Verizon Hot spots-Anyone use it?

chevysoldier

So we have Verizon for our cell phones and we are looking into getting their hot spot internet service. My understanding is it's rechargeable device and you can take it wherever your cell phone will work and access the net. Or when the power goes out it will still work. Will work on up to 5 computers. $50 a month.

Anyone have any experience with these? Thoughts?

disagree with todd on all levels. my girls family had this when i met her and using internet there was a pain in the dick...i guess if you travel a lot, it would be ok, but for home use it was slow as hell...they switched to roadrunner (regular, not turbo) and its infinitely faster

Haven't tried that. However, Android phones can be turned on to act as wireless hot-spot devices too. If you already have an Android, that could save you quite a bit of money.

My wife has an Ally and we could use it, but she works evenings and that would leave me at home without a way to check ORDN.

It is what I had at what is now Kims house for the last 5 years works great. She got custody of it in the split. I live in town now so I have Roadrunner and truthfully dont think RR is any faster.
disagree with todd on all levels. my girls family had this when i met her and using internet there was a pain in the dick...i guess if you travel a lot, it would be ok, but for home use it was slow as hell...they switched to roadrunner (regular, not turbo) and its infinitely faster

Way to be split down the middle. lol. I don't need anything super fast just decent. The ability to take it with me anywhere I want or still have access if the power goes out is a compelling feature. Plus it would just be added into my Verizon bill so that's one less company we have to remember to pay.

Computer issues or no signal, theres no difference that I can tell between RR and the hotspot. And you cant really compare because the mifi hotspot we are talking about is fairly new it's not what they wouldve had when you met her.

For web browsing and stuff, the hotspot will be fine. For downloading files and stuff, it's going to be slower. I don't think you'd be very happy with it.

Is this going to be LTE, Verizon's 4g? Do they have service for that out in P-town yet?

Jamie is bringing the paperwork home with her so I can read into it more. The way she explained it is it's kind of like another line for the phones. She said the speed would be a little bit better than what we have now with Century Link. It's supposed to work anywhere the cell phones work.

todd may be right that its different now...but its exactly what youre describing... separate phone line, little plug in usb internet thing, added on bill, etc etc etc...all the same thing...but they ditched it two years ago, so maybe its changed now or something

todd may be right that its different now...but its exactly what youre describing... separate phone line, little plug in usb internet thing, added on bill, etc etc etc...all the same thing...but they ditched it two years ago, so maybe its changed now or something

My wife said it's all wireless. Plug it into the wall and leave it there or take it off since it's rechargeable and take it with you. No need for a USB. I'll have to see what info she brings home tonight for it.

My wife said it's all wireless. Plug it into the wall and leave it there or take it off since it's rechargeable and take it with you. No need for a USB. I'll have to see what info she brings home tonight for it.

It is wireless and the size of credit card. You can plug it into the wall or the USB port on the computer for power and charging.

FYI I just got quoted $20/month for Droid hotspot but then you have to have a $29.99 internet service on your phone. They make it as confusing as possible. And the other thing is called a MIFI that handles up to 5 computers at once. It looks like a MP4 player. Don't forget i think your computer or laptop has to has wifi you can't plug the thing into it.

Correction....You can plug your MiFi into a laptop or computer if the laptop or computer does not have WiFi. But then the MiFi can only be used for one device it will not open up wifi for other devices.

Just keep in mind , you get limited downloads with the mifi or using mobile as hotspot , so if you are into alot of streaming vidoes or downloading , regular internet is way better.

I tried using Verizon's hotspot on the palmpreplus " it's free on that phone and that phone only so far "

Sucked , it Sucked big time .

just saying.