Guy takes on TSA, gets arrested, gets acquitted just as fast

Casper

Look at me look at me

In some cases, I think you're right, but in this case I think of it more as "civil disobedience."

He's DOING something rather than just bitching about it, and then being a pussy and turning off his camera just because the man in the blue shirt told him too.

Whether or not this particular "battle" is worth fighting is debatable, but I can appreciate that he's standing up for privacy rights.

In some cases, I think you're right, but in this case I think of it more as "civil disobedience."

He's DOING something rather than just bitching about it, and then being a pussy and turning off his camera just because the man in the blue shirt told him too.

Whether or not this particular "battle" is worth fighting is debatable, but I can appreciate that he's standing up for privacy rights.

Something this big doesn't go away on it's own, there needs to be little victories that establish precedent bit by bit until the entire thing is knocked down.

i would agree if he was legitimately using his camera for something....his attitude and demeanor make it appear that he went in there for the sole purpose of causing trouble, right or wrong

i would agree if he was legitimately using his camera for something....his attitude and demeanor make it appear that he went in there for the sole purpose of causing trouble, right or wrong

being a bit of a douche isn't against the law. Photography of a public area isn't against the law. Refusing an unlawful order isn't against the law either. Sure, you might get arrested (unlawfully, it could be argued) for it, but I suppose we should all just sit back and take it up the ass, eh?

Everyone thinks this is a great idea until Osama the Bomber gets on a plane with a bomb because he didn't show his ID and refused the patdown that would have discovered the bomb that he had in his underware. Without showing his ID at the checkpoint, any unknown person can enter a secured area and get on a plane. My wife and I purchase tickets and print boarding passes on our computer at home. Without showing ID at the checkpoint, any person with a lexan knife can enter a restricted area, board a plane, take it over, and crash it into the Statue of Liberty if they wanted. This is a very slippery slope!

Everyone thinks this is a great idea until Osama the Bomber gets on a plane with a bomb because he didn't show his ID and refused the patdown that would have discovered the bomb that he had in his underware. Without showing his ID at the checkpoint, any unknown person can enter a secured area and get on a plane. My wife and I purchase tickets and print boarding passes on our computer at home. Without showing ID at the checkpoint, any person with a lexan knife can enter a restricted area, board a plane, take it over, and crash it into the Statue of Liberty if they wanted. This is a very slippery slope!

4/10. Needs to be a little more obscure. You can do better.

being a bit of a douche isn't against the law. Photography of a public area isn't against the law. Refusing an unlawful order isn't against the law either. Sure, you might get arrested (unlawfully, it could be argued) for it, but I suppose we should all just sit back and take it up the ass, eh?

i didnt say i agree he should be prosecuted, but if you walk into an airport with the sole purpose of causing trouble, you have to almost expect to get arrested. my original comment was "Look at me look at me" which i still stand by. What he did has no actual purpose except to draw attention to himself, but go ahead and twist that all up to where i agree he should get a boot to the mouth for being a terrorist, or wherever you feel like taking it :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve Butters

Good for him. He did nothing wrong. It's not illegal to not have ID like IP said. It's not illegal to record anything in a public place, there is ZERO expectation of privacy in a public place. He did not record anything (from the video I saw anyways) that was sensitive information. The TSA needs to be put in their place and the officers should have told the TSA to screw themselves because the dude was doing nothing wrong.

i didnt say i agree he should be prosecuted, but if you walk into an airport with the sole purpose of causing trouble, you have to almost expect to get arrested. my original comment was "Look at me look at me" which i still stand by. What he did has no actual purpose except to draw attention to himself, but go ahead and twist that all up to where i agree he should get a boot to the mouth for being a terrorist, or wherever you feel like taking it :rolleyes:

He has every right to walk where ever he wants to. He didn't cause any trouble, didn't keep them from performing their duties, didn't show sensitive information, didn't get in their way or anything. All he did was record the TSA doing their "job". He didn't draw attention to himself but drew attention to the TSA.

Yes. I'm sure he knew exactly what was going to happen. That's why he remembered to say' date=' "I don't consent" on film. That's why he remembered to say, "It's not against the law..." on film. That's why he brought the camera and left it on as long as possible. The entire reason was to get arrested on film. If it doesn't happen on film nobody will ever look or care. Then, nothing will ever change.[/quote']

This. He researched everything before hand and knew exactly what to say and how to say it.

He has every right to walk where ever he wants to. He didn't cause any trouble, didn't keep them from performing their duties, didn't show sensitive information, didn't get in their way or anything. All he did was record the TSA doing their "job". He didn't draw attention to himself but drew attention to the TSA.

I think it's more accurate to say that the TSA drew all the attention to him, and to them.

I don't recommend just anyone do (maybe if everyone would, things would change) what he did, but I appreciate it, and stand by his right to do so! Most people would not know how to hand the situation and would end up in a heaping pile of trouble. I like how he remained calm, and never raised his voice, even once. I doubt I could do that.