my bike is cold-blooded?

sartorius

Okay, so I got my '06 GS500 earlier this year, and I remember some reviews saying that it's cold-blooded and doesn't like to start when weather gets cooler. I thought "So what? Surely that would only be at very cold temperatures, and it would start eventually. 'Doesn't want' is not the same as 'can't'.".

So, after being out of town for one week and being sick for another week, the thing won't start. It sits outside (apartment complex), and I tried for a while the past few days. Wouldn't start. Today I let it bask in the sunlight until I came home at 5:30pm (about 55 °F). Still no dice.

Is there anything to do? It doesn't look like I'll be able to reliably ride it for the rest of the year, so I guess it's time to put it in storage. Fine idea, but how do I get it there without a trailer? Is there some magical, mysterious way to get it started again even for that short ride?

If it's any help, when I hit the start button I can hear the typical "engine turning"/"start" sound for a split second before it's just a series of clicks.

Thanks folks. I'll either get a charger or try push starting tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, what's the coldest that you expect I can actually keep it outside? One issue would be the coldest it could be expected to start, and the other is that it might damage the battery (http://www.ehow.com/how_4812079_charge-motorcycle-battery.html). It'd be nice to know if I'm jumping the gun on starting winter storage or if I still have time left this year.

Out of curiosity, what's the coldest that you expect I can actually keep it outside?

When I had my apartment, it sat out there on days when it was in the teens but fired right up a couple weeks later when I rode it to store it for the winter.

A fully charged battery is ok outside down to very low temperatures, but a discharged battery is not. Without a charge on the battery, it can be damaged by cold temperatures. Which is why most are taken indoors, or left on a slow charger in the garage during the Winter.

Out of curiosity, what's the coldest that you expect I can actually keep it outside? One issue would be the coldest it could be expected to start, and the other is that it might damage the battery (http://www.ehow.com/how_4812079_charge-motorcycle-battery.html). It'd be nice to know if I'm jumping the gun on starting winter storage or if I still have time left this year.

My poor kz sat outside all last winter.

When it was warm enough it started right up.

picture.php?albumid=473&pictureid=12750&thumb=1