Where to buy a helmet

junkyardjeff

I have been riding legally for about 15 years and after the first year ditched the helmet,I had been riding enduros up to when I bought the Harley 3 years ago and since it can go faster and I can ride farther now I want to get me a good helmet at a reasonable price. Anybody know where I can get helmets other then the dealers in the Dayton area.

why bother with a half helmet? might as well just not wear a helmet at all and enjoy the breeze

dude in a half helmet smashed his face in out in front of my ex gfs house....car backed out of driveway not looking, he t-boned the car and flew over it...faceplanted and his world was fucked. she ran out to help and said all his teeth were broke out, his face was mangled..he lived, but not any more than if he didnt have a helmet on im guessing, since he didnt actually land on his helmet (except maybe the part at your forehead)...i wouldnt even wanna live from that man, end up looking like golem from lord of the rings for the rest of your life

if my options were half helmet or no helmet, i would say no helmet....get a full face helmet and protect yourself properly

Edited by Steve Butters

I'm not going to bash on the OP for wanting a half-helmet. It's not a choice I would make, but half a helmet is better than no helmet.

that said, it probably makes my endorsement of sportbiketrackgear.com null... I have gotten ridiculous deals on their Scorpion closeouts. they will get my business every time for the EXO 400/700/1000.

For half helmets, I'd suggest trying things on at Iron Pony, and then looking online to see how the pricing compares. I'll pay a small premium to try stuff on in the store, but if it's unreasonable, eff it - buy online.

but half a helmet is better than no helmet.

imo thats like saying riding in sweatpants is better than riding with no pants. maybe marginally they are better, but neither are GOOD.

OP should look at this chart and see where the majority of impacts happen

helmetDamage.gif

Those full face helmets look like they would be too hot in the summer,I know its for safety but I do want to be somewhat comfortable.

Take a look at a modular Nolan. They don't have the full cheekpads as a fullface does and still well rated. Good air flow and you can flip it up to show off your good looks at the stoplights. Prolly the most comfortable of all tbe helmets I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMVPxZW3_oA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

they really arent that bad if you get the right one and stay moving. If you just want to sit in traffic all day well then its not nearly as comfortable. I'm with Pauly here, half helmets seem pointless, better used as an ash tray.

I've ridden once on the open road without a helmet and let me tell you I was far more uncomfortbale without it than I have ever been with it

I wore Buco half helmets back in the day. You do have to be quick enough and smart enough to flip on your back when you un-stick the bike, or turn your head when you hit the ground. I'd also say a half helmet is only good for up to 40-45mph dismount. Can't control events at speeds higher than that.

Open face helmets beat the half helmets easily. But there is still limits to what they can do also. Still need to remember to land somewhere other than face first. I'd say good for a little higher dismount velocity, but not much more.

Full face helmet for higher speeds. Events during a high speed dismount just can't be controlled well enough by the rider.

Really high speeds? Results vary... Mostly not good.

Technically, I quit with the "face in the wind" when city air got rather dirty back in the early 80s. Yes, the air was a lot cleaner before that.

edit: And back on the subject, Iron Pony is a great place to check out and select what helmet you'd like to have. The helmet size varies a bit from one manufacturer to another, as well as the way it will fit any particular head. So it's good to try them on first. I've mail ordered helmets at low prices, once I know what fits and feels good. But if it's a decent price or on sale in a shop, I'd go ahead and get it there. Try out Scorpion and Nolan. They are pretty decent for the prices. The protection level is quite high for the cost. And they do have a fair number of half shells at Iron Pony. Take a look in their on line catalog. Do it right and get an open face or full face helmet to go with it.

Edited by ReconRat

. . . sportbiketrackgear.com null... I have gotten ridiculous deals on their Scorpion closeouts. they will get my business every time for the EXO 400/700/1000.

For half helmets, I'd suggest trying things on at Iron Pony, and then looking online to see how the pricing compares.

I did the same when I purchased both my full face EXO700 and my half helmet EXO100. Every once in a while Iron Pony's price will be about the same as some online retailers, but that's rare.

In reference to the full face/half helmet/no helmet opinions; your ride, your life, your decision. I used to not wear a helmet and now it's rare that I ride without either the half or full face. For me it's a matter of what bike I'm riding or weather conditions. The more I've worn the full face the more I got used to it. Admittedly it's not uncomfortable, as I originally thought it would be.

It looks like I need to go somewhere local to try them on for size before ordering online,I have a full open face helmet but its a little too small. The helmet in the video was neat and might consider it since I would like to listen to music and cant with my bike since it does not have a faring.

Yeah.. I wouldn't buy online unless you know for certain that specific helmet size will fit.

I wear a 'S' in HJC' date=' a 'M' in Arai and Scorpion and Suomi doesn't make a helmet that fits my head.

[/quote']

lol im the same way... i wear a L in some, XL in others, and i tried to find a cheap vega to wear in my car at national trails, and the snell rated vegas i was looking at did not fit my head at all..not even the XXXL i found