WTB: Motorcycle Alarm under $300

Jst2fst

Ok, I want to by an alarm for the new bike once I get it. I've been lookin around the web and found some decent ones I think. Looking to spend under $300 for it. Ones I've found so far have a tilt/shock sensor and perimeter sensor w/ ignition immobilizer. Does anyone have one on their bike and or know of any good ones to use. I want to get this before I put the bike in my garage. Thanks for the help

Here are a few that I found so far I like the Scorpio and Inter Natrix so far:

Inter Natrix

http://internatrix.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=52&osCsid=44edeaf30c31db190d522b207180ab2f

Scorpio i500SW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Scorpio-SR-I500SW-Motorcycle-Alarm-w-Paging-Remote-/130483128781?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e616689cd

Commando Alarm

http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm3003965.htm

Gorilla Alarm

http://www.bikebandit.com/gorilla-cycle-alarm-with-remote-transmitter

Ignition immobilizers are basically worthless. A motorcycle can be picked up by a person (or people) and moved without being powered on, so how exactly is a ignition immobilizer going to solve that dilemma? I can only assume you live near campus, so that means that the audible alarm is worthless to everyone but you (well-established fact that no one pays attention to car alarms)

Basically you're going to stop joyriders, but you're not going to stop the guys in the white van that pick the bike up and throw it in. The only way to get your bike back in that event is to have an alarm with GPS.

Ignition immobilizers are basically worthless. A motorcycle can be picked up by a person (or people) and moved without being powered on, so how exactly is a ignition immobilizer going to solve that dilemma? I can only assume you live near campus, so that means that the audible alarm is worthless to everyone but you (well-established fact that no one pays attention to car alarms)

Basically you're going to stop joyriders, but you're not going to stop the guys in the white van that pick the bike up and throw it in. The only way to get your bike back in that event is to have an alarm with GPS.

completely agree. I love my bikes but rather just carry full insurance than worry about buying an alarm or preventative theft type unit that can always be worked around. if they want the bike, they are going to get it no matter what kind of preventative unit you have IMO

I have the Gorilla on mine and works good but disconnected it due to battery dying. Not sure if it was that or just a weak battery when I bought the bike. If you had the iPhone, I believe the Scorpio connects through GPS and you get alerts on your phone if it is moved, messed with, or whatever. Maybe it was a different alarm that did that, can't remember... I have the bike paid off so my home owners insurance covers my loss if stolen...

Yes, I live near campus. Its gonna be kept in the garage I just want to have some more protection on it when I'm home and when I go out. I thought about lojack but I've seen some systems run about $600 and the website says it only works in certain areas. Plus they don't use gps to track.

question - are you looking for a locking device/alarm to prevent the bike from being stolen when you leave it parked in public, or are you looking for a means of securing it at your residence, but don't have a garage?

I have a garage to keep it in stays locked all the time

Waste of money. Put the $300 towards comprehensive coverage that protects from fire, theft, acts of god, etc.

Otherwise you'll throw money on a bike that will get stolen anyways and then you'll be out the value of the bike and the alarm system.

I've already got that covered full coverage on the bike once I have it. Don't want to get into insurance been there done that :nono:. I just one for some added security given that nothing is guaranteed to work 100% in preventing theft.

I've already got that covered full coverage on the bike once I have it. Don't want to get into insurance been there done that :nono:. I just one for some added security given that nothing is guaranteed to work 100% in preventing theft.

I had the same mentality when I got my bike, I said I wanted the added peace of mind. Then my cousins friend got his bike stolen that had a scorpio alarm and some lock on the wheel on top of the factory bar lock. He didn't have full coverage so he wasted like $800 and his shit still got taken.

That was when I realized just to carry full coverage, at least if its stolen I'm gonna get my money to get another bike

I had the same mentality when I got my bike, I said I wanted the added peace of mind. Then my cousins friend got his bike stolen that had a scorpio alarm and some lock on the wheel on top of the factory bar lock. He didn't have full coverage so he wasted like $800 and his shit still got taken.

That was when I realized just to carry full coverage, at least if its stolen I'm gonna get my money to get another bike

The ones that I put links for range from $100-$350 for the system. In the event it was to be stolen I don;t want to put too much into it you know. Call it overkill or what ever I'd just feel better having it cause its a newer bike than the Kat.

The ones that I put links for range from $100-$350 for the system. In the event it was to be stolen I don;t want to put too much into it you know. Call it overkill or what ever I'd just feel better having it cause its a newer bike than the Kat.

what I meant was the $800 was in multiple devices he had...hes since had full coverage and said f it :)

Save the money....if anything i would consider one of those motion detector alarms that send off a high decibel alarm to atleast alert people around that the bike is being stolen.

Most of the thefts I hear about, the bike was picked up and thrown into a truck/van making the ignition mobilizer obsolete. atleast an high decibel alarm would alert you and others to the bike being moved...ie witnesses to the theft.

I still think putting an alarm on something you can pick up and move is wasted money.

$300 would buy you a very nice tank/tail bag, a big honkin' chain, and a good pad-lock. Park near lamp-posts. That's the only way you're really keeping anything that you can pick up from being taken.

Actually, if you got a long enough chain, and 2 locks, you could secure the chain around the base of a fire hydrant, and probably not piss off any cops or meter maids. there always seems to be room to park a bike in front of the last car before the hydrant too...

go to flea bay for it and buy cheap

You do not want to buy a cheap chain. Given enough leverage you can chop through a cheap metal chain that looks thick as hell in seconds flat, and seeing as there would be a few people and the van right there, the bike is gone. Do some research, but be prepared to spend some coin.

I think a paging alarm is the only hope. If it can notify you as soon as it's touched, you may have a chance.

Yea, each one of the LCD remotes is a 2-Way pager that alerts you when the alarm triggers a sounds and vibrations go off to alert you of trouble.

My Tuono came with the aprilia accessories alarm system installed...

It knocks $6/year off of my insurance premium. That, and a case of tinnitus because I forget about it and then move the bike in the garage while the fob is in the house.

But at least I get to do the 'chirp-chirp-flash-flash' when I park...

There was a thread on here about someone using a cell phone powered off the bike and stuck under their seat. Then a website used for tracking the cell phone. I can't for the life of me remember the website or thread. Maybe someone else will.