Looking for another gun....

|SnOmAn|

Well, I figured I would throw this out there. I am looking for another gun, and thought I'd see your thoughts. I want a 380 I can carry. I know a 380 is not much but I think I would feel more comfortable carrying a small frame gun. I almost bought a Ruger LCP last week but felt like I needed to look around. So, I was just looking and Vances has the new S&W Bodyguard. It it small in size and has an integrated laser. It is on sale for the same price as the Ruger LCP, $350... The Bodyguard is origianlly priced at $499, I believe. I am at a loss right now.

Both the LCP and Bodyguard have great reviews. There's lots of people on here that prefer one over another. All preference really. See if you can get your hands on one and shoot it.

On a side note, you talking about winter and guns, remember winter clothing usually allows you to carry a larger caliber. I know a few people that will carry a .45 during the winter and a .380 during the summer. I just stick with a .45 year round. (I'm not gonna mention M&P simply because I just don't care tonight)

I've been reading reviews and a lot of people think the LCP is more accurate. I know that either one will be great, but just not sure. I was looking at the Crimson Trace lasers and they are very pricey too. Just throwing that in there. I do like their method of the button though.

I know you are looking at auto's, or least the thread seamed to point that way. Just as the flip side of the coin, don't pass over the revolvers. I have a Smith 340PD. It is the J-frame hammerless that they make in the Scandium alloy frame. Certainly on the more expensive side but it does give you the option to carry 38's or 357mag. It weighs 12 ounces so it is nice and light for a carry piece. The only draw backs would be the very heavy recoil with .357 rounds and that it is only a 5 shot.

Both are good guns. I'll occasionally carry a Walther PPK and would bet my life on its reliability. I don't know anything about the new Smith yet (Gun Tests hasn't reviewed it yet), but I'm sure it's solid. I'll probably have the Ruger in the next month or so due to the size and convenience of throwing it in my pocket. They can be had for south of $300. Sig, CZ, and Beretta also make great .380s.

.380 is the most common back up round and the most common CCW round. It's not a bad round. Look at it this way. My first thought is like Tony Starks saying. Think of it as the weapon you only have to fire once. So, in my eyes .44mag is my choice for concealed carry. But in reality you cannot carry something like that, do to the destructive nature of it. Shoot the bad guy and kill three behind him is not so good for you in the end! You might have taken out the bad guy and done the world a favor but now you are answering for 3 murders. oops! Does not really work all that well in court.

Back to the .380's There is a new Walther out that is the tittaayyysss! Uber sweet! The LCP is awesome as well! They are both great guns! Especially for concealed carry. I have recently purchased one for my fiance, if she ever gets her CCW.

Your option. I prefer my 1911 but that is me. I am 6'3" and 230lbs. I can hide it pretty easy. Some cant! Therefore sometimes you need to look for a smaller firearm.

• Upvote 1

I know you are looking at auto's, or least the thread seamed to point that way. Just as the flip side of the coin, don't pass over the revolvers. I have a Smith 340PD. It is the J-frame hammerless that they make in the Scandium alloy frame. Certainly on the more expensive side but it does give you the option to carry 38's or 357mag. It weighs 12 ounces so it is nice and light for a carry piece. The only draw backs would be the very heavy recoil with .357 rounds and that it is only a 5 shot.

I'm with this guy. I carry the j frame and its the cat's ass. The 642/638 model can be had for about 400.

Just pulled up the new Vance's ad. $349.99 with "laaaaazzerrrrrr". I'd drive from Cleveland for $120.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/85488

That's is the one I was talking about, but he is talking about the 38, not 380. It's a revolver.

I believe the Walther is the PPS 9mm... It is sweet but out of my price range.

My wife and I both have the Ruger LCP and love it. They are a great gun to conceal even in the pocket of my swim trunks over the summer! I've put about 400 rounds threw mine and she has put around 250, with no issues. If you look around you can find one for around $280, not $349.

As for the Bodyguard, I was trying to wait to buy a .380 so I could consider that one, but S&W kept pushing back the release. There loss! Since then, I have held one and the only difference I saw was the laser.

That's is the one I was talking about, but he is talking about the 38, not 380. It's a revolver.

I believe the Walther is the PPS 9mm... It is sweet but out of my price range.

You're right, I missed the missing "0".

Before I take off to pick one of these guns up, I have a quick question.

I was planning on going to a basketball game at a public school and I know you are not allowed guns in the school, but if it is in the case not loaded in the car, can it be on the grounds?

Before I take off to pick one of these guns up, I have a quick question.

I was planning on going to a basketball game at a public school and I know you are not allowed guns in the school, but if it is in the case not loaded in the car, can it be on the grounds?

Only if it is a college. Anything 12th grade and under it can't be in the car in the lot. Only in loading and unloading zones is it allowed in the car. IIRC

I tried to get some substance behind an answer for you, but really couldn't find anything other than other people's opinions on other forums. If it were me, I'd park on the side of the street not attached to the school and put it in the trunk or the far back of the SUV. At least you would follow the "unloaded in a closed case in an area not accessible without getting out of the car" loopholes. Someone else (hopefully Chevy) may chime in with some substance. If so, I'll defer to them without a fight. So which one are you getting?

Edit: Yep, listen to Chevy.

2923.122 Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone.

(A) No person shall knowingly convey, or attempt to convey, a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone.

(B) No person shall knowingly possess a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone.

© No person shall knowingly possess an object in a school safety zone if both of the following apply:

(1) The object is indistinguishable from a firearm, whether or not the object is capable of being fired.

(2) The person indicates that the person possesses the object and that it is a firearm, or the person knowingly displays or brandishes the object and indicates that it is a firearm.

(D)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry deadly weapons or dangerous ordnance and is acting within the scope of the officer’s, agent’s, or employee’s duties, a security officer employed by a board of education or governing body of a school during the time that the security officer is on duty pursuant to that contract of employment, or any other person who has written authorization from the board of education or governing body of a school to convey deadly weapons or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone or to possess a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone and who conveys or possesses the deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in accordance with that authorization;

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry deadly weapons or dangerous ordnance, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code, unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (D)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person.

(2) Division © of this section does not apply to premises upon which home schooling is conducted. Division © of this section also does not apply to a school administrator, teacher, or employee who possesses an object that is indistinguishable from a firearm for legitimate school purposes during the course of employment, a student who uses an object that is indistinguishable from a firearm under the direction of a school administrator, teacher, or employee, or any other person who with the express prior approval of a school administrator possesses an object that is indistinguishable from a firearm for a legitimate purpose, including the use of the object in a ceremonial activity, a play, reenactment, or other dramatic presentation, or a ROTC activity or another similar use of the object.

(3) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if, at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun, all of the following apply:

(a) The person does not enter into a school building or onto school premises and is not at a school activity.

(b) The person is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code.

© The person is in the school safety zone in accordance with 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B).

(d) The person is not knowingly in a place described in division (B)(1) or (B)(3) to (10) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code.

(b) The person is the driver or passenger in a motor vehicle and is in the school safety zone while immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child.

© The person is not in violation of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.

(E)(1) Whoever violates division (A) or (B) of this section is guilty of illegal conveyance or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone. Except as otherwise provided in this division, illegal conveyance or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone is a felony of the fifth degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section, illegal conveyance or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a school safety zone is a felony of the fourth degree.

(2) Whoever violates division © of this section is guilty of illegal possession of an object indistinguishable from a firearm in a school safety zone. Except as otherwise provided in this division, illegal possession of an object indistinguishable from a firearm in a school safety zone is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section, illegal possession of an object indistinguishable from a firearm in a school safety zone is a felony of the fifth degree.

(F)(1) In addition to any other penalty imposed upon a person who is convicted of or pleads guilty to a violation of this section and subject to division (F)(2) of this section, if the offender has not attained nineteen years of age, regardless of whether the offender is attending or is enrolled in a school operated by a board of education or for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code, the court shall impose upon the offender a class four suspension of the offender’s probationary driver’s license, restricted license, driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, temporary instruction permit, or probationary commercial driver’s license that then is in effect from the range specified in division (A)(4) of section 4510.02 of the Revised Code and shall deny the offender the issuance of any permit or license of that type during the period of the suspension.

If the offender is not a resident of this state, the court shall impose a class four suspension of the nonresident operating privilege of the offender from the range specified in division (A)(4) of section 4510.02 of the Revised Code.

(2) If the offender shows good cause why the court should not suspend one of the types of licenses, permits, or privileges specified in division (F)(1) of this section or deny the issuance of one of the temporary instruction permits specified in that division, the court in its discretion may choose not to impose the suspension, revocation, or denial required in that division.

(G) As used in this section, “object that is indistinguishable from a firearm” means an object made, constructed, or altered so that, to a reasonable person without specialized training in firearms, the object appears to be a firearm.

Effective Date: 04-08-2004; 03-14-2007; 2008 SB184 09-09-2008