Harleys to be built in India

YSR_Racer_99

Just like Honda building its US market cars in the US I guess. What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

Now if they shut down US production and start selling India-assembled bikes in the US they need to quit calling themselves an American Icon.

I read that last week on HFL. No only is HD going to build in India, they're also partnering with ATK to bring Korean "starter cruisers" over here to help with their age demographic.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/321/8282/Motorcycle-Article/Can-ATK-Cruisers-Help-Harley-Davidson-.aspx?WT.i_e_dcsvid=1579274495

Harley is either making really smart moves, or really dumb moves. Time will tell.

The US is not a growth market for Harley Davidson. Everybody who has three teeth and can sign their name to a 104month payment plan already has. The Indian economy is all growth though, from the jobs we have sent that way, to a high tech emerging economy.

Setting up a factory there is one of the wisest things HD has done in a while. Seriously, they're still busting out Royal Enfields with little advancement to the 1950's era design. Harley will fit in well.

• Upvote 1

Uh, nothing really shocking... If you guys knew all the companies that actually build bikes in India, you'd be pretty set back. That's both Metric and Euro... Big names, too...

Also, unless you were told (and many are never told even at the dealer level), you wouldn't be able to tell... This isn't China or Korean quality...

The irony (at least for me) is the whole Harley "Made in America" thing. Yeah, I know, brakes are Japanese, this that and the other, but Harley is "The" American motorcycle, right? Not looking to talk about Honda's built here, or any of that. Will the Harley crowd protest, find another brand, keep quiet, or just keep buying every HD t-shirt they can find and putting every variation of the stickers on their back windows?

Not really blaming Obama. Just "interesting" that he's currently spending $2 billion with an entourage of 3,000 people for a ten-day tour of India, reportedly to "help stimulate business for America".

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

Just "interesting" that he's currently spending $2 billion with an entourage of 3,000 people for a ten-day tour of India, reportedly to "help stimulate business for America".

I dont always agree with the guy.. expecially on the socialized health care bill.. but....... on this one..

Myth Busted??? there's no proof either way... but in comparison, its highly inflated numbers

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/05/obama.asia.cost/index.html?iref=allsearch

Edited by Sen10nalz

I dont always agree with the guy.. expecially on the socialized health care bill.. but....... on this one..

Myth Busted??? there's no proof either way... but in comparison, its highly inflated numbers

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/05/obama.asia.cost/index.html?iref=allsearch

Good point. The truth is somewhere in between. What does a room in the Taj Mahal cost?

Back to motorcycles.

^--- hey look, someone sensible that does their research before herp derp'ing up a thread.

Old news kids, been in the works for years, so you might want to look at Dubya for this one. Almost like saying Strickland is responsible for losing 400,000 jobs. It is the CAT tax that your old buddy Bob Taft signed in that is running business out of the state.

The irony (at least for me) is the whole Harley "Made in America" thing. Yeah, I know, brakes are Japanese, this that and the other, but Harley is "The" American motorcycle, right? Not looking to talk about Honda's built here, or any of that. Will the Harley crowd protest, find another brand, keep quiet, or just keep buying every HD t-shirt they can find and putting every variation of the stickers on their back windows?

Not really blaming Obama. Just "interesting" that he's currently spending $2 billion with an entourage of 3,000 people for a ten-day tour of India, reportedly to "help stimulate business for America".

Thing is that you are bringing this up some 12 plus years late. They've been over 80% non American for a LOOOOOONG time. Suspension, carbs, electronics, etc. They make VERY little here. They assemble and pretty much that's it.

Stop the blame BS and let it go. Jobs here in the states that would build these things would raise the costs to unobtainable amounts. Same with tees, textiles, etc. Been that way forever - not just with Obama. He inherited a mess from YEARS of issues. Shit doesn;t happen over night. Easy to blame people and that's what is going on. The cost of a hat made here would be twice the amount it costs overseas. The real question is this - would you pay $50 for a ball cap that you can get for $25?

We as Americans are spoiled. We sit here every day and bitch about how much shit costs at our dealerships. We are programed to pay as little as we can get away with. If we make everything here, it is going to raise the cost of living to heights beyond anything you have ever seen. All I know is that the stuff you have in your house is pretty much from overseas. Look at the clothes and things you own. That made in "another country" isn;t from 4 years ago...

Build them in India. You'd never know. Apparently, you never knew it has been an issue for a long time. But, the whole "jobs lost to overseas" is on everyone's minds and is an easy topic to bring up. Let it go...

A pair of Nike shoes that sell for $95 aren't that expensive due to labour. Vietnam makes them for fractions of that. Having them made domestically wouldn't necessarily double the retail, but double the cost and cut in on profit...

Also, this effort by HD is an attempt to make inroads into the Indain market. That there is growth...