Guy takes on TSA, gets arrested, gets acquitted just as fast

Casper

I had a friend who's sister is in a wheel char and every time they go to the airport a "random" check is done on her chair. WTF people really its a bit excessive....

shes rolling around in a big metal chair...of course its going to get checked at the airport :wtf:

i dont want some muslim chick pretending to be wheelchair bound so she can smuggle crap through security inside of her unchecked chair... its not like theyre strip searching her, you clearly said they check her chair and not her...thats no different than people having to take off their shoes

shes rolling around in a big metal chair...of course its going to get checked at the airport :wtf:

i dont want some muslim chick pretending to be wheelchair bound so she can smuggle crap through security inside of her unchecked chair... its not like theyre strip searching her, you clearly said they check her chair and not her...thats no different than people having to take off their shoes

Which could be argued to be a bit overboard, as well.

Muslim?

how about instead of rolling your eyes, explain your side? why should shoes not have to be checked?

i dont want richard reid playing footsie on any flight im on

Bombs can be worked into any piece of clothing. So clearly there should be a 100% strip search policy when traveling.

Bombs can be worked into any piece of clothing. So clearly there should be a 100% strip search policy when traveling.

and again, how about trying to explain why you think shoes should not be checked?

if you have a bomb knitted into your t-shirt somehow, im pretty sure the wand would pick it up when you step through the scanner and it goes off...if its in a shoe, its down at the ground where its unlikely to even get scanned - and considering most shoes have some sort of metal in/on them, it would drastically slow security lines to wand every single passenger who has little metal eyelets for their shoe laces...furthermore, if you wanted to plant a bomb inside of a shoe, using a shoe with metal eyelets would be a great excuse, or even a steel toed boot... then its going to beep for sure, and you could play it off "oh its just my shoe lace holes and my steel toe" and the wand wouldnt know otherwise....hence the scanner....a steel toe shoe is going to beep either way, so do you suggest that the wand is enough security to check shoes without anybody ever having to remove them?

a shoe bomb configued in this manner

6a00e398246ac98833012876c8905a970c-800wi

using a steel toe work boot - would be 100% impossible to detect without running it through a scanner - if used with certain brand boots

my work boots have a steel support shank that runs the entire length of the boot, right under the sole....so my boot would beep in the toe, the heel, and everywhere else

Edited by Steve Butters

and again, how about trying to explain why you think shoes should not be checked?

if you have a bomb knitted into your t-shirt somehow, im pretty sure the wand would pick it up when you step through the scanner and it goes off...if its in a shoe, its down at the ground where its unlikely to even get scanned - and considering most shoes have some sort of metal in/on them, it would drastically slow security lines to wand every single passenger who has little metal eyelets for their shoe laces...furthermore, if you wanted to plant a bomb inside of a shoe, using a shoe with metal eyelets would be a great excuse, or even a steel toed boot... then its going to beep for sure, and you could play it off "oh its just my shoe lace holes and my steel toe" and the wand wouldnt know otherwise....hence the scanner....a steel toe shoe is going to beep either way, so do you suggest that the wand is enough security to check shoes without anybody ever having to remove them?

Richard Reeds shoe bomb wasn't made of metals. Apparently you have a fear of steel toed boots and eyelets in shoes.

Richard Reeds shoe bomb wasn't made of metals.

ok so it would not beep in a metal detector

so without a scanner to check shoes, it would be impossible to detect shoe bombs

so again...why should shoes not be checked in a scanner? do you think its alright for non-metal shoe bombs to be allowed onto planes, simply because they didnt beep in the metal detector?

apparently though, you cant come up with any logical reason for shoes to NOT be checked, so i guess im done trying to debate with ya since all you have is wit and sarcasm regarding this topic

4th Amendment?

how so? checking shoes doesnt seem unreasonable to me after what happened with richard reid

do you think people should not be checked at all at airport security? as in, remove the entire security checkpoint from air ports and let people fend for themselves, since its unconstitutional to check them for weapons?

ok so it would not beep in a metal detector

so without a scanner to check shoes, it would be impossible to detect shoe bombs

so again...why should shoes not be checked in a scanner? do you think its alright for non-metal shoe bombs to be allowed onto planes, simply because they didnt beep in the metal detector?

apparently though, you cant come up with any logical reason for shoes to NOT be checked, so i guess im done trying to debate with ya since all you have is wit and sarcasm regarding this topic

Shoes made with explosives in them won't be picked up when put on the belt either. That requires a chemical check....

You're not putting up much of a debate.

When are people going to finally realize that profiling in NOT PC but IS a major deterrent to terrorists. Just about EVERY country in the world uses it but us....don't want to draw the lawsuits from the uclu. EVERY AVIATION terrorist attack has been committed by the same religious group and from the same area of the world. GET REAL FOLKS ! THOSE THAT WILL GIVE UP THEIR FREEDOMS FOR SECURITY DESERVE NEITHER. ben franklin

Shoes made with explosives in them won't be picked up when put on the belt either. That requires a chemical check....

You're not putting up much of a debate.

a detonator and fuse running from the base of the shoe up to the tongue, would show up - even if the substance wasnt identified. you would be able to physically see the fuse on the scanner

also - new scanners are in the works

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/10/new-scanning-de.php

how so? checking shoes doesnt seem unreasonable to me after what happened with richard reid

do you think people should not be checked at all at airport security? as in, remove the entire security checkpoint from air ports and let people fend for themselves, since its unconstitutional to check them for weapons?

I consider it unreasonable to think all this checking will make you secure. The shoe bomber got THROUGH security, so the search is unreasonable because it's ineffective. Like fusion pointed out... some items can only be detected by chemical means, so I don't understand the knee-jerk reaction to implement people remove their shoes. It's silly.

Edited by JRMMiii
  • Upvote 1

a detonator and fuse running from the base of the shoe up to the tongue, would show up - even if the substance wasnt identified. you would be able to physically see the fuse on the scanner

also - new scanners are in the works

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/10/new-scanning-de.php

Only if the detonator and fuse were enough a different density to stand out from the rest of the shoe. Wouldn't take much thought or effort to hide them/make them blend in with the rest of the show.

Why did you say "all airport security"? It's not even a reasonably worded question.

because i meant all....obviously it is ineffective because people get through it, therefore according to jrmmiii it is unreasonable. so if its unreasonable, should it be removed?

should metal detectors, and the scanning belts be removed?

You eliminate the time wasting redundancies and the ineffective portions. Ineffective security measures include poorly trained people. Ideally, the system would have near minimal human involvement. The fact that there are humans in the process make it inherently flawed.