Need tech geek help, gamers too.

MidgetTodd

My daughters beloved Nintendo DS Lite is acting up. The top screen only comes on when you squeeze the back of it just right and this is not really possible to do and play the game at the same time. Unfortunately all her games require both the top and bottom screen.

Sooo I did a quick googly search and this seems to be a common and easily fixed problem "they say". Any of our resident tech geeks fix these and if so when and how much?? I would like to get it fixed for her soon anyone?

If not anyone have a DS Lite they don't use anymore and want to get rid of cheap?

got a link to the fix?
I just googled ds lite top screen and all kinds of stuff came up.
You could probably fix it yourself. It's probably just a loose cable.

I'd make it worse, from the sites I saw looks like the only cable is one of those flat cooper looking ones, that would be broke and not loose right?

Looks like the fix is a screen relacement. But I could be wrong that why I'm asking the experts here.

If all that's involved is ripping it apart and reseating a ribbon cable, I have no problem working that out for you. If you're talking about soldering tiny-ass cables back on something, I'm going to fry the hell out of your circuit board.

I haven't read any of the links on how to fix it, but I have no problem dong smd soldering for you. I have fixed plenty of my electronic devices doing that and have also replaced screens on friends' ipods (I cannot repair ribbon cables if they split/break in the middle though). If you decide whats wrong or want to me figure it out, I can probably help. BTW, the only way you will be able to figure out what is wrong is to open it up, otherwise its just a guess.

I took it completely apart, looked closely for somthing wrong, drank a Dew and pondered why I found nothing that looked wrong, cussed it twice, theatened it one, put it back together and walked away pissed.

Went to the man cave to paint a part for Kims bike and when I came back in the house Lexi was on the couch playing it and said thanx daddy you fixed it. :dunno: I guess I scared it cause I didnt do anything else.

I took it completely apart, looked closely for somthing wrong, drank a Dew and pondered why I found nothing that looked wrong, cussed it twice, theatened it one, put it back together and walked away pissed.

Went to the man cave to paint a part for Kims bike and when I came back in the house Lexi was on the couch playing it and said thanx daddy you fixed it. :dunno: I guess I scared it cause I didnt do anything else.

More likely you reseated one of the ribbon cables, I've had to do that a few times on people's laptops that they thrash around.

More likely you reseated one of the ribbon cables, I've had to do that a few times on people's laptops that they thrash around.

Yea, something was probably coming loose and it got slid back in when you were putting it back together. Nice job!

There is a tiny ribbon cable inside that goes through the hinge on the left side. It is only seated by a flimsy little clip (that if you push down to hard will break the ribbon cable - done it). Between your issue and breaking hinges those are the two biggest issues I have seen. It it happens again or the cable or something goes bad let me know, I have fixed a few of them and have some spare parts lying around if needed.