Electric vehicles too quiet. Congress says they must make noise...

Casper

Seriously, it had to happen. I've had a few electro stealths sneak up on me in parking lots. Drivers usually look annoyed, but what did they expect.

I vote for all of the electros to sound like V-twins... brummm brummm brummm brummm

except when they idle...

Seriously, it had to happen. I've had a few electro stealths sneak up on me in parking lots. Drivers usually look annoyed, but what did they expect.

I vote for all of the electros to sound like V-twins... brummm brummm brummm brummm

except when they idle...

Oh, man. Now I have to go read that thread that I conveniently avoided...

I just don't like the gubment getting their noses in more of everyone's bidness...

The bill essentially aims to find a minimum levels of audible output required from a vehicle in order for it to be safety identifiable to those who are vision impaired, and according to The Detroit News, the bill received an overwhelmingly supportive vote of 379-30.

What type of sound, or how loud the sound will need to be is not yet known. Instead, the bill identifies the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as the responsible party for determining those factors in order to allow the blind, children and other otherwise at-risk pedestrians to “reasonably detect a nearby electric or hybrid vehicles” while traveling at slower speeds.

The bill did stipulate, however, that the sound will not be defeat-able by the drivers, meaning there is no option to turn the safety function off like some safety technologies such as traction control sometimes allow.

Currently, most hybrid vehicles on the road lack this technology, but the Nissan Leaf has a device that is said to automatically notify pedestrians of its presense (hey get the hell out of the road!), while the Chevrolet Volt extended range electric vehicle has an activate-able chirping sound (like my KLR?). The Prius does not currently offer such a device, but options are in testing in Japan "Bansiiiii!!!". :lol:

Sounds like a Goldie Locks Story, this ones too loud, this ones too quite and this one is just right. Hell, just make them all sound like fork trucks backing up. That'll boost sales through the roof.:rolleyes:

Edited by buildit

I've had the unfortunate luxury to drive a Hybrid Toyota Prius. It was one of the rental cars on OSU campus. I did not take into account that I'm a big guy trying to fit into a can-o-tuna. Lets just say that that was the first and last time I drove one of em.

This will ruin the drive-by abilities of the hybrids. I own a prius and love it. What the government apparently didn't take into account is all of them have this magical area you press in the center of the steering wheel. Press that and the car makes a noticeably louder honking noise. As for the people not noticing the cars presence its natural selection. "At risk pedestrians" just means people that should be cleared from the gene pool. Look both ways before crossing the street or else you may get slammed into at slow speed by a hippie car. It's not like these cars are silently creeping down the sidewalk chasing down people at 5mph.

As far as parking lots go don't walk in the middle of the lane where cars drive and you'll be ok. It's crazy the government says my bike is too loud and my car too quiet. I just can't win.

This will ruin the drive-by abilities of the hybrids. I own a prius and love it. What the government apparently didn't take into account is all of them have this magical area you press in the center of the steering wheel. Press that and the car makes a noticeably louder honking noise. As for the people not noticing the cars presence its natural selection. "At risk pedestrians" just means people that should be cleared from the gene pool. Look both ways before crossing the street or else you may get slammed into at slow speed by a hippie car. It's not like these cars are silently creeping down the sidewalk chasing down people at 5mph.

As far as parking lots go don't walk in the middle of the lane where cars drive and you'll be ok. It's crazy the government says my bike is too loud and my car too quiet. I just can't win.

so hitler are you suggesting we kill all of the blind people? after they are killed off when can kill all of the tards, so go ahead and get in line

I was talking more about the idiots that wander around in the road way not expecting cars to be there. As far as blind people go the ones I know are smart enough to not play in the road. They are familiar with the areas they walk around in and if they are not they seek assistance. Hybrids when traveling at road speeds make the same amount of noise as most production cars with a working stock exhaust. As far as the parking lots go hopefully the driver of the car would stop or honk the horn to alert a blind person or a tard that they are silently cruising through the parking lot. The point I'm making is we as a country idiot proof everything and make it easy for stupid ass people to thrive. Like all dumb warning labels. For example those windshield sun shades that people put up in their cars when they park them in the sun. They have a warning that says do not drive car with sun shade in place. Do you really want the moron who would try to drive their suv with their windshield blocked unless that warning was there cruising beside you while your on your bike on the highway? I'm not saying kill off people with disabilities. Just allow nature to run its course and allow stupid people to weed themselves out. The worlds over populated anyway.

I've had the unfortunate luxury to drive a Hybrid Toyota Prius. It was one of the rental cars on OSU campus. I did not take into account that I'm a big guy trying to fit into a can-o-tuna. Lets just say that that was the first and last time I drove one of em.

So what you're saying is that the car doesn't need to be louder if the driver keeps screaming in pain from being slowly crushed?:p

I was talking more about the idiots that wander around in the road way not expecting cars to be there.

I see your point. After all there have been two teens hit by trains in central ohio. WE NEED LOUDER TRAINS!!!:rolleyes: Some poeple just can't be saved and deserve extinction.;)

One of the testers on the magazines noted when he was testing a new electric that people and cars were noticing him even less. Maybe we should require all the bikes come equipped with 200 Watt stereos with sub-woofers.

As far as the parking lots go hopefully the driver of the car would stop or honk the horn to alert a blind person or a tard that they are silently cruising through the parking lot.

you say that as if the driver will actually be paying attention to whats going on around them, as opposed to talking/texting on their phone, digging through their purse, changing the radio, eating etc.

i mean, as motorcyclists, we all know how attentive cagers are right?