Important FYI: Riders heading to Daytona Bike Week

Bubba

Through-Georgia Alert.

Motorcycle Checkpoints On Your Way To Daytona Bike Week.

Published by Cyril Huze February 12th, 2011 in Editorial and Events.

From Dan Forrest, State Director of A.B.A.T.E. Georgia.

“Motorcycle Checkpoints to begin in March. As many of you know, the State of Georgia received $70,000.00 from the NSTB for Motorcycle ONLY Safety Check Points. They will stop all Motorcycles at these Check Points.

We were informed by unnamed sources that the Check Points would start in early March to coincide with the Daytona Bike Week event. Most points of entry to Florida will be involved. We are anticipating them to start March 3rd in order to take advantage of the additional flow of Motorcycle traffic thru our State. I was told that the officers conducting the safety check points have been trained in what to check for so be sure you, your paper work and your bike are in order.

We understand that this is just a way to increase revenues, so do all you can to avoid adding to the state funds. There are many who trailer into Georgia and ride into Florida from here. You may wish to change your plans and trailer on through to Florida”

100% agree that it's time wasting, and seems borderline iffy on the ethics scale to stop every bike, but if your stuff is in order you have nothing to worry about. If your stuff isn't in order you shouldn't be out riding IMHO. Good looking out for those going.

Well if your stuff is in order you have nothing to worry about.

right, and if you havent done anything illegal you shoul just let the cops search your house and monitor your phone calls too.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm naive, but what are they looking for?

"the State of Georgia received $70,000.00 from the NSTB for Motorcycle ONLY Safety Check Points"

They did this in Utah at the superbike races. Caused a major traffic CF that they ended up issuing an apology for. It involved stopping EVERY SINGLE motorcycle and giving them some sort of safety lecture among other things.

Basically the out-of-touch-with-reality folks in the government who get paid to solve problems thought this would be an effective coutermeasure to motorcycle accident statistics.

P.S. Here's a copy of an AMA release on Utah: http://www.amasupercross.com/viewamanews.aspx?id=2017

Edited by brn6604
added link

I'm not going, never would. My ":nono:" was in reference to them just wanting another way to rob citizens of their hard earned cash. This is time wasted. Stopping every fucking biker. Give me a fucking break assholes.

Yup - gotta agree with ya. Are they trying to piss people off and make them not wanna go to Daytona? Just another nail in the coffin of a shitty event.

right, and if you havent done anything illegal you shoul just let the cops search your house and monitor your phone calls too.
cash-money.jpg

These 2 posts made me laugh. :lol:

P.S. Here's a copy of an AMA release on Utah: http://www.amasupercross.com/viewamanews.aspx?id=2017

Wow that story pissed me off. Educating safety to all motorcyclists like everyone on them don't know what safety is. Let me hear about your safety lesson you non-motorcycle riding asshole!

This statement from that link: "Our intention was to educate riders on safety issues and try our best to reduce the rising rate of deaths on Utah roadways from motorcycle riders. The rate of deaths of Utah motorcycle riders is the only fatality rate which is increasing while every other category is decreasing." Really pisses me off because there are hundreds or thousands of new riders every year. More ANYTHING on roads will cause more statistics. Get some common sense you pricks. Yeah, I'm a little pissed and tired of shit like this. Each day I hate government and most laws more and more. :lol: Michael Douglas in FALLING DOWN is my hero. :lol:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Down

Edited by NinjaNick

Well if your stuff is in order you have nothing to worry about.

All my stuff is in order, but I still worry about getting singled out just because I ride a motorcycle while anyone going by the same checkpoint in a car, truck, whatever, gets an automatic free pass.

Well maybe not so much that I worry about it but that I get PISSED OFF about it.

Washington DC is just trying to help us poor ignorant people live our lives.

Unfortunately the people in DC can be quite ignorant themselves.

Same as other checkpoints, vehicles are stopped only when an officer is available. All others are waved past. It appears that in Utah, that trying to wave over one of a group of motorcycles caused all of the group to stop. Which is logical when traveling in a group of motorcycles. That unexpected reaction was unprepared for in terms of being able to handle the unexpected volume. Aggravated of course, by having both a large volume of motorcycles and groups of motorcycles that day at that location, because of the local event. Which of course was intentional, at the state level, to maximize results and get it done and over with and collect that federal cash for doing it.

Which means the state was ignorant in their planning also.

But they are just trying to help us poor ignorant people live our lives.

This post is totally disregarding the fact that this is probably stimulus funding, that we will be paying back in taxes for many many years.

note: I'm considering buying stock of motorcycle trailer manufacturers...

All my stuff is in order, but I still worry about getting singled out just because I ride a motorcycle while anyone going by the same checkpoint in a car, truck, whatever, gets an automatic free pass.

Kinda like racial/religious profiling

I remember that New York started this type of "inspect them all" several years ago. So I looked it up. Here's how it went for them:

Reducing Motorcycle Fatalities through Checkpoints and Education: The New York State Experience

By Major David A. Salmon, Director of Traffic Services, New York State Police, Albany, New York

...All motorcyclists were directed by three portable variable message signs (VMSs) to exit the Interstate into the rest area. Once in the rest area, riders were directed to a coned-off area, where they were inspected by members of the State Police Motorcycle Unit, SP-SIU, and DMV-FIU. Traffic tickets were subsequently written by troopers and other law enforcement officers. Safety violations, such as illegal helmets and unlicensed operation, were the primary focus of officers, although riders were cited for other violations as well, including illegal exhaust systems, for example. Investigators inspected selected bikes for suspected vehicle identification number (VIN) issues. Public information and educational materials were distributed to all riders and passengers. In fact, the safety and education aspect was stressed at a preoperation briefing, where all aspects of the detail were discussed.

The NYSP took great care to plan for fleeing motorcyclists and in fact fully expected flights to happen. In an effort to apprehend any such fleeing riders, an NYSP Chevrolet Camaro (a designated chase car) was positioned near the entrance to the rest area. Another patrol vehicle with a license plate reader unit was also positioned near the entrance. At the first exit down the road from the motorcycle checkpoint, the NYSP set up a seat belt checkpoint both to apprehend any fleeing bikers who attempted to jump off at the next available exit and to make use of the personnel waiting for them at that site. Finally, an aerial speed enforcement detail was conducted approximately five miles down the road from the motorcycle checkpoint, both to have aircraft already in the air in the event of a pursuit and to use the aircraft for additional speed enforcement...

And their results:
...Eleven motorcyclists did pass the entrance to the rest area without stopping, but once the marked patrol vehicle pulled out behind them, all of them stopped and were inspected (all claimed not to have seen the VMS messages). Approximately 280 bikes passed through the inspection zone, of which 225 were inspected. To avoid backups during heavy-volume periods, 55 riders were waved through the checkpoint. Of the 104 traffic tickets issued, the most common violation was for operating with an unapproved helmet (41 tickets issued), while the second most common violation was for illegal exhaust (7 citations issued). Three motorcycles were referred for further investigation for nonconforming VINs...

Cliff's Notes:

Your odds in New York MC checkpoint:

100% of having to stop

80% of being inspected

41% of receiving a traffic citation

16% of receiving citation for unapproved helmet

20% of being waved through

4% of "missing" the signs to stop

3% of receiving citation for illegal exhaust

1% of being "referred" for non conforming VINs

For the record: There are safety checkpoints in Ohio during good weather. They inspect motorcycles also. I've actually tried to stop at some, and they just wave me on down the road. Zero inspections.

Edited by ReconRat