 for a track day in the peak riding season.

STT has a more conservative novice program; for most people that is better for their first time on track.

But after 1 or 2 trackday, STT's novice program is painfully restrictive; thus why their intermediate group is full of people who are slow, but think they're fast enough for Intermediate.

NESBA's beginner group is a bit like being thrown into a shark tank. STT says "this is what you should do: this is the gas, and this is the brake..." NESBA says, "let's see what you can do. Don't crash showing us."

BeaveRun is the best value in trackdays in the area. Putnam Park isn't far behind. They're not world-class layouts liek Mid-Ohio, but they're $155-$165/day instead of $195, and the track surface on both is decent (even in the rain).

STT has a more conservative novice program; for most people that is better for their first time on track.

But after 1 or 2 trackday, STT's novice program is painfully restrictive; thus why their intermediate group is full of people who are slow, but think they're fast enough for Intermediate.

Big Plus one. I know from experience. I end up doing more STT events since when I was in Michigan, Grattan and Gingerman were the closest venues and mostly run by STT.

So it really depends on what you want. more one on one or more free time. I will say that I never had a coach at a NESBA event give me tips or ask me to follow unless I asked. And once I did ask and he never showed up?

STT coaches tend to "do their job" and tap their tail for me to follow when I need better lines.

Either way, welcome to the addiction.

like many people, i've ridden with fasttrax (now motoseries), stt, and nesba. your first novice day should be with STT or the Mid ohio school (since mid ohio pretty much copy-pasta'd STT's program).

depending on what kind of rider you are, fasttrax/motoseries is even a bit TOO conservative. STT and Midohio school seems to get students in novice up to their capacity (mostly safely) pretty quickly. Nesba was pretty hardcore, comparatively. I definitely recommend them once you are comfortable on the track and want to progress quickly.

if you end up doing an STT day, and you get Craig as your instructor, he rewards people who kick him square in the nuts.

Agree with everything everyone said so far... NESBA B is a little chaotic for your first track day, STT's Novice program is excellent, Midohio copies it, FastTrax/Motoseries Instructional group is even more conservative. Next year's schedules won't be out until January or so, plenty of time to plan for the first April trackdays in this region.

If NESBA is what fits your schedule though by all means go for it, you just need to keep yourself in check a bit before you get up to speed. Of course they cater to first time riders like any other org, my opinions above are just based on my personal comfort level back when I was a white-knuckle novice. Five years ago I went from my first day with Fasttrax where we didn't use the brakes all day to the next weekend with NESBA where I'm getting my doors blown off at triple digit speeds into turn 1. I then did four days in Novice with STT where we got up to some pretty good speed in the follow-the-leader format before I was really comfortable in an "Open" format. I'm a pretty slow learner, but I also had wheel-to-wheel racing experience in cars on some of these tracks before I ever took a motorcycle on them.

I also don't mean to dis FastTrax as being too conservative, the cornering skills I learned in that one day were priceless - had I started in the WOT 'til you see god then brake mode, I'd probably be way behind where I'm at today.

this past year was my first year doing track days..

that being said.. my first track day was with Nesba.. it was intimidating as hell, no real instructions, the skill level in Beginner group was anywhere from never ridden on a track to i should be in intermidiate but dont want to bump up.

so being a first time track rider, getting used to the track was one thing, then trying to do that, learn my lines, learn technique, and deal with guys far more advanced than me blowing buy you, and dealing with people who thing they are advanced riders thhat cant hold a line worth shit.. add that in with little instruction.. it made for a hectic day.. ?

2nd track day was with STT.. WOW the instructors were great, they beginner class setup was awesome! you do about a 3/4 of the day jsut focusing on things you need to know, your line, your body position, braking, throttle control etc.. step by step, every time out to the track you learned something different.. and they put people in several different groups for your comfort level, and you can move up within those groups as you feel suited. the last part of the day was pretty much open.. just do what you wanna do... they will keep you in line were need be.

i definately improved 10 fold after 1 STT track day.. and was a hell of alot more confident!

now i still am rocking in B class, but when i do a track day i prefer to do a NESBA day cause its more open, and im more comfortable, and im a bit faster, i can hold my lines, and i have some experience...

for a first time track rider i would definately say STT for sure.. after that... whatever suit your needs.

but like everyone else says.. open your wallet, get another job, etc etc..

its expensive! most fun i have ever had on a bike bar none. and the biggest improvement to my riding skills ever!

is it worth the money? YES

is it addictive? YES

you honestly will hate riding the street after riding the track

but yes it is expensive.. i dont think i ever spent under $350 anytime i had a track day..

i probably averaged $430

price for the event itself, gas, food, gas in the bike, hotel, etc. etc.

As for cost I've been doing this on the cheap for years, one day trips, only daily cost is entry fee and gas for the pickup. This is why I have yet to take the bike to a track other than Beaverun, Nelson and Midohio - the cost of a one-night stay at a hotel alone is a huge turnoff.

I swear when I was racing cars 10 years ago I used to get rooms for $35/night at a Motel 6 or Super 8 or something. Now it seems like cheap is $80...

If you're a camper that helps, but this guy needs a bed and a shower if I'm going to ride in the morning.

Edited by brn6604

Ride wherever you can. I ride with Nesba if I have the choice. Nesba doesn't let you choose your group, which means the people in "I" and " actuLly belong there.

I am a fast "I" rider with Nesba and mid pack "A" with STT or Fasttrax.

Thanks for the input! That's why I posted. I'll be looking at STT then. I remember seeing a thread comparing the two a while ago, but couldn't find it.

The STT website is a little bland though... Do I have to wait to pay for a membership until nest year? Then I can look at dates?

As far as money goes, I plan to pinching pennies wherever possible. My Michelin Road 2s should handle just fine in the beginner class. And my brother says he wants to go as well, so we can trailer the bikes.

I feel as though he's gonna get kicked out though lol. He has an old-school Buell that will simply haul balls. He has a hard time keeping the front down around curves on the street, so I know it'll be even harder on the track.

Ride wherever you can. I ride with Nesba if I have the choice. Nesba doesn't let you choose your group, which means the people in "I" and " actuLly belong there.

I am a fast "I" rider with Nesba and mid pack "A" with STT or Fasttrax.

I choose NESBA as well, and for this same reason. People tend to be where they belong with NESBA and where thier ego tells them they belong with STT

I feel as though he's gonna get kicked out though lol. He has an old-school Buell that will simply haul balls. He has a hard time keeping the front down around curves on the street, so I know it'll be even harder on the track.

He lacks throttle control and riding position.

dunno about the plug, but street tires are fine until somewhere in advanced group pace. i mean, i guess it depends on what kind of street tire, but even touring tires are fine til about intermediate? it's not an exact science... if you get too crazy on the throttle mid corner, it won't matter what tires you have.

today's street tires are going to meet your riding needs and then some. i ran normal michelin pilot powers well into Advanced without skipping a beat. it was then when i had faster guys to follow and open track that they started to slip and slide, which could have easily been fixed with a few suspension tweaks.

only real big reason i moved to dot/slicks (with warmers) was so i wouldn't have to wait a lap or two for the tires to warm up, wasted part of my money in a way.

plug in the rear? hellz no.

Hm... They're Michelin Road 2s. Plenty of life left, thus my plug. It seems to hold air perfectly fine, but maybe I'll get a lot of non-snowy riding this winter and have to change it before the track day.

btw, maybe I can coordinate to go when some of you regular track guys go. It'd be cool to meet the riders behind all the damn sex jokes!

i think the tires have to be in certain condition to pass tech. plugs are probably not allowable.

if you don't want to spend all that money, consider buying a set of take offs from one of the racers/track whores on the board. you can usually get a set of very serviceable take offs for like 50~100 that are very sticky and will last you many novice track days. when i first started (and i'm not a good example cause i am not terribly quick) i think i did something like 10~15 track days in novice and intermediate on a set of Corsa III's. after that it went down to 8 days, and then 4 days per set, but you get my point.

If the tech inspector sees you have a plugged rear tire, he probably will not let you on the track at all. The money wasted getting there and your frustration level will be greater than the money you save by not buying a new tire. You can always save the plugged tire and remount it later for street use.

plug in the rear? hellz no.

I'm a stickler about plugs. Many people say they are fine and ride street miles on them. But if you think about the fact that the only thing keepin you up while leaned over is the two small contact patches from your tire...and one of them is defective...

$ for a new tire is cheaper than new plastics and medical bills. just my opinion.

For track days, i wouldn't dream of it.

Outside of the plugs, street tires are what you want imo. As a novice, most people won;t be going fast enough to keep slicks warm enough even with warmers. if anything, your street tires would be stickier at the novice pace. I could see where slicks would be nice for intermediate and advanced though.

Lame... But i understand. What about getting a power pure, or power 1 or whatever it's called? That shouldn't need warmed up, right?

you could but again, it would be over kill. pilot powers, power 2CT's, dunlop Q2's, corsa III, etc etc would be more than capable of getting you well into a advanced group and you can get pilot powers and 2cts and q2's for about $200 a set (not sure how much power ones and pures cost... i'm guessing more).

if you want to be economical about this, here is a scenario... i'll use pilot powers for sake of ease:

pick up a pilot power front from someone for $25~30. more than likely, they will be in excellent shape and will probably last longer than a new rear.

pick up a new pilot power rear for around $110 or so shipped (here, for example: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/6164/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Rear-Tire.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Gbase_6164&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=6164

that's less than $150 for a set of tires that will last you many track days and can still be used on the street AND you don't have to worry about losing grip/traction until you're well into advanced (by stt standards anyway)

Lame... But i understand. What about getting a power pure, or power 1 or whatever it's called? That shouldn't need warmed up, right?

believe me(us), you won't need more than your typical pilot power or of equal value competitor's tire.

to add to the above, a PP will last you quite some time and you can do many sessions on the track and on the street. if you were to get a power pure/1, sure you'd be good to go on the track, but how many highway miles do you do? those tires are medium compound center IIRC and you'll flat spot them in no time and will need to spend more money on another set of tires.

stick with a good lasting street tire, and when you get into the game more and your skill level increases, get yourself a second set of rims and then you can have a dedicated track set of tires.

or 7 sets waiting if you're like me...:)